shoes for low volume feet?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

simoncx

by simoncx

Anyone else have low volume feet and have a difficult time find shoes? The problem is I have low volume feet, high arches, pretty narrow heels and medium forefoot (100mm wide and 283 foot length). So far the best fitting shoe has been the older shimano xc90 which I've been using on my mtb and switched my road pedals to mtb on road bike.
So far tried:
sidi wire and drako not sure if drako 2 is any betterhavent tried those( too much volume and pretty much maxed out the dials)
Lake cx237( too wide almost everywhere and too much volume, really bad heel slip)
lake mx332 (perfect in width but alittle too much volume in the upper most part cause a very painful pinching effect)
shimano s pyhres road or mtb(have to run alot thicker insoles too get them to be ok, not great but acceptable, but then puts alot much pressure on my heel)
Giro empires (probably closet to the older xc90 but once they stretch I only have maybe .5-1 cm space inbetween laces causing a pinching effect again)

Really starting to run out of options, womens shoes are suppose to have less volume but most stop at size 42-43 so too small. I'm considering sworks 6 since I hear they are very narrow in the heel but I am getting tired of spending 300-400 on shoes and selling them on ebay after a couple rides. Anyone have any recommendations?

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Gaerne G Stilo.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

I alway had similar issues and the Fizik R1 has been the best option found (lake with special inner sole was on, Mavic too wide, shimano tightening them properly was making wrinkles , dmt I can’t remember what was wrong, sidi were having wrinkles too...)
The special cut off on the front part allow to adjust the volume of the toe-box section when you tighten the lower boa.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

DJT21

by DJT21

Try and find (on ebay perhaps) some Sidi Ergo 2 or 3; they're lower volume than the Wire/Drako (I own all four so speak from experience).

Nikoras

by Nikoras

simoncx wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:55 pm
Anyone else have low volume feet and have a difficult time find shoes? The problem is I have low volume feet, high arches, pretty narrow heels and medium forefoot (100mm wide and 283 foot length). So far the best fitting shoe has been the older shimano xc90 which I've been using on my mtb and switched my road pedals to mtb on road bike.
So far tried:
sidi wire and drako not sure if drako 2 is any betterhavent tried those( too much volume and pretty much maxed out the dials)
Lake cx237( too wide almost everywhere and too much volume, really bad heel slip)
lake mx332 (perfect in width but alittle too much volume in the upper most part cause a very painful pinching effect)
shimano s pyhres road or mtb(have to run alot thicker insoles too get them to be ok, not great but acceptable, but then puts alot much pressure on my heel)
Giro empires (probably closet to the older xc90 but once they stretch I only have maybe .5-1 cm space inbetween laces causing a pinching effect again)

Really starting to run out of options, womens shoes are suppose to have less volume but most stop at size 42-43 so too small. I'm considering sworks 6 since I hear they are very narrow in the heel but I am getting tired of spending 300-400 on shoes and selling them on ebay after a couple rides. Anyone have any recommendations?
If you aren't already doing it throw an aftermarket insole in there. It will give you some arch support and reduce volume.

simoncx

by simoncx

C36 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:24 pm
I alway had similar issues and the Fizik R1 has been the best option found (lake with special inner sole was on, Mavic too wide, shimano tightening them properly was making wrinkles , dmt I can’t remember what was wrong, sidi were having wrinkles too...)
The special cut off on the front part allow to adjust the volume of the toe-box section when you tighten the lower boa.

Ive looked at the r1 and x1's but never really found anything that mentioned anything about volume, just that they were big in size(length) and to order 1/2 to 1 size smaller then shimano? I too have the same problem with wrinkles, the s phyres and wires look like I had a shoe that was way too big on me when in fact length wise even a half size smaller they would be too short. The only temp solution I've found with s phyres was use giro insole with the white arch support and under the insole I cut a sole shaped flexable plastic layer that was 2mm thick, it just passes for acceptable but creates other fit problems.

simoncx

by simoncx

DJT21 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:04 pm
Try and find (on ebay perhaps) some Sidi Ergo 2 or 3; they're lower volume than the Wire/Drako (I own all four so speak from experience).
I had sidi's like the ergo 2 years ago that were a good fit but not sure which model they were, they had a dial under the sole that was suppuse to make the shoe stiffer.

simoncx

by simoncx

Nikoras wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:22 pm
simoncx wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:55 pm
So far tried:

If you aren't already doing it throw an aftermarket insole in there. It will give you some arch support and reduce volume.
Yes giro insoles seem to be better and take up some of the volume but any thicker and it causes problems with my heel being too high in certain shoes, helps a little but not really enough to solve the problem. Usually its the mid and front of the shoe above the toes that causes the problems. For an example with the sphyres with giro supernatural insoles the top of my foot will be good, midfoot will be so-so but the space around the toes I can press the shoe in a good 5mm pretty much making the front of the shoe have no support at all.

simoncx

by simoncx

To give an example in the pic the lower boa could still be thigtened but in the spot where my finger is I can press down a good 5mm and the lowest wire loop is pretty much floating above my foot not even close to touching.
425DFC53-5B23-48AA-A4CD-2FCD42CE9C1D.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

On the R1 those wrinkles are way more difficult to appear since the toe-box closes having two layers sliding on top of each other (the red layer slides under the black one) rather than trying to squeeze the toe box like on your picture.

I could probably have all the red part disappearing under the black layer with no / limited wrinkles. (With pictures would be better... but I am away from home...)

In all cases, I think for your case they are worth a try at a lbs.