<1000g frame?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

I bought a whole like new S-Works Crux three years ago for under $3K. At the time, it was an 8-9K build with new Force 1. It was the last year with quick releases so I guess that is why it was cheap. But I don't care. I'm going to ride this one until it breaks. It fits 40mm tires with room to spare.

With an extra set of wheels a Crux makes a nice road bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

d36

by d36

Ican AC388?

Crux geo but less annoying bb and better road 1x clearance
Just above 1000g however

Velosprints

by Velosprints

Hey folks! Just an update since I posted a while back. I've been saving and saving, and now I am close to pulling the trigger on an S-Works Crux frameset! I can't wait! I have searched high and low for frames <1000g and with the exception of Scott, (who doesn't sell frames only) I can't find a lighter frame. I've long considered a gravel frame as well, but the consensus that I've gleaned is that gravel frames are heavier in general. Besides, I think I will like the responsiveness of a CX rig when used as a road machine. If I can find a lighter weight frame that is widely available for less than the Crux, maybe I'll have some money leftover for a Di2 upgrade.

Any last minute thoughts before I proceed?

Cheers,
Chris

lisu

by lisu

Fuji Altamira CX weights 950g for L (56cm), race geometry etc. got one - 2019 1.1 on force 1x, however crux is also great bike. I suppose Fuji is a bit cheaper.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Stevens Super prestige frame is sub 1000kg and is priced nicely as well (€1629). Stevens might be lesser known but their Super Prestige is basically one of if not the best cx bike in the world.

Paintjobs are stunning as well

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Velosprints wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:52 pm
Hey folks! Just an update since I posted a while back. I've been saving and saving, and now I am close to pulling the trigger on an S-Works Crux frameset! I can't wait! I have searched high and low for frames <1000g and with the exception of Scott, (who doesn't sell frames only) I can't find a lighter frame. I've long considered a gravel frame as well, but the consensus that I've gleaned is that gravel frames are heavier in general. Besides, I think I will like the responsiveness of a CX rig when used as a road machine. If I can find a lighter weight frame that is widely available for less than the Crux, maybe I'll have some money leftover for a Di2 upgrade.

Any last minute thoughts before I proceed?

Cheers,
Chris
Newest gen Crux framesets are indeed weightweenie. Had a painted one at ~980g and the S-Works with clear at ~920g in 54cm.

But they have pretty tight clearances. 700x40 ramblers had roughly 3-4mm clear so you're probably limited to 700x35 if you want knobs or do mud. And the chainstays are not designed for 650b, 650x42 had 4mm clearance at most.

OPEN U.P. 1st gen weighted in at ~1040g in med painted, but got down to ~910g when stripped. I have the newest UPPER and it's ~925g painted black.

Also had the Focus Mares 54 which came out to roughly 950g and a previous-gen Stigmata which was about 980g painted. Both ride really well and have more 700c clearance than the CRUX.

Velosprints

by Velosprints

]

This is great info! Thank you! You mentioned Crux clearances, but I only plan to ride gravel and just a touch or road. So clearances aren't much of an issue.

biwa

by biwa

Is a very lightweight carbon frame for gravel a good idea? Too much lightweight seems to go against all those bumps and knocks by the nature of gravel riding

Velosprints

by Velosprints

Ok, so I was close to buying that Crux frame, when I came across the Giant TCX Advanced Pro. It's $1,000 cheaper, so I'd have leftover money to go towards the Di2 build.

Does anyone know the weights on that frame? I've looked on the inter webs and I've even emailed Giant directly, but I can't seem to get a reply.

Velosprints

by Velosprints

Any thoughts on the Specialized Crux Elite Evo Disc Frameset? I heard that they are the same as the S-works without the "s-works" label. Any truth to to that?