Wheels for general riding

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

okimy

by okimy

First up, I'm not actually in the market for new wheels currently. I just like to look at the technical side of things.
That said, if I was shopping for wheels (disc brake) I'd choose between the following: DT Swiss ARC 1400 62 (or 48), DT Swiss ERC 1400 47, Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST and Roval CL50. I could get all of these wheels in local shops (technically I could also get ZIPP but they're out of my price range). They'd be used for all of the riding I do and I'm not really concerned about riding in winter as I use the turbo as soon as the temperature drops below 13°C. In my area I can choose between flat routes, hilly routes and mixed routes. I'm also planning on racing and have completed my first sportive this September.
Which wheelset would you guys pick? And does anyone know the Mavic's outer rim width?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jrsiebe

by jrsiebe

I have a set of CL50's I picked up off ebay at a nice discount, and they have been great. Tires mount easy, times on local segments improved etc. They occasionally give you a nice feeling of being 'pulled along" when the wind is just right. I wouldn't call them a climbing wheel, but they are great all rounders. Cross-winds are almost never an issue unless they wind is really rockin' that day.

kdawg

by kdawg

13°? I'd be inside all year...
I'm left handed, if that matters.

okimy

by okimy

kdawg wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:18 pm
13°? I'd be inside all year...
Well, it's only colder than that between late October and early April. I guess I'm a summer guy when it comes to cycling, although I do like snowboarding.

ianeire

by ianeire

13 C ... as in C for Celsius? Winter?

FFS that's still summer.

LewisK

by LewisK

For general riding, I’d go for a lower profile wheel and try to keep the weight as low as possible.

jasonh

by jasonh

I prefer lower weight and stiff wheels than aero wheels because of the more noticeable benefits when accelerating, climbing and cornering hard. It’s the main reason I fell in love with the first set of Eurus wheels I bought years ago.
I would also go with whichever of the shallow rims offer the most internal width.
Unless, of course you live or ride in an area like Chicago, with practically zero climbing. Then I’d go for the widest and stiffest.
If value is important, I believe Mavic wheels come with tires.

otoman

by otoman

I'd pick the most expensive for you, since you're asking a hypothetical question. I like the advice of shallower for "general riding" as well. So maybe those DT Swiss 47's. Or Lightweights ;-)
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

cyclotripper

by cyclotripper

I went for a set of Racing Zero Carbon DB, my LBS gave me a good deal. I know they aren't on your list...

https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels ... -carbon-db

I have been waiting ages to get campies alu spokes with a carbon rims, and i'm glad I skipped the first generation of these wheels. As these are wider rim, lighter, and have carbon reinforcing on the spoke holes which looks cool.

No spoke holes in the rim bed is a big plus - whether you run tubes or not.

okimy

by okimy

otoman wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:09 am
I'd pick the most expensive for you, since you're asking a hypothetical question. I like the advice of shallower for "general riding" as well. So maybe those DT Swiss 47's. Or Lightweights ;-)
Most expensive isn't always the best.
But I guess the gist here is shallower depth and lighter weight. I'd still go for something between 45mm and 50mm, just because I prefer the looks. The Fulcrums look nice though. Although I think the Speed 40 DB are more what I'd consider.
Edit: Value is important but the Mavic tires seem not so durable so I'd be using other tires anyway. And I'm not sure about running 25mm tires at 6 bar tubeless.

guyc

by guyc

13c - that's a spring day!

okimy

by okimy

guyc wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:57 pm
On the flip side I do get 40°C days in July/August. I was actually thinking about getting a triathlon style saddle bottle cage mount so I can carry more water.

LewisK

by LewisK

guyc wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:57 pm
And a bloody good one at that 8)

TheRich

by TheRich

Seems a little counterintuitive in this day and age to not regularly use your high performance setup. It's not as if carbon wheels haven't proven to be durable, so you're just spending more money and not getting accustomed to the equipment you'll use when it's supposed to really matter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcorn

by dcorn

I'd go with CL50s, or some Light Bicycle 46ish-mm rims with DT hubs if you want to save some money.
TheRich wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:16 pm
Seems a little counterintuitive in this day and age to not regularly use your high performance setup. It's not as if carbon wheels haven't proven to be durable, so you're just spending more money and not getting accustomed to the equipment you'll use when it's supposed to really matter.
Especially because he's riding disc!