Just about done with the Spyre SLC. Juin Tech?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

What bars are you running on that build JoeJack?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

joejack951

by joejack951

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:45 pm
What bars are you running on that build JoeJack?
Ritchey WCS Carbon Streem II. I wanted their integrated bars but they didn’t offer them in 40cm width and a 110mm stem. So I got the bars and stem separate.

I can’t figure out how to post an image from the mobile Flickr site so here’s a link to another view of the bars: https://www.flickr.com/photos/101024948 ... 779312406/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Thank you. They would have be perfect in a 38cm variant.

Using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

had those bars and their stem on my old Parlee semi-ww build. I really liked them alot.. despite not being all that ww.. I still manage sub 13 on that build.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Catagory6

by Catagory6

ok, back to the original topic, shall we?

based on everything i can find, i think i'm going for the Juin Tech GT 4 piston.
does anybody here have experience with these?

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

Catagory6 wrote:ok, back to the original topic, shall we?

based on everything i can find, i think i'm going for the Juin Tech GT 4 piston.
does anybody here have experience with these?
Would also like to know peoples experience with these have the spyres aswell but get a sticky caliper too often in fairness this particular bike gets a lot of wet weather abuse but its just annoying have to mess around with it all the time

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

I'm running Juin F1 with Sram levers on a drop bar MTB / monster gravel bike and they are great.

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

Anyone know what pads the GT f models take think I'm gunna take the plunge but just speant 40 quid on new pads for my spyres so if they are different I will wait till the swissstop pads are worn out

MickC

by MickC

I've just built a winter bike using 10 speed Campag Record levers with Juin GT-F calipers, Jagwire compressionless cables and Campag AFS 160mm rotors.

The 4-pots have a larger pad area so that's why I went for them as opposed to the F1's. The GT-F matches up perfectly with the amount of cable pulled by the levers and feels nice and solid. The supplied pads needed bedding in properly as they were hopeless out of the box but now pull up really well.

The only downside is that in the rain they squeal like crazy but it seems this is common for disc pads in the wet and most people just accept it. Previously they'd been out on wet roads but not in the rain and were quiet. We don't have long descents where the brakes can be held on and warmed up to dispel the water.

I'll clean the calipers and pads first in case the silicone grease I'd smeared over the moving parts (pistons especially) has been washed onto the pads by the rain. (The grease I put on was a pre-emptive measure to prevent sticking pistons which I'd read was a common problem with Juin calipers).
If cleaning doesn't help I'll try a few different makes of pads and then maybe try Shimano IceTech rotors.

The pads are the same as the Shimano Saint Zee-M640, M810, M820 so are readily available.

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

MickC wrote:I've just built a winter bike using 10 speed Campag Record levers with Juin GT-F calipers, Jagwire compressionless cables and Campag AFS 160mm rotors.

The 4-pots have a larger pad area so that's why I went for them as opposed to the F1's. The GT-F matches up perfectly with the amount of cable pulled by the levers and feels nice and solid. The supplied pads needed bedding in properly as they were hopeless out of the box but now pull up really well.

The only downside is that in the rain they squeal like crazy but it seems this is common for disc pads in the wet and most people just accept it. Previously they'd been out on wet roads but not in the rain and were quiet. We don't have long descents where the brakes can be held on and warmed up to dispel the water.

I'll clean the calipers and pads first in case the silicone grease I'd smeared over the moving parts (pistons especially) has been washed onto the pads by the rain. (The grease I put on was a pre-emptive measure to prevent sticking pistons which I'd read was a common problem with Juin calipers).
If cleaning doesn't help I'll try a few different makes of pads and then maybe try Shimano IceTech rotors.

The pads are the same as the Shimano Saint Zee-M640, M810, M820 so are readily available.
I've just fitted mine mate agreed with the pads are trash untill bedded in then they are nice but that's fairly normal.

With the squalling I recommend trying the swissstop green organic pads they are the most silent ones I've used and real good stopping power but they aren't cheap and wear quite quick

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I've used the GT brakes on 3 bikes. Awesome calipers.
Be sure, however, that this caliper will fit on the rear position of your frame.
On some frames the seatstay interferes with the piston lever. With the post-mount model the lever is located very near the back mounting bolt, which can be right next to the seatstay.

+1 on the SwissStop pad recommendation.

jemima

by jemima

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:09 pm
Thank you. They would have be perfect in a 38cm variant.

ControlTech Cougar Carbon Aero 38mm has same drop and reach as 40mm Ritchey.

Sorry about the sidetrack; back to the show.
Curve Grovel ti.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Also, cheaper than a Juin Tech is the chinese Xtech HB100 caliper.

Same principle, but the oil piston is more on top and angled, thus changing the location of the cable actuating lever.

I have yet to try these, but given the price point, why not?

Quentin68850

by Quentin68850

j'ai les juin tech gt-f et ils osnt vrziment bien j'ai mis les plaquette swistopp exotherme 2 compatible zee et c'est top faut juste super bien roder les plaquette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Quentin68850

by Quentin68850

j'ai les juin tech gt-f et ils osnt vrziment bien j'ai mis les plaquette swistopp exotherme 2 compatible zee et c'est top faut juste super bien roder les plaquette.