Aero Helmet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rostarun

by rostarun

Just got my Met Trenta 3k (medium) sad to report it weighed in at 278g. Not sure what the deal is.... :-(

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

rostarun wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:41 am
Just got my Met Trenta 3k (medium) sad to report it weighed in at 278g. Not sure what the deal is.... :-(
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:43 am
Keep in mind that CEN helmets are often lighter than CPSC helmets are lighter than AZ/NZS helmets. My CPSC MET Trenta 3K is nearly 300g when the CEN version is around 220g.

Which market/region are you in?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rostarun

by rostarun

Colorado

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

rostarun wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:34 am
Colorado

Yep, US market helmets need to withstand heavier impacts than EU helmets. That’s one reason why it took until now for the Trenta 3K to become available here. My Aether and Vanquish are both lighter than my Trenta 3K IIRC.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The helmet i would say (honestly) make me feel (am i affect by the abracadabra virus?) a difference was when i bought Casco SpeedAiro.
I just feel i can't handle the absolut "turning heads factor" this helmet come with.
If you can, it's well worth considering.
I guess it's the flush flow the shield to helmet have. You just feel this (or you may laugh and say, abracadabra virus!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

rostarun

by rostarun

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:43 am
rostarun wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:34 am
Colorado

Yep, US market helmets need to withstand heavier impacts than EU helmets. That’s one reason why it took until now for the Trenta 3K to become available here. My Aether and Vanquish are both lighter than my Trenta 3K IIRC.
I rode it this morning and I love it. Anybody have tips on how to pick up the EU version in the states?

Shpox

by Shpox

Thought I might chime as I've been trying to find a replacement for my Ballista the last week or so. It accidentally got lodged underneath my car one night in the garage and I didn't realise untill I started reversing out. It was totalled thereafter. I live in Aus so the Summer months are routinely 30c and over.

Requirements:
- Matte Black (or white)
- Aero
- Comfortable & Good Fit
- Lightweight
- Survivable in Summer
- ~$200 AUD

Anyway.

Few points. After a tonne of research, the Ballista is still really great value for price to weight ratio. My only complaint was about the strap getting loose and being difficult to fold in. For those that own it, look after it! I found it reasonably bearable in Summer months too.

Trek Australia do not sell this helmet anymore and stock is non-existant. I could not for the life of me find a Medium black anyway and it's being replaced my Wavecell. Here are my thoughts fyi:

1. Wavcell not as good a fit in the same size. The curve of the helmet did not suit me as much as the Ballista. On review, you do see the fluro of the wavecell underneath which is kinda ugly and the helmet weighs a lot more and costs $100 more. Overall, heavier, equal in safety, more expensive, more unsightly, not as good fit. The Velocis was a much nicer fit but I'm after more aero. It's still great you get a crash replacement with Trek in the 1 year period.

2. Have a met helmet so tried the Manta. Met helmets have fit me pretty well. Fit wasn't as nice as the Strale. The Strale is cheap, looks aero and fit me so well, might buy it anyway. Had the same fit issues as the Wavecell, otherwise, looked okay. Big downfall here is MET has very with MIPS helmets and the Manta isn't one. It's pretty affordable.

3. POC Ventral & Air. Currently what I'm looking at. Comfort is okay, weight is okay, looks okayish. The helmet seems to move around more on my head than the MIPS so not 100% decided.

4. Lazer Bullet. Fine until you put it on. Is basically a brick.

I didn't bother with Oakley as I heard its not as good as the Ballista.
A lot of other helment choices just aren't available near me. Going to try the Evade with MIPS as the final option because going with POC I guess...

rlanger

by rlanger

Shpox wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:48 pm
Thought I might chime as I've been trying to find a replacement for my Ballista the last week or so. It accidentally got lodged underneath my car one night in the garage and I didn't realise untill I started reversing out. It was totalled thereafter. I live in Aus so the Summer months are routinely 30c and over.

Requirements:
- Matte Black (or white)
- Aero
- Comfortable & Good Fit
- Lightweight
- Survivable in Summer
- ~$200 AUD

Anyway.

Few points. After a tonne of research, the Ballista is still really great value for price to weight ratio. My only complaint was about the strap getting loose and being difficult to fold in. For those that own it, look after it! I found it reasonably bearable in Summer months too.
I would go with this one personally:

https://www.bikebug.com/met-manta-helmet-p-56908.html

Shpox

by Shpox

Thanks man. Thought I'd be onto a winner with that one too but unfortunetly it didn't fit me very well, which is odd, every other met helmet does.

Pierre86

by Pierre86

Shpox wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:48 pm

Requirements:
- Matte Black (or white)
- Aero
- Comfortable & Good Fit
- Lightweight
- Survivable in Summer
- ~$200 AUD

Anyway.

Trek Australia do not sell this helmet anymore and stock is non-existant. I could not for the life of me find a Medium black anyway and it's being replaced my Wavecell. Here are my thoughts fyi:

1. Wavcell not as good a fit in the same size. The curve of the helmet did not suit me as much as the Ballista. On review, you do see the fluro of the wavecell underneath which is kinda ugly and the helmet weighs a lot more and costs $100 more. Overall, heavier, equal in safety, more expensive, more unsightly, not as good fit. The Velocis was a much nicer fit but I'm after more aero. It's still great you get a crash replacement with Trek in the 1 year period.

2. Have a met helmet so tried the Manta. Met helmets have fit me pretty well. Fit wasn't as nice as the Strale. The Strale is cheap, looks aero and fit me so well, might buy it anyway. Had the same fit issues as the Wavecell, otherwise, looked okay. Big downfall here is MET has very with MIPS helmets and the Manta isn't one. It's pretty affordable.

3. POC Ventral & Air. Currently what I'm looking at. Comfort is okay, weight is okay, looks okayish. The helmet seems to move around more on my head than the MIPS so not 100% decided.

4. Lazer Bullet. Fine until you put it on. Is basically a brick.

I didn't bother with Oakley as I heard its not as good as the Ballista.
A lot of other helment choices just aren't available near me. Going to try the Evade with MIPS as the final option because going with POC I guess...
Left field, Scott Cadence+

Ticks all the boxes (maybe not price/depends)
Have a black one in Adelaide and haven't found it too hot during summer. I don't consider it super light but I've never noticed it being heavy, and the plugs are decent for winter
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

rlanger

by rlanger

Shpox wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:51 am
Thanks man. Thought I'd be onto a winner with that one too but unfortunetly it didn't fit me very well, which is odd, every other met helmet does.
That's too bad. It's a beautiful helmet and pretty reasonably priced for an aero model.

Shpox

by Shpox

rlanger wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:10 am
That's too bad. It's a beautiful helmet and pretty reasonably priced for an aero model.
It's true. I just picked up a Strale form 99 bikes on sale to replace my beater helmet. It weighs pretty close to the Ballista and it actually looks a lot like it too. Will hold onto it for the time being before seeing if I can source a POC Ventral or a Kask Utopia to try on.

This guys article is still one the best comparions I've read: https://intheknowcycling.com/aero-helmet/

Also love this https://hexr.com/ but it's UK only.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Ive had a Ballista for 2yrs ish now. 1st one I crashed and Trek has a no questions asked replacement after your first crash. I upgraded that to a MIPS Ballista model and hoping to stay upright and keep it shiny.

For hotter days I have a Bell Z20 MIPS. I feel a bit weird wearing it sometimes as it feels that the helmet is floating (not a tighter ish fit like the Ballista). Not a negative in my book, I think this is the MIPS in action imo.

I do find I needed to size up on MIPS helmets. My first non MIPS Ballista was a Small but no way I would fit in MIPS Small.

Goodluck. Helmets aren't cheap, especially the fancy schmanzy ones.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

My hands down favorite aero helmet is the Kask Utopia. Great fit, quality, looks, air flow, and very low weight. And with the recent super sales at Merlins I got two at $170 a piece. For the money the Ballista is awesome.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Stueys

by Stueys

Love Kask helmets but they really need to add some MIPS style tech to their helmets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com