2020 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

IchDien

by IchDien

Scary that my first though when seeing this was "We've all been there..."

pastronef

by pastronef

by Weenie

themidge

by themidge

Do pro cyclists always talk about "the bike" rather than "my bike"?

I suppose when it isn't really yours you don't get as attached to it as we enthusiasts :D

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

themidge wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:33 pm
Do pro cyclists always talk about "the bike" rather than "my bike"?

I suppose when it isn't really yours you don't get as attached to it as we enthusiasts :D
Haha, never thought about it like that but you're 100% right!

pinoymamba

by pinoymamba

Lens distortion and low weight makes his head massive.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:01 pm
Does the UCI no longer apply the 5cm rule to the nose of the saddle verus the bottom bracket? Wheelbase seems a bit long as we don''t usually see that much space between the seat tube and tire.
To all intents and purposes no, it doesn't. With a morphological exemption the saddle tip can be brought inline with the BB instead of limited to 5cm behind. There are also no qualifying criteria needed to get a morphological exemption except asking for one. The only time now that a saddle tip needs to be 5cm back from the BB is on a TT bike when the extension tips are more than 75cm in front of the BB.

"The peak of the saddle can be moved forward until the vertical line passing through the bottom bracket spindle where that is necessary for morphological reasons. By morphological reasons should be understood everything to do with the size and limb length of the rider.
Any rider who, for these reasons, considers that he needs to use a bicycle of lesser dimensions than those given shall inform the commissaires' panel to that effect at the time of the bike check
."

flying

by flying

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:00 pm
How did they manage to pack so much ugly into one bike, I wonder?
:lol: :lol: :lol: +1

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Dan Gerous wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:00 pm

The UCI never show up to check bikes setup for off-season team launches and marketing photo shoots. :mrgreen:

He does race with the saddle slammed forward like that. Doing some pixel peeping/measuring, it looks like the nose-BB distance is ~47mm. 3mm short of the UCI rule. It's possible they've deemed this close enough or he has one of those "morphological exceptions." Frankly, all he'd need to do is use a saddle with a 5mm shorter nose. One of the new stubby fi'zi:k saddles is quite close to the Antares in shape.

flying

by flying

Bjarne Riis to return to WorldTour as Team NTT manager

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/7561/bja ... T2xp9tHLFE

:noidea:

AJS914

by AJS914

No idea about what? He should get a pass like the rest of the ex-dopers in cycling.

flying

by flying

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:40 am
No idea about what? He should get a pass like the rest of the ex-dopers in cycling.
:lol: :lol: I had no idea he was still around or "involved" at all.

Yeah for myself makes no difference....I lost my rose colored glasses back when Pedro Delgado tested
positive for probenecid, during the 1988 tour :wink:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The term ex-doper is interesting because we now understand that mitochondrial fitness never really goes away, much like fat cells don't go away. So once you dope, your body is enhanced permanently. Not to say we shouldn't forgive these individuals. I do some group rides with ex-world tour riders who almost certainly doped. They unapologetically drop me when the roads tilt up, but it turns out they're pretty normal personalities who were tempted by magic beans and made bad choices.

osw000

by osw000

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:16 am
The term ex-doper is interesting because we now understand that mitochondrial fitness never really goes away, much like fat cells don't go away. So once you dope, your body is enhanced permanently. Not to say we shouldn't forgive these individuals. I do some group rides with ex-world tour riders who almost certainly doped. They unapologetically drop me when the roads tilt up, but it turns out they're pretty normal personalities who were tempted by magic beans and made bad choices.
Do you mean that if they drop you is because they still have the magic beans effect inside not because they have a better engine?

osw000

by osw000

Double post

by Weenie

maquisard

by maquisard

flying wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:35 am
Bjarne Riis to return to WorldTour as Team NTT manager

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/7561/bja ... T2xp9tHLFE

:noidea:
Nothing wrong with that, Riis is a great manager. Loved him as a rider and a manager with CSC/Saxo :thumbup: