2020 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

wingguy wrote:
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:39 pm
Looks like he brought Richard Mille as a sponsor to the team with him.
No, McLaren brought Richard Mille. They’ve got a sponsorship/co-branding relationship going way back.
What took them so long then? With the timing, it makes more sense that the brand came because of Cav.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

jcrr

by jcrr

wjs wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:22 pm
I believe that Sam Gaze also joined the MVP team. I am very interested to see what he can bring to the spring classics.

And if they will ride cape epic as a team. Would be great!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Besides Gaze's move, I read a few days ago on instagram that Sascha Modolo is also part of Alpecin Fenix .

EDIT: Here is a link with the Canyon press release with other notable names. Read all about it!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/corendon- ... gning.html

My question is, if Tim Merlier is now officially a part of the MvDP party train, why is he still racing in the Creafin Fristads kit?
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

'

wjs

by wjs

ooo wrote:01.01.2020 MvdP "new" shoes:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=159425&p=1538407#p1538407
I believe that they are still Shimano shoes. Just customs painted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6uUh1_hmIA ... xoby6ioazl

Attermann

by Attermann

That looks like a pair of s-works

wingguy

by wingguy

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:32 pm
wingguy wrote:
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:39 pm
Looks like he brought Richard Mille as a sponsor to the team with him.
No, McLaren brought Richard Mille. They’ve got a sponsorship/co-branding relationship going way back.
What took them so long then? With the timing, it makes more sense that the brand came because of Cav.
The team was only rebranded Bahrain-McLaren in December, months after Cav signed. So...?

And really, Richard Mille once have Cav a watch. Cool. They’ve sponsored McLaren for a decade and market several models of watch as a partnership with them. Which makes more sense?

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

wingguy wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:46 pm
The team was only rebranded Bahrain-McLaren in December, months after Cav signed. So...?

And really, Richard Mille once have Cav a watch. Cool. They’ve sponsored McLaren for a decade and market several models of watch as a partnership with them. Which makes more sense?
You're probably right about the cycling partnership having more to do with the F1 team but the 50% stake in the team sponsorship was initially announced just over a year ago, IIRC.
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:10 pm
wingguy wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:46 pm

You're probably right about the cycling partnership having more to do with the F1 team but the 50% stake in the team sponsorship was initially announced just over a year ago, IIRC.
The team and McLaren are both owned by arms of the Bahraini sovereign wealth funds. I am sure the McLaren "50% stake" was just an accounting entry between Bahraini entities.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

jcrr wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:31 pm
wjs wrote:
I believe that Sam Gaze also joined the MVP team. I am very interested to see what he can bring to the spring classics.

My question is, if Tim Merlier is now officially a part of the MvDP party train, why is he still racing in the Creafin Fristads kit?
IIRC Merlier's agreement with Correndon/Alpecin was only for road racing.

jcrr

by jcrr

Fisherfreerider wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:00 pm
jcrr wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:31 pm
wjs wrote:

IIRC Merlier's agreement with Correndon/Alpecin was only for road racing.
Me thinks that is myopic. Merlier is extremely good in the mud as well, and would make a worthy team addition now that Tom Meeusen is gone.

For me, it highlights the likely very complex world these women and men live in... contractual conditions, money, availability of opportunities, personal choices, etc...
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

Willier

by Willier

Can someone tell me, why are Cofidis on Fulcrum wheels and not Campagnolo like last year, if they are using Campagnolo groupset (I know this is basically same company and all that....)

chorus88

by chorus88

+delete
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

eins4eins

by eins4eins

jcrr wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:47 pm
Me thinks that is myopic. Merlier is extremely good in the mud as well, and would make a worthy team addition now that Tom Meeusen is gone.

For me, it highlights the likely very complex world these women and men live in... contractual conditions, money, availability of opportunities, personal choices, etc...
Its exactly the opposite to myopic.
Cyclocross is very different in terms of team set up and contracts. Both Corendon and Creafin along some other teams are owned by the same guys, the Roodhooft brothers.
Their strategy is to host different teams, basically to offer more advertising space and offer a better show. Instead of having one team with one big title sponsor (who is not easy to find), they run several teams with different, smaller sponsors. To make this work, they need good riders in every team who are able to ride in the front and showcase their sponsors colors.
MvdP is the poster child for Alpecin-Fenix and Merlier for Creafin, but in the end their both part of the same Roodhooft team.

Miller

by Miller

ooo wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:06 pm
MVDP new kit on todays race in Baal
Bit wrinkly, did they have nothing left in his size?

ooo

by ooo

He was wearing extra jacket, it was photo from pre-race training session

Still nothing on https://www.alpecin-fenix.com/
ALPECIN-FENIX
Learn more on the 3rd of January 2020
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com