Game Changers - the documentary

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

I saw a guy mention this documentary when it came out on Reddit and the reaction from the keto community was shocking. Best I could describe it would be like watching a guy go to a muslim website and post something taking the piss out of Mohammed. That's the level of irrationality and tribal group hate that was on display. The guy who posted it wasn't really saying anything either other than asking if anyone had seen it :lol:

Seeing stuff like that puts me off 'communities' online. They seem to attract a large proportion of largely unhappy white adults who're looking for validation, and respond incredibly insecurely to anything which they perceive, often wrongly, might threaten their identity.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

Shrike wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:19 pm
Seeing stuff like that puts me off 'communities' online. They seem to attract a large proportion of largely unhappy white adults who're looking for validation, and respond incredibly insecurely to anything which they perceive, often wrongly, might threaten their identity.
Weightweenies will miss you, dude :lol:

morrisond

by morrisond

I watched the Movie as well.

I have a bad thyroid so I can't look at a Carb or I gain lbs.

I've tried Keto a few times but always got what they term the Keto Flu.

I decided to try Vegan 5 days ago - no animal products, dairy products and trying to stay away from Wheat (Gluten-Free).

I've been pigging out on Veggies, Rice and Gluten Free Pasta for 5 days and I'm down 5 lbs.. I've also been eating things like Banana's and Apples

I feel amazing - inflamation is way down and I can't finish everything on my plate. Cravings for crappy foods are way down.

Will I go totally Animal free - I don't know yet - but I'm feeling great so far.

Luckily they make Gluten Free Beer.

AJS914

by AJS914

Sounds like a positive result. What are you eating for protein?

sanrensho

by sanrensho

morrisond wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:50 pm

I decided to try Vegan 5 days ago - no animal products, dairy products and trying to stay away from Wheat (Gluten-Free).

I've been pigging out on Veggies, Rice and Gluten Free Pasta for 5 days and I'm down 5 lbs.. I've also been eating things like Banana's and Apples

I feel amazing - inflamation is way down and I can't finish everything on my plate. Cravings for crappy foods are way down.

Will I go totally Animal free - I don't know yet - but I'm feeling great so far.

Great stuff, keep it up. The amazing thing about vegan/whole food plant-based is you never count calories and servings, eat as much as you want, and the pounds still melt off and stay off. Best decision I ever made. My only regret is not having switched earlier.

morrisond

by morrisond

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:07 pm
Sounds like a positive result. What are you eating for protein?
Vegetables. It's only been a few days so I haven't got that far yet into exactly what veggies have what protein. I am taking a B12 supplement as well.

It keeps striking me that Gorilla's are Plant Eaters and super strong. The two Weight lifters in the film have muscles that look like Gorilla's.

LouisN

by LouisN

Edit
LOuis :)

gurk700

by gurk700

Vegan for 4 years and loving it.

If you wanna try some meals out,

Not kidding you, some of the best food i've had. vegan or non-vegan.
Shit there's a peanut butter rice noodle recipe in there and thinking about it makes my mouth water lol.

Also if I can cook, anyone can. Seriously. I'm hopeless.

EDIT: Btw I wanna add that in my experience quitting meat has been the easiest part. Never ever craved since day 1 going vegan. It's really weird. Cheese and eggs have been much harder.
One thing you realize is texture of food is seriously 90% of your experience. There's avocado recipes in some other books where you swear you're eating eggs. Most bizarre thing ever.
Anyway I don't wanna go into ethics, environment etc or this thread will go down in dumps but I just wanted to say that if you're interested, there's REALLY tasty shit out there. Just don't go Oreos and frozen "chicken nuggets" and beyond burgers every day, however good they can taste. :)

gurk700

by gurk700

sanrensho wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:11 pm
morrisond wrote:

Great stuff, keep it up. The amazing thing about vegan/whole food plant-based is you never count calories and servings, eat as much as you want, and the pounds still melt off and stay off. Best decision I ever made. My only regret is not having switched earlier.
Hold my beer. I had a period where I ate frozen food, oreos and vegan burgers. I actually gained weight :D
That's common sense though.

Kidding aside, yeah, what I love is that when I "let go" for a week or two on vacation and eat vegan junk food, I don't gain 5-6lbs anymore. I put on maybe 2lbs which sheds off once I'm back on the bike. I haven't calorie counted in ages and I used to be obsessed.

Shrike

by Shrike

robertbb wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:51 am
Shrike wrote:
:lol:

Self-awareness switch off that day :)

@ guys above, to be clear you're saying people on plant based whole food diets don't gain weight and eat as much as they want because the food is more satiating and therefore the calorie intake is usually lower than a typical western diet. You're not saying that somehow the diet allows you to run a calorie surplus and not gain weight, right?

Think that might cause some confusion and lead to some people getting fatter. I've seen vegan videos where people got fatter and were shocked by it, simply because some people had pushed the diet onto them while making it seem that they could eat as much as they liked :shock:

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I've been 'plant-based' for about 5 years. I only buy vegan, but sometimes I pragmatically eat white meat or dairy to prevent family food waste.

Be careful though most people can get fat on a vegan diet if they still enjoy regular alcohol or eat vegan junk food. Selling a vegan diet as something you can't get fat on certainly isn't true for everyone.

I would say that a vegan diet is as good for performance as a standard healthy diet with meat. it could be better for some sports, but there isn't enough evidence. It certainly is better environmentally and ethically so I'm all for it.

What I really can't understand is people that get angry over some people having a vegan diet. What's next people that get angry because you don't fly regularly or drive an SUV? :roll:

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Shrike wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:48 am

@ guys above, to be clear you're saying people on plant based whole food diets don't gain weight and eat as much as they want because the food is more satiating and therefore the calorie intake is usually lower than a typical western diet. You're not saying that somehow the diet allows you to run a calorie surplus and not gain weight, right?

Think that might cause some confusion and lead to some people getting fatter. I've seen vegan videos where people got fatter and were shocked by it, simply because some people had pushed the diet onto them while making it seem that they could eat as much as they liked :shock:
It comes down to simple calorie density. A whole food plant-based diet (excludes processed oils, nuts/fats in moderation) is nutrient dense, fiber rich, and low in calorie density. Your stomach fills up from fiber and you naturally feel full before you rack up the calories. Eat a plate that is crowded with veggies and you'll be on the right track. The food tastes delicious too.

Since "vegan" refers to an ethical stance/position, it doesn't indicate what a person is eating. There are junk food vegans who eat a lot of processed foods, and yes, you can get fat on that kind of diet.

gurk700

by gurk700

Shrike wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:48 am
robertbb wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:51 am
Shrike wrote:
:lol:

Self-awareness switch off that day :)

@ guys above, to be clear you're saying people on plant based whole food diets don't gain weight and eat as much as they want because the food is more satiating and therefore the calorie intake is usually lower than a typical western diet.
Answered already but this, obviously.
Cause it's VERY possible to gain weight as vegan and i have.
But this being a cycling forum I think we can safely (hopefully) assume there's still some common sense necessary to stay healthy :)
There's vegan everything if you wanna eat junk. Cookies, cakes, icecream, butter... just less caloric than their non-plant based counterparts.
Plant or no plant it's always best to eat whole foods which fill you up in less calories.

morrisond

by morrisond

morrisond wrote:

To be clear what is really helping is that going mainly plant based (I had about 4 oz's of Grilled Salmon on Friday night) has actually made me feel full - and it's easier to feel full as Vegetables actually have volume and fill up your stomach quickly vs Protein which is a lot smaller. I'm having a hard time cleaning my plate when before when eating normally I would be going back for seconds and eating 16oz+ of Meat to make me feel full as I would be trying to avoid carbs.

I'm hungry later on - but I don't have cravings for crappy food and it's really nice to eat an Apple or Banana that I would not dare eat before if I didn't want to gain weight.

I'm eating Nuts and Fruits for snacks.

I'm really staying away from Processed foods and trying to stick with Whole foods - I think this is a lot of the key as the Foods I'm eating aren't engineered to make you want more.

For example - I had a funny experience yesterday - I was making Caesar salad for my son and got some of the creamy dressing (Rene's Mighty Caesar Premade) on my finger - as reflex in my mouth it goes and within 30 seconds my body was instantly craving sugary sweets and boatloads more of the dressing.

I think this is really the key - Go vegan, eat meat, stick with fish whatever you want but just eat whole foods and really stay away from the crap that is bad for us - anything that was made in a food factory - anything with wheat, white flour, corn, white sugar or Dairy.

It will really clear any inflamation in your Body and make you feel a lot better.

A little bit of clean protein is not so bad. Wild Fish, Free Range Beef and chicken but maybe 10-15% calories not 50%+ like we are used to and nothing coming out of meat factories that have been processed (Chicken injected with saline, Beef raised on Corn full of Hormones).

I'm reading a great book - it's called Ketotarian - which basically takes the above approach. As a poster above stated - you can make some amazing tasting things uses Veggies and basic flavourings - Olive Oil, Salt Pepper, and Vegan Parm.

8 days and 10 lbs lost.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I totally agree that whole food is the way to go.

I've already been on a whole food diet. I've actually lost 15-20 over the last year and a half. I just don't see myself losing a ton in a week or two going plant based. I actually made 3 or 4 plant based dinners this week experimenting with baked and sauted tofu. I already consume a lot of beans, lentils, garbanzo beans, and oatmeal (all rinsed, soaked and home made - no canned food).

Another story I've come across is Sonia Looney. She is a pro endurance mountain biker. She claims she was constantly in the top 10 but couldn't get on the podium. She went plant based and then started winning and was world champion in 2015.