Colnago C64 - Inside and Out

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

MontpierBike

by MontpierBike

Thanks much Seedster. Yeah, the Red art decor was announced right after I ordered my PJRD and while the carbon matte finish looks cool, think a painted frame will stand up a bit better and hide inevitable travel abuse.

BTW - there's a bunch of even more new C64 color options that have just turned up on the Colnago UK Facebook site.

I'm also really liking the SR 12 EPS and the Campy disc braking is wonderful (even with the mid profile rims and kgt's pesky physics!). But if something went wrong with either of those, while I'm not a complete Luddite Boomer and play quite a bit with high end digital audio components (though still prefer vinyl), frankly I wouldn't know where to start. [Still not able to sync My Campy app with Garmin Connect app sessions despite the two supposedly being linked.]

Okay, crossing TRP off the consideration set list. Rationale to wife for getting second bike was that I'd be mostly just buying the frame and a few cockpit components. But first additional disc wheelset, then new brake calipers ... getting new shifters as well?

Please don't tell my wife,

by Weenie

Yoln

by Yoln

Thanks!

On your mechanical disc brakes point, I would not be as categorical as Seedster. A lot of progress has been made in the recent years, BB7 or TRP-Spyre have very good ratings, and I enjoyed riding a Tarmac with those (TRP spyre) last year, I'd say slightly better braking power than rims when dry, but way better when wet. It's like hydraulic brakes where you have to pull 3x harder on the lever basically. I am not sure about their compatibility with Campy levers though. I remember asking them about campy compatibility for their hybrid HY-road model (mechanical cable pulls a hydraulic system integrated within the caliper itself, which gives you an in between mechanical disc and pure hydraulic, you have to pull just 1.5 times harder than hydraulic haha), but their answer was: "We do not recommend that the HY/RD be used with any Campy levers because the pull ratio they use is too short for the HY/RD to function properly. When used with Campy levers the lever will pull all the way to the bar by the time the caliper engages the rotor.". Not sure if that applies to their pure mechanical ones though.

Regarding my issue, I started a new thread under "road" called Colnago c64 cable integration if you want to take a look. I am tempted to try to put some DIY into having the cable integration with mech shifting work, but also a bit worried, just trying to gather as much info as possible at the moment. I'll dig the forum to find the older messages you mentioned where it was discussed
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160943

Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161550

MontpierBike

by MontpierBike

Thanks Yoln for the extra TRP insights!

I know the Paul Components Klampster mech disc is available with a Campy throw, but they're pretty pricey and may be worth spending a bit extra to upgrade shifters and go Campy hydraulic. Will discuss pros/cons w/ my LBS mechanic.

Good luck with your integration effort. I think there's someone who posted pics in this or another C64 thread trying to do the same and there was a lot of cable to squeeze into a very tight space.... and if you did get it to initially work the subsequent servicing might become a nightmare.

Henryexige

by Henryexige

Henryexige wrote:All the C64 owners here, anyone have this issue where the caliper is not open wide enough? Using Easton EC90 SL rim and the width is 27.5mm. The Dura Ace caliper seems cant open wide enough. I have to resort to using worn carbon pads in order to accommodate the wheel width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Update on the C64. Put in a TRP produced Bontrager direct mount caliper and it work like a charm.

Took a decision to decorate it with EE el Platino caliper and works too. Somehow still cannot understand why shimano BR-9110 RS doesn’t work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joejack951

by joejack951

Yoln wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:12 pm
I am not sure about their compatibility with Campy levers though. I remember asking them about campy compatibility for their hybrid HY-road model (mechanical cable pulls a hydraulic system integrated within the caliper itself, which gives you an in between mechanical disc and pure hydraulic, you have to pull just 1.5 times harder than hydraulic haha), but their answer was: "We do not recommend that the HY/RD be used with any Campy levers because the pull ratio they use is too short for the HY/RD to function properly. When used with Campy levers the lever will pull all the way to the bar by the time the caliper engages the rotor.". Not sure if that applies to their pure mechanical ones though.
Who did you speak with? Dave Beihler (domestic sales manager) is well aware that there are short pull conversion arms available for the TRP HY/RD to allow their use with non-Shimano SLR-EV levers. I designed and manufactured them so that I could run 2016 Chorus 11 levers and HY/RD calipers. Search on Amazon: short pull conversion brake arm set TRP HY/RD.

GlasNago

by GlasNago

with regards the removal of the bb cups i found the plastic colnago removal tool is not fit for purpose. i broke two trying to remove the nds cup.
abbey bike tools fab an alloy metal tool, double the price of the plastic jobby, but had the cup out with no issues.
Bottom Bracket Socket- OSBB "CLG"
Attachments
20191206_140901.jpg

Ringo

by Ringo

Now that C64 is out for almost a year, I’m thinking to buy one but I have to ask few questions the owners:
Did you notice any problems with the color? Especially the owners of art deco frames..
And what about the frame? Any cracks or other defects?
Thanks!

guyc

by guyc

None at all. I've put about 6000 miles on mine now and it's been flawless. I still can't think of a bike I'd rather have. The only issue was a faulty Di2 battery which would occasionally not spring into life which was unrelated to the frame obviously.

Ringo

by Ringo

I saw somewhere that (in the direct mount versions) there is a danger calipers to touch/scratch the frame when they are open (eg wheel extraction)

guyc

by guyc

Haven't seen that at all and I've swapped the wheels out a lot.

Ringo

by Ringo

I found on Colnago Uk Facebook this
Attachments
16923AEC-E4A4-4466-9455-874E920A0A10.jpeg
2760487D-B7D5-458E-BA34-B073FE295A45.jpeg

guyc

by guyc

Assume that's Campag? I'm running Dura-Ace. No contact.

guyc

by guyc

Also that's cable disconnected, not just with the caliper QR open.

derosa2000

by derosa2000

Ringo wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:37 pm
I saw somewhere that (in the direct mount versions) there is a danger calipers to touch/scratch the frame when they are open (eg wheel extraction)
hmm , must check my c64 art deco tomorrow ...

by Weenie

caballero

by caballero

C64 Osaka
Attachments
5F971B02-8ECF-454F-A505-0B7B10F10B86.jpeg