Short nose saddles vs. classic saddles

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Patb095
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:32 pm

by Patb095

Smitty2k1 wrote:
PrimO wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 pm
I went from using Prologo Kappa PAS on all my bikes to Prologo Dimension (143) on all of them. I had been using the kappa for years but last year started to suffer from numbness on longer rides and so started researching a new saddle and came across the Dimension. Its 35mm shorter than the Kappa but the same width although has a slightly flatter profile and considerably thinner padding. I bought one used on ebay and tried it out and loved it and in the following months bought two more for my other road bikes. I can now cycle for hours with zero numbness issues. It also weighed in approx 80g less than the Kappa which is always a good thing.

I have an Aliexpress copy of the Pro stealth on my fixed tail 29er and get on very well with it also however my MTB rides are usually only an hour or two at most.
Can you share a link to the aliexpress one you bought? I always have the hardest time finding things on that site. Interested in trying out some new saddles without dropping serious money.
You know that bike shop usually let buy and refund the saddle 100% if you’re not satisfied. I found that’s the best way to try saddle.


Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Patb095
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:32 pm

by Patb095

bikeboy1tr wrote:I went from the Fizik Arionne to the SMP Comp and havent noticed much difference when it comes to descending. I am not sure if the SMP is in that class of shortnose saddles with the way the nose drops downward. I am still liking the SMP and many more of my bikes are getting converted over. Just got the Stratos for the winterbeater as it has the same shape as the Comp only a little more padding.

I’ve used a SMP and I can tell you that the nose part feel almost better than a short nose as it drop very aggressively but in a curved shape. What I didn’t like about it is the center depression. I was always being pull or sliding in it. Plus the hole in the centre is huge, which only leaves you small channel to sit on. I ended up with a power arc.


Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie


djnzt48
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:37 am
Contact:

by djnzt48

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

Quick question; where does my sitbone actually rests on the Arc? I'm having issues adjusting myself on this saddle. My previous saddle was a Fabric Scoop Flat and this is my first "curved" saddle.

Image

I find sitting at #1 when at the drops is really comfortable but not so much on the hoods. Let me know your thoughts! Cheers guys
Specialized Allez Sprint 2020

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 6023
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

The green line between 1 and 2 is where I usually sit on most saddles.

icantaffordcycling
Posts: 1014
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:03 am

by icantaffordcycling

djnzt48 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:28 am
Quick question; where does my sitbone actually rests on the Arc? I'm having issues adjusting myself on this saddle. My previous saddle was a Fabric Scoop Flat and this is my first "curved" saddle.
We can't tell by just seeing a photo. I was riding with two friends yesterday, both were on powers but sitting on completely different parts of the saddle.

PrimO
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:49 pm

by PrimO

Smitty2k1 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 pm
PrimO wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 pm
I went from using Prologo Kappa PAS on all my bikes to Prologo Dimension (143) on all of them. I had been using the kappa for years but last year started to suffer from numbness on longer rides and so started researching a new saddle and came across the Dimension. Its 35mm shorter than the Kappa but the same width although has a slightly flatter profile and considerably thinner padding. I bought one used on ebay and tried it out and loved it and in the following months bought two more for my other road bikes. I can now cycle for hours with zero numbness issues. It also weighed in approx 80g less than the Kappa which is always a good thing.

I have an Aliexpress copy of the Pro stealth on my fixed tail 29er and get on very well with it also however my MTB rides are usually only an hour or two at most.
Can you share a link to the aliexpress one you bought? I always have the hardest time finding things on that site. Interested in trying out some new saddles without dropping serious money.
I bought this one >>> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32906476834.html

I also have a copy of the Dimension on my turbo trainer bike >>> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33033287050.html

Patb095
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:32 pm

by Patb095

djnzt48 wrote:Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

Quick question; where does my sitbone actually rests on the Arc? I'm having issues adjusting myself on this saddle. My previous saddle was a Fabric Scoop Flat and this is my first "curved" saddle.

Image

I find sitting at #1 when at the drops is really comfortable but not so much on the hoods. Let me know your thoughts! Cheers guys

If you had a « flat » type you’d be probably better with the « power » only , not the « power arc ». What I learn is through this whole process is that ther is 2 general kind of saddle. The one that use your site bone only « flat » or the one with a pear shape that use your site bone and more of the other area to support your body. The second help heavier rider as the surface of support is extended.

.... but there is all kind of shape as everybody is different. But if I’d have to make some category I would use these 2.

Tilting the saddle forward for more aggressive position is important too.




Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

roadchallenge
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:13 am

by roadchallenge

Short saddles are great, I think every body type will find them comfortable. But curve and short length came from need to support cyclist with high pelvic rotation hence all of them have cut out. For example my reach is +2cm on prologo dimension vs traditional scratch, because i can actually relax and rotate pelvis forward while keeping saddle horizontal and curve prevents me from sliding as opposed to flat one. There are too many photos of bikes out there with flat saddles tilted forward and just awfull setups, short saddles bound to solve this issue for causal riders.

Wingnut
Posts: 2198
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:41 am

by Wingnut

I don't necessarily agree that every body type will find them comfortable. The short saddles seem to promote or suit a position with a low drop at the handlebars/saddle forward more like a criterium style position. I can't recall many climbers that use them? It would be interesting to see any who do?

User avatar
kgt
Posts: 8631
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Athens, Greece

by kgt

And they look ugly so that's another minus.

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

Weird thread, loads of people saying that they used an old saddle and went to a new one, yet somehow can't even spell the name of their old saddle correctly. Also people with the insane idea that their saddle or favorite type of saddle suits everyone, complete bs if ever I heard it.

If you were on an Arione but now much prefer a Pro Stealth or Selle SMP you should never have been on an Arione to begin with. Personally I hate stub-nosed saddles and saddles with silly cut-out channels, but I'm not going to tell people not to use them.

Try many saddles, find your favorite style, then find your favorite saddle. Ignore fads and fashion and people with post-purchase rationalization insecurity trying to convince you to get what they have or like.

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 6023
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

Soft-tissue relief is a fad now? Tell that to just about any woman who rides bikes (hint: their soft tissues are positioned differently) or any dude who rides with advanced pelvic rotation.

Patb095
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:32 pm

by Patb095

Lewn777 wrote:Weird thread, loads of people saying that they used an old saddle and went to a new one, yet somehow can't even spell the name of their old saddle correctly. Also people with the insane idea that their saddle or favorite type of saddle suits everyone, complete bs if ever I heard it.

If you were on an Arione but now much prefer a Pro Stealth or Selle SMP you should never have been on an Arione to begin with. Personally I hate stub-nosed saddles and saddles with silly cut-out channels, but I'm not going to tell people not to use them.

Try many saddles, find your favorite style, then find your favorite saddle. Ignore fads and fashion and people with post-purchase rationalization insecurity trying to convince you to get what they have or like.
I think people are just very happy about finding a saddle that finally fit them after a long an painful process :) . They maybe just a little over enthusiastic about it.

I didn’t see people said “ not to use” some saddle though.


Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

If it works for you and it's in fashion fine, if it's totally out of fashion but works for you, again fine. One of my friends rides a Pro Stealth and loves it, I detest the PRO stealth and love my Arione, he hates the Arione with every fiber of his being.

Senario A: People are all different what might suit one person might completely not suit someone else. Therefore that also means recommending your favorite saddle to other people is pointless, unless they already like a similar saddle.

Senario B: One of us is a liar and we are using a saddle we actually find hideously uncomfortable ourselves out of spite to confuse other people.

by Weenie


User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:01 am
Soft-tissue relief is a fad now? Tell that to just about any woman who rides bikes (hint: their soft tissues are positioned differently) or any dude who rides with advanced pelvic rotation.
fad
NOUN
an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something (doesn't need a negative connotation)

Well yes. Fizik have released versions of their saddles with various relief channels. So it's a common thing to do. Will the relief channel versions outlive the regular versions or will the older versions remain more popular? Time will tell.

Post Reply