Disc brakes: your greatest dreams, and fears confirmed.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lewn777 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:30 am

Yeah, obviously being like 17 years old you'd know all about the famous 'not squealing?' of SRAM Avid Juicy mountain bike brakes from over 10 years ago. Clearly you were shredding in the woods and hitting doubles on full suspension MTB smoking Js and drinking beers when you were like 5-7 years old. :lol:

And why do >10yo MTB components matter in the here and now?

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

Lewn777 wrote:
Yeah, obviously being like 17 years old you'd know all about the famous 'not squealing?' of SRAM Avid Juicy mountain bike brakes from over 10 years ago. Clearly you were shredding in the woods and hitting doubles on full suspension MTB smoking Js and drinking beers when you were like 5-7 years old. :lol:
My entire point was that it literally doesn't matter if mountain bikes from 10 years ago squealed.
Quoting Aaron now.

Someone once said that the ad-hom attack never works. For all you know I was shredding when I was 5 years old. :podium:

by Weenie

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:47 am
Lewn777 wrote:

And why do >10yo MTB components matter in the here and now?
They don't. Other than I'm being told how perfect disk brakes are and it's all down to incorrect setup why any would make noise, which is complete bs. Disk brakes have always and still make noise depending on brands and materials dirt and moisture. If the pads haven't been bedded in properly and if you use stamped-out type single piece type rotors they are more likely to squeel than two piece or floating rotors. Rim brakes often make noise too, but it doesn't matter whatever kind of brkae you use so long as the brakes work and you don't end up with a migraine.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:57 am
Lewn777 wrote:
My entire point was that it literally doesn't matter if mountain bikes from 10 years ago squealed.
Quoting Aaron now.

Someone once said that the ad-hom attack never works. For all you know I was shredding when I was 5 years old. :podium:
You don't even know the point that you were making then. Don't bother with any more shitposts IGNORE MODE: ON

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

Lewn777 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:07 am
You don't even know the point that you were making then.
Let me rephrase for you then. If you want to compare 10 y/o disc brake technology compare it with this:

Lewn777 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:02 am
They don't. Other than I'm being told how perfect disk brakes are and it's all down to incorrect setup why any would make noise, which is complete bs. Disk brakes have always and still make noise depending on brands and materials dirt and moisture. If the pads haven't been bedded in properly and if you use stamped-out type single piece type rotors they are more likely to squeel than two piece or floating rotors. Rim brakes often make noise too, but it doesn't matter whatever kind of brkae you use so long as the brakes work and you don't end up with a migraine.
First you say that you hate being told that disc brakes are great when set up correctly. Then explain how they make noise when set up incorrectly...
You never answered my question, so let me give you an example of what you are saying. Have you ever used a u-brake with cork pads that have dirt, moisture, and bits of alloy shards in them with carbon wheels?
Have you used a carbon//aloy wheel with a worn-out brake track?
:-| :-|

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Can't read it. Luckily.

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

deleted so i dont get banned for assaulting the elderly

flying

by flying

Calnago wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:00 am
The manufacturers don’t want to keep producing rim brake race bikes for such a small market, for sure. But it’s hard to gain full validation of a technology when the best in the world at the most elite events in the world still, by and large, choose time brakes when given the choice.
The Manufacturers who are pushing the disc look at profit margins & think what a boon we have here.
Sheer $$$ potential & the start of a whole new chapter
First year crappy disc that squeal
then the next year better pads
then next year lighter disc
then the next year better hydraulics
then the next year larger diameter disc (cha ching need a new fork for this one :roll: )

Previously took years to get the real hobby guys to buy more
Now they need not just new wheels, not just new brakes, not just new frames they need IT ALL :D

Well they think we do anyway :D

Meanwhile at the pro level I think given the choice it would be an even harder sell than it has been
Similar to how you don't see MotoGP or car racers using ABS braking even with all it touted benefits
They just don't need it
Neither do I :wink: and I'm no pro

DISCLAIMER: To those who need/like disc I am happy you have the option :thumbup:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

flying wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:38 am
then the next year larger diameter disc (cha ching need a new fork for this one :roll: )

You mean a new adapter plate in most cases. And no, I doubt we’ll see 180mm discs on road/gravel unless e-bikes start equipping them.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

spdntrxi wrote:discs win discs win...

that does not happen as often as... the rim brake/non aero fanboy podium report.
Well, that is just as annoying, for sure. Maybe more. Lol. Image
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

flying

by flying

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:46 am
flying wrote:

You mean a new adapter plate in most cases. .
Hmmm sorry we are going to have to move you from sales to warehousing :wink:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:46 am
And no, I doubt we’ll see 180mm discs on road/gravel unless e-bikes start equipping them
doubt? Who woulda thunk we would be using batteries,wires,servos,switches for the simple task of index shifting of road bikes :wink:

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

flying wrote:
First year crappy disc that squeal
then the next year better pads
then next year lighter disc
then the next year better hydraulics

Previously took years to get the real hobby guys to buy more
Disk brakes are an established product. they have been developed on mountain bikes for 20+ years and are at least a 4th generation product. There is virtually zero room for improvement, only small changes to meet individual markets.

Pads can be swapped for your specific power needs and aggressive pads are louder. Resin pads are lighter and quiet.

Disks are again an established product. pick your weight and required thermal mass. I like the XTR rotors the best.

Hydraulics design is not going to change much.

Max disk size was established at 160mm of flat mount. Any manufacture wanting larger will just use post mount and the mountain bike calipers.

The real roadblock was frame design! 130 rear spacing was not going to work. I knew that the standard would settle on 142 rear and either 100 or 110 front with 12mm thru axles. I said as much 10 years ago when I rode a Volagi with disks. I wanted it then but wasn't willing to be an early adopter.

Goals of the bike. Comfort, aero and great brakes.
https://bikerumor.com/2010/10/12/first- ... sc-brakes/

okimy

by okimy

Meanwhile at the pro level I think given the choice it would be an even harder sell than it has been
Similar to how you don't see MotoGP or car racers using ABS braking even with all it touted benefits
They just don't need it
100% sure F1 (the pinnacle of motorsport!) had ABS, traction control and much more at some point before it was banned. Just can't remember exactly when. If you're interested you can google it.

Bluechip

by Bluechip

Just imagine that penny farthing with disc brakes!

by Weenie

TheRich

by TheRich

okimy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:34 pm
They just don't need it
100% sure F1 (the pinnacle of motorsport!) had ABS, traction control and much more at some point before it was banned. Just can't remember exactly when. If you're interested you can google it.
You're assuming a desire to learn new things.