Short nose saddles vs. classic saddles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I, too, love selective quoting. We know what you meant.
fad
/fad/
noun
an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.
Cutout saddles are not new. They have been around for decades. Short-nosed saddles either. ISM has been around since the 90s. Pretty sure they have withstood the test of time already.

Patb095

by Patb095

Lewn777 wrote:
Senario A: People are all different what might suit one person might completely not suit someone else. Therefore that also means recommending your favorite saddle to other people is pointless, unless they already like a similar saddle.
I don’t agree with you because if I found my saddle, that’s after I went and see 3 different bike shop and they all 3 recommended me to try this saddle. After trying 3 other saddle I finally decided to give it a shot. If they wouldn’t have recommended me this saddle I wouldn’t have known it even exist in the first place.

Every one butt is different, I agree on that.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Patb095 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:28 am
Lewn777 wrote:
Senario A: People are all different what might suit one person might completely not suit someone else. Therefore that also means recommending your favorite saddle to other people is pointless, unless they already like a similar saddle.
I don’t agree with you because if I found my saddle, that’s after I went and see 3 different bike shop and they all 3 recommended me to try this saddle. After trying 3 other saddle I finally decided to give it a shot. If they wouldn’t have recommended me this saddle I wouldn’t have known it even exist in the first place.

Every one butt is different, I agree on that.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Yeah but I've owned about 30 saddles and rented and borrowed bikes with more than that. If I had what people recommended I'd have about a 20% chance of not hating it. I saw a Youtube video with a professional bike fitter trying to push customers towards the PRO stealth saddle, honestly I wanted to punch the guy in the face. If there were one saddle everyone should be on why doesn't every OEM bike come with it and it totally dominate the market? Why are there hundreds of saddles to choose from?

It happens like this: Guy with wide sit-bones and sensitive scrotum buys a bike. He uses the OEM saddle but it's uncomfortable, eventually finds a stubby nosed saddle with a hole in it and it suits his anatomy much better, feels it's an epiphany. Becomes convinced that everyone could experience this improvement 'if only' they could be convinced to stop using long flat saddles and start using stubby saddles with holes in them. But it's actually just him or around 30-50% of riders that will experience any improvement with that kind of saddle and not everyone.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There are like two people in this thread who said everyone should like "X" saddles, but keep ranting.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

TobinHatesYou wrote: keep ranting.
+1

Ypuh

by Ypuh

I've tried the Pro Stealth saddle, coming from a regular Antares and Arione. The wide flat nose and little/no padding was not for me and I felt saddle sores for the first time in my life (I ride +/- 10k/y). After 2-3 rides I went back to the Antares, this time the Open and now have them on all my 3 bikes. Before I had a Antares VSX (wider/deeper gap compared to the open) but this also built ridges into my soft bottoms.

Only thing positive from this experience was the 30-day hassle free return policy from Pro/Shimano.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

themidge

by themidge

It's almost as if different bums suit different saddles... :noidea:

rospeedmich

by rospeedmich

djnzt48 wrote:Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

Quick question; where does my sitbone actually rests on the Arc? I'm having issues adjusting myself on this saddle. My previous saddle was a Fabric Scoop Flat and this is my first "curved" saddle.

I find sitting at #1 when at the drops is really comfortable but not so much on the hoods. Let me know your thoughts! Cheers guys
"I find sitting at #1 when at the drops is really comfortable but not so much on the hoods. Let me know your thoughts!"

This might be because when you ride in the drops you take some weight off your sit bone area. Now, this could mean that you could be riding a wider Arc or the original Power which is wider effectively.

I have the romin evo pro and while not as short as the Power, it is shorter than most saddles. I loved this from the very beginning as makes it far easier for me to switch from sitting to standing position. Also, I don't believe you should be moving too much on the saddle if it is properly set up. I have a similar problem as you when spending too much time on the hoods and could probably use a wider saddle, but I spend a lot of time in the drops and stopped thinking about it.

Whatever you do, give your saddle a serious amount of time before you get rid of it and set it up properly as this is of paramount importance. Good luck!!

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Personally i find short fit saddles a bit difficult if you tend to move.
I'm currently waiting for the long version of Ere Research Genus.
The standard model is 240-245mm long and the long version is 270mm.

My Selle Italia SP-01 Boost would probably benefit from a forward offset seatpost.
Others range from zero offset to 15mm offset.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

SELLE ITALIA SLR Boost Superflow Saddle 130mm (160gr)
Best I've tried, super comfy for long rides
Found on traditional saddles I moved around constantly trying to find that sweet spot
This has a smaller sweet spot, sorted
Very nice for long pulls in the drops, or more upright on long climbs
It did take a few attempts to find the correct for/aft position, as this is more critical than with a longer saddle
Also I prefer the shape at the back as it allows free movement off the rear for long decents
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

hlvd

by hlvd

I'm following this thread with interest as I'm thinking of buying one of these saddles.

I think this type of saddle might benefit me as I ride with a large drop, am I correct in thinking this?

If not, what demographic is the ideal candidate?

Ypuh

by Ypuh

hlvd wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:02 pm
I'm following this thread with interest as I'm thinking of buying one of these saddles.

I think this type of saddle might benefit me as I ride with a large drop, am I correct in thinking this?

Only advice I can give you is to try it out.

I'm not a too frequent in-the-drop rider, mainly the quick finales or attacks on our clubs rides. But I found the Pro Stealth saddle to be way too wide to be comfortable. My bum hurt for the first time I can remember (and I ride almost every day) and (ignorant as I am) the 2nd ride wasn't any better.

To be honest I'm not sure why I even tried, probably to experience what all the fuzz is about. The Fizik saddles usually suit me and with the Antares Open I found 'the one'. If I get a chance I might actually try the Specialized Power saddle some day, just for fun.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

hlvd

by hlvd

Ypuh wrote:
hlvd wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:02 pm

Only advice I can give you is to try it out.

I'm not a too frequent in-the-drop rider, mainly the quick finales or attacks on our clubs rides. But I found the Pro Stealth saddle to be way too wide to be comfortable. My bum hurt for the first time I can remember (and I ride almost every day) and (ignorant as I am) the 2nd ride wasn't any better.

To be honest I'm not sure why I even tried, probably to experience what all the fuzz is about. The Fizik saddles usually suit me and with the Antares Open I found 'the one'. If I get a chance I might actually try the Specialized Power saddle some day, just for fun.
That's what I don't really understand, why are these saddles much wider than conventional ones?

JayDee81

by JayDee81

RedbullFiXX wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:14 pm
SELLE ITALIA SLR Boost Superflow Saddle 130mm (160gr)
Best I've tried, super comfy for long rides
Found on traditional saddles I moved around constantly trying to find that sweet spot
This has a smaller sweet spot, sorted
Very nice for long pulls in the drops, or more upright on long climbs
It did take a few attempts to find the correct for/aft position, as this is more critical than with a longer saddle
Also I prefer the shape at the back as it allows free movement off the rear for long decents
Did you try standard (not Boost) Selle Italia SLR Superflow too?

Ypuh

by Ypuh

hlvd wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:45 pm
That's what I don't really understand, why are these saddles much wider than conventional ones?
No clue. These saddles are aimed at riding in the drops and therefor should't be too wide at the front I'd say. Both the Pro Stealth and also the SELLE ITALIA SLR from a few posts above seems to be pretty wide. The Specialized Power seems to be a bit more normal, but still wide if you compare it with an Arione or something.

Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com