SMP Saddle Stitching FFS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:02 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:11 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:56 am
Another option might be to have your existing Drakon re-covered by a leatherworker.
That would take some serious skill. Do people like that even exist these days?

Perhaps it would be possible to detach the front of the cover and remove the stitching and then replace. The cover appears to be held in place with just staples. I was also wonder about putting a piece of gorilla tape over the stitching. Wonder if it would stay in place. I'd try that before any surgery.
Here's the one I remember:
http://lehcyclinggoods.com/custom-saddl ... er+Recover

I think the basics are actually...pretty basic. You make a cut out, apply some glue and stretch it over the shell. Then you cut away the excess, fold the edges in, etc. If you live in a populated area, I'll bet there's going to be a few decent leatherworkers/crafters willing to help you out.
Thanks Tobin. That's a great link. Not sure I'll go that route but if I am really stuck I might have to. Great to know it can be done and done well by the look of things.

The huge mileage I have been doing over the last couple years has really taken it's toll on my relationship with my saddle(s). . You have used a saddle for years and think it's perfect for you. Then you log many consecutive 10 -12 hour days and realize it aint so perfect. But for the stitching, SMP might have done the trick. May yet work if I can keep my knees apart :noidea:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

backdoor

by backdoor

Something along the lines of a cheap fix that might be a temporary fix. I often clean my bikes with the Turtle Wax dashboard cleaner. Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009 ... UTF8&psc=1

It makes the saddle super slippery and that might help negate the friction with the shorts.
Through the Valleys and over the Mountains...
2013 Ridley Helium - 6.9Kg
2017 Blue ProSecco - 9.0Kg
2018 Ridley Noah SL - 7.85Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

backdoor wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:46 am
Something along the lines of a cheap fix that might be a temporary fix. I often clean my bikes with the Turtle Wax dashboard cleaner. Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009 ... UTF8&psc=1

It makes the saddle super slippery and that might help negate the friction with the shorts.

This seems less the optimal if any sort of technical riding is involved. I don’t want my ass to slide around on my saddle during a lumpy, twisty descent.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:10 am
backdoor wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:46 am

This seems less the optimal if any sort of technical riding is involved. I don’t want my ass to slide around on my saddle during a lumpy, twisty descent.
That's an interesting issue - whether some friction/grip between saddle and bib shorts is needed. There certainly are a few saddles with texture, etc. to create some grip. I prefer an absolutely smooth, perhaps slippery surface (for obvious reasons). I count on the saddle shape, my bike fit, and how I use my arms and legs to keep me planted in the right spot.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:39 pm

That's an interesting issue - whether some friction/grip between saddle and bib shorts is needed. There certainly are a few saddles with texture, etc. to create some grip. I prefer an absolutely smooth, perhaps slippery surface (for obvious reasons). I count on the saddle shape, my bike fit, and how I use my arms and legs to keep me planted in the right spot.

I thought this was the case until I tried the ISM PN 3.0. It was a bit terrifying to use on certain descents because of the slippery cover. It was more slippery than my bare carbon Bontrager XXX. There seems to be a difference between waxed/polished smoothness and just being visually smooth looking (micro texturing.)

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Are you seeing abrasion on other brand shorts ?

I was using a couple of fizik versus arione vs and suddenly had 5 sets of assos bibs display severe wear across 2 week period (so say 300k wear on each bib? Max) with all 5 bibs totalled with dime sizes holes on the contact points. Was suspect of both the bibs and the saddle.

Traced the wear in that circumstance to the ever so slightly plastic edge of the versus saddle (wing flex location, bottom face, both sides).

But then found same problem from new arione which has cut outs for a minute red colour inset flash near the wing flex zone that was showing thread pulls on the bibs after 110k on new bibs and saddle.

Makes me very suspect of the assos bibs if they are so subject to wear. ..

kgt

by kgt

IME Assos bib fabrics are of a high quality and feel great but in terms of wear there are not the best. In comparison my Giordana FRC bibs have a wear resistant fabric at the back which does not feel as nice but is much more durable.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I just recovered my favorite saddle for $25.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=159265&p=1529042#p1529042
Ride fast Take chances

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

kgt wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:08 am
IME Assos bib fabrics are of a high quality and feel great but in terms of wear there are not the best. In comparison my Giordana FRC bibs have a wear resistant fabric at the back which does not feel as nice but is much more durable.
The bottom line on saddles is that they should be designed so that they simply cannot damage clothing. Very easy to do. Simply nothing rough, no corners, edges, raised logos, stitching, etc. where they are in contact with the rider. Most saddles manage this just fine. It's not like I am doing something wrong here. I've ridden hundreds of thousands of kms on many different saddles and never seen abrasion on my bibshorts - also many different brands. Nothing wrong with Assos durability in my experience.

check6

by check6

mr_tim wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:23 am
Are you seeing abrasion on other brand shorts ?

I was using a couple of fizik versus arione vs and suddenly had 5 sets of assos bibs display severe wear across 2 week period (so say 300k wear on each bib? Max) with all 5 bibs totalled with dime sizes holes on the contact points. Was suspect of both the bibs and the saddle.

Traced the wear in that circumstance to the ever so slightly plastic edge of the versus saddle (wing flex location, bottom face, both sides).

But then found same problem from new arione which has cut outs for a minute red colour inset flash near the wing flex zone that was showing thread pulls on the bibs after 110k on new bibs and saddle.

Makes me very suspect of the assos bibs if they are so subject to wear. ..

Had the same happen to Memphis with all my Assos bibs. Horrible quick wear on a Selle Italia Superflow and SMP Drakon. I was hoping it was me because of how comfortable the bibs are, but after reading this I am convinced I'll have to switch to another brand.

kgt

by kgt

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:27 am
kgt wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:08 am
The bottom line on saddles is that they should be designed so that they simply cannot damage clothing. Very easy to do. Simply nothing rough, no corners, edges, raised logos, stitching, etc. where they are in contact with the rider. Most saddles manage this just fine. It's not like I am doing something wrong here. I've ridden hundreds of thousands of kms on many different saddles and never seen abrasion on my bibshorts - also many different brands. Nothing wrong with Assos durability in my experience.
IME Most saddles have a kind of relief (stiching or ribs or logos or perforation etc). in order to provide the needed friction. Totally smooth saddles are cool until you start slipping on them, and then they are not cool at all.
IMHO bib materials should not only feel nice to the skin but should be durable as well. My summer Assos and some of my summer Santini bibs feel great, almost like wearing silk, but they do not resist abrasion well. Summer Giordana FRC, some summer Santini (with impact fabric) and all of my winter bibs (including Assos) had never such issues.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have the SMP Composit in black and hated the leather as it was very grippy and no matter how much wax I applied never give much for the slippy feel I was looking for. Although I did check my shorts for wear in the thigh area they seemed to show nothing for abraision. My Fizik Arrione saddle however was very rough on my shorts and like others say it was coming from the Wings area. I dont miss the lower back pain or wear and tear on my shorts from that saddle.
I did however hate the leather on the Composit so much that I peeled the it off to a saddle that has no friction and feels much better than my Full Carbon SMP.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The leather on the SMP saddles is also ridiculously thin and wears quickly. I wish the microtex SMPs came in black...