Veloflex releases new "carbon safe" clincher tyres

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

Etienne wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:39 pm
InDustWeTrust wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:00 pm
jeanjacques wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:39 am
Or other manufacturer sell wider tire than advertised (or just inadapted to modern rim, there 28 are 28mm on 13mm rim), this leads to tire clearance problem, incomprehension about tire size, etc.
Veloflex are spot on, a 28c tire have to be 28mm on the average rim, 17mm intern and Veloflex 28 are exactly 28mm.
Ok then, so veloflex tires are spot on, and any other single tire manufacture in the world is completely wrong...

One thing is for sure, tire size is already stablished for many years ago, and it's completely rim width independent, otherwise it would be crazy. Tire size is measured on the tire, unfolded, flat, period. For both mtb and road. Do your homework.
Inconsistency in road tire sizing among brands is a fact ... just read here on this very forum all the threads about the sizes of Schwalbe, Conti etc. even on relatively narrow (by today standards) 17-19mm rims :idea: ... Conti even changed completely the sizing when going from the GP4K to GP5K ... and yes, Veloflex seem to be one of the rare brands that gives a true size for a standard road rim, what's the problem ?

So yes, the best way to predict tire size on a specified rim is probably to measure the tire's width when flat ... but for that you are supposed to have the tire in hands and that is not always possible unless you have very deep pockets full of cash, so please don't be so dismissive :roll:
That efective tire width, when mounted and inflated depends on rim width, it's an uber obvious thing. It's so obvious that discussing about it will only make sense for people who started cycling yesterday. The problem here is that the declared width is not consistent and there is no standard. A tire width size should be declared and measured with the tired mounted in no rim, because a tire width should be a measure of the tire ONLY, not tire+rim combo, because when i shop tires, I don't shop for tire+rim, therefore I am not interested on that combo dimension. I´m shopping on a tire, and tire sizes should be consistent between manufactures, and right now it is not. The "ruler" used to measure tires is something like this one here:

https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel ... ire-sizes/

When you measure something in milimiters, the size of a milimiter is worldwide a standard, doesn't depend on anything else. Thsi whole tire thing size standard nowadays is a joke, that's why if you want a veloflex in "28", you will need a veloflex "30" and that is not produced.

If I shop for bar tape, well, bar tape in a 36cm bar will be smaller than in a 46cm bar, what a surprise!!!! but if I shop bartape, I want to know the length I am buying, if it will be bigger or smaller depending on in which bar I mounted, it's so obvous that doesn't need to be specified. But if I am buying 2 meters of bar tape, 2 meters it is, period.

If I buy a 25mm tire, and I want to mount it on a 29" DH rim with 38mm internal witdh, it might measure 38mm in that bike, but the tire size is 25, not 38.

When I buy a chain, chain length is measure in the number of links. A certain bike will have a certain chainstay length, and then you have chainring size, cassette, etc... but chain length is specified in total links numbers. makes sense.
Last edited by InDustWeTrust on Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

shuttlenote wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:57 pm
InDustWeTrust wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:58 pm

- The nice thing is that all shops are now DISCOUNTING THE CURRENT VELOFLEX MODEL. So I just received today 2xVeloflex master 28mm for 64€ VAT and shipping included!!!
Where did you grab them from? And what is your internal width of your wheels?
got them at futurumshop.nl but check bike-components.de or check the euro shops really, they are discounting the current model everywhere, when you buy 2 tires.

Etienne

by Etienne

InDustWeTrust wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:08 pm
That efective tire width, when mounted and inflated depends on rim width, it's an uber obvious thing. It's so obvious that discussing about it will only make sense for people who started cycling yesterday. The problem here is that the declared width is not consistent and there is no standard. A tire width size should be declared and measured with the tired mounted in no rim, because a tire width should be a measure of the tire ONLY, not tire+rim combo, because when i shop tires, I don't shop for tire+rim, therefore I am not interested on that combo dimension. I´m shopping on a tire, and tire sizes should be consistent between manufactures, and right now it is not.
No need to push open doors here, we all know that for a while ... doesn't change the fact that many road tire manufacturers don't invest much energy in giving a correct information, for exemple a combination of tire width AND rim width so the buyer could make his decision without having the tire in hands, which is very often the case with online sales.

Given that you seem to know everything about cycling, I presume you can understand that, aren't you :?:

Serkie

by Serkie

OK - mounted one up tonight on my Enve 3.4 SES wheelset.

I also checked my rim hooks and to be honest they feel smooth and uniform with no sharp edges. I've been running turbo cottons and have completed 3000 miles on them this year without any drama.

I've tried measuring the width with a tape measure and ruler but there is an element of human judgement to allow for the sidewall width. I probably need a set of verniers and/or a micrometer to do it properly but to my eyes they appear to be just under 25mm. I will borrow some verniers and try again soon.

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

delete
Last edited by InDustWeTrust on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

delete
Last edited by InDustWeTrust on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

delete
Last edited by InDustWeTrust on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

delete

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

delete

robertbb

by robertbb

@ Serkie. Those Enve rims have a 21mm internal width. Very curious as to the actual measurement of the 25mm Masters!

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Veloflex tend to stretch after some hundreds kilometers, normally between 1 and 2 milimeters.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

InDustWeTrust wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:58 pm

- The nice thing is that all shops are now DISCOUNTING THE CURRENT VELOFLEX MODEL. So I just received today 2xVeloflex master 28mm for 64€ VAT and shipping included!!!
good call. picked up 4 corsa for 96Eur inc shipping :up:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:

guyc

by guyc

Could they have made that logo any bigger?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

guyc wrote:Could they have made that logo any bigger?
Pretty standard for Veloflex

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

guyc

by guyc

Such lairy