Wheels for climbing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robertbb

by robertbb

Pierre86 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:25 am
robertbb wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:18 am

With that said though, let's just disspel the idea of "climbing" wheels.
Came here to say just this, you'll likely go faster on aero wheels even if they're 100g heavier
But they'll handle like shit when you get a gust of wind up in the alps....

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I've got the DT Swiss Oxic and they are around 1400g. Light enough for climbing and very safe on the descents. The only thing I would say is that I'm not as happy with the rear wheel hub than the one on my RR21 Dicuts which has a much nicer sound. I am exactly the same height and weight variability as you.

I did have have the Campagnolo Shamal Mille on my shortlist, tad heavier but IMHO more sexy looking, bombproof repuatation. That or maybe have something built around DT Swiss hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StevenH72

by StevenH72

robertbb wrote:

Of far more importance are stiffness, braking, bearing quality (poor bearings really will slow you down), the number/thickness/pattern of spokes (can have effects on handling, especially in sidewinds) and the interface to the type and size of tyre you want to run.

I agree with this, but am intrigued. Given the stiffness values of the Hunts and that they come with ceramicspeed bearings as standard why do you still favour the DT Swiss?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Because CS bearings are over rated and the oxic braking is pretty much class leading?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Stueys

by Stueys

If it was me I would go Open Pro UST with Carbon Ti. You get the benefit of tubless and the open pro/carbon ti combo will be below 1400. My criteria for purely mountain wheels on rim in order are -
(1) Alu (weather changes quickly up high and breaking on wet carbon still isn't great. Plus less concern on heat build up)
(2) Stiffness (minimal power loss between pedal and tarmac)
(3) weight (it all helps when going up)

I personally also like a tubeless rim with a bead lock (as the UST has) as it gives me that bit of confidence that the tyre stays on the rim if theres a blow out on a descent.

StevenH72

by StevenH72

Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:30 am
Because CS bearings are over rated and the oxic braking is pretty much class leading?

appreciate the tone in your reply, cheers. Really makes new members want to contribute and participate in discussions.

Don't worry I shalln't pester your forum member any loinger by asking more questions. Back to lurking for me.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

StevenH72 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:23 am
robertbb wrote:

Of far more importance are stiffness, braking, bearing quality (poor bearings really will slow you down), the number/thickness/pattern of spokes (can have effects on handling, especially in sidewinds) and the interface to the type and size of tyre you want to run.

I agree with this, but am intrigued. Given the stiffness values of the Hunts and that they come with ceramicspeed bearings as standard why do you still favour the DT Swiss?
Ceramic bearings allegedly need more regular maintenace than steel, plus many are hybrid, removing much of the advantage. Watch one of Hamini's videos on youtube, you'll see that in his opinion the best quality bearing regardless of material of manufacture is the best.

Wookski

by Wookski

StevenH72 wrote:
Hunt? That's even more amusing than including Mavic in the list.

Best climbing wheels I've ever used: AX Lightness U24T- ridiculously light and extremely good braking. Best everyday climbing wheels: campy bora ultra 35's- stunning build quality and absolutely bomb proof.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I'd use my extralite hubs on 45mm deep tubeless rims at 1280g.

That light and aero.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

StevenH72 wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:

appreciate the tone in your reply, cheers. Really makes new members want to contribute and participate in discussions.

Don't worry I shalln't pester your forum member any loinger by asking more questions. Back to lurking for me.
Really? You asked a Q and I gave a succinct answer.

Using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:06 am
StevenH72 wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:

You also recommended alloy rims (AKA peasant wheels)- I'd be just as upset with your response as StevenH72

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Wookski wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:06 am
StevenH72 wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:

You also recommended alloy rims (AKA peasant wheels)- I'd be just as upset with your response as StevenH72
We can't all live that carefree baller life.

Using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:36 am
We can't all live that carefree baller life.

Carbon is the sensible choice, way more longevity than alloy rims

StevenH72

by StevenH72

We all have a shared passion here.... hence we're here.

I'm on here because I don't know everything there is to know about wheels / bikes in general. Sarcastic / condesecending posts help nobody.

I obviously thought ceramic bearings were a good selling point, Lewn777's response was helpful, Nefarious inferring his superior knowledge with a condescending twist was not.

I didn't know CS bearings were over rated (I will check out Hambini's videos), and for a moderator to respond as such, without providing any real advice / help, is poor.

Also, Hunt wheels. Why so embarassing? I know their limitless range has just been recalled, but from what I can see that wouldn't effect the 36 UD Carbon Spoke range and those who are using Hunt wheels are generally very happy (at least from my own experience).

Campervan

by Campervan

Wookski wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:31 am
StevenH72 wrote:
Hunt? That's even more amusing than including Mavic in the list.

Best climbing wheels I've ever used: AX Lightness U24T- ridiculously light and extremely good braking. Best everyday climbing wheels: campy bora ultra 35's- stunning build quality and absolutely bomb proof.
Why amusing? Even the Hunt wide aer race would be ok? £359, sub 1500grams. I am aware of teh Hambini report, however that is about how aero the 50's are.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com