Veloflex releases new "carbon safe" clincher tyres

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
robertbb

by robertbb

Serkie wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:48 am
robertbb wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 pm
Serkie wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:23 am
Ordered a set of Master 25 SPS directly from Veloflex on Monday for my Enve 3.4 SES wheels. Free delivery option and dispatched the same day, received next day before 12pm. Italy to UK in less than 24 hours, absolutely brilliant service.

Oh and they look beautifully made, look forward to trying them out soon.
Would greatly appreciate any advice as to whether they measure up the same as the non-SPS version.

Not sure whether to go 25 or 28 for my 17mm (internal) wheels (Campy Bora's).
I’m planning on fitting them in a few days time. I’ll report back with some pictures then.
Wonderful, thank you!

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

I answer to this topic, as it seems like many people are confused or have the wrong information;

- There are some carbon clincher rims, specially the overpriced ones (LOL) that have sharp edges, and those sharp edges can break the casing on supple tires with cotton structure (like veloflex or vittoria corsa). The problem is not the tires, the problem are the rims which have a bad desing. These wheels cost 2000-3000€. My chinese carbon rims of 100€ each do not have that problem, I have been running vittorias for 2 years, not a problem with my chinese carbon rims. Chinese carbon rims, sometimes are better than enve. Anything ins better than enve or zipp actually, specially if you consider the price.

- The new veloflex has a rubber reinforcement, so they avoid that problem. Good thing.

- The nice thing is that all shops are now DISCOUNTING THE CURRENT VELOFLEX MODEL. So I just received today 2xVeloflex master 28mm for 64€ VAT and shipping included!!!

- Very important: Veloflex are very very very narrow: These new veloflex 28 run narrower then my michelin pro4 25... The veloflex 28 run as wide as a vittoria 25. So if you want to hav 25mm veloflex, order 28mm. And if you want veloflex in 28, you should order 30mm, but there are no veloflex in 30mm, as far as I know. I also don't know if the new veloflex model run wider, someone should check that, but I don't think they changed that.

My veloflex 28 measure 27,5mm now, if they strecht they will measure 27,9mm, maybe. A michelin pro4 25mm measures 27,7mm, in the same rim... Teh vittoria corsa cx 25 measures exactly the same as the velovlex master 28. So take this into account.

So yes, veloflex: please bring 30mm tires to market, we want them.
Last edited by InDustWeTrust on Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

robertbb wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 pm
Serkie wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:23 am
Ordered a set of Master 25 SPS directly from Veloflex on Monday for my Enve 3.4 SES wheels. Free delivery option and dispatched the same day, received next day before 12pm. Italy to UK in less than 24 hours, absolutely brilliant service.

Oh and they look beautifully made, look forward to trying them out soon.
Would greatly appreciate any advice as to whether they measure up the same as the non-SPS version.

Not sure whether to go 25 or 28 for my 17mm (internal) wheels (Campy Bora's).
Get the 28

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

the current veloflex master model, in 28, 235g sharp, checked on digital scale. Last but not least, do not use butyl tubes with these, it would be like mixing a very expensive red wine with ice and cola.
2019-10-30 19.41.14.jpg
2019-10-30 19.42.50.jpg

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

robertbb wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:24 am
Nefarious86 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 am
28mm Masters. Sign me up :D

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Bikebug were absolutely useless (as always) when I rang to ask when these updated models would come in stock.

Veloflex now sells direct from their website. Free shipping when you buy two tyres, boils down to AU$85 a tyre which isn't over the top. That price includes paying the Europe VAT which we shouldn't have to - I've emailed them to see if they'll take that off at checkout with Australia selected as destination... will report back.
Shipping costs will be the same as the vat. So there is no point in taking it off. If they take the vat off the add the shipping. I do the same thing in my sites free shipping but the vat is paying for that. Shipping is not free.

Veloflex have realised there tyres brand is being devalued by all the online discounting. I looked at the trade pricing direct from the factory and though. Everyone snagged the price so much there is no margin left.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

InDustWeTrust wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:58 pm
My veloflex 28 measure 27,5mm now, if they strecht they will measure 27,9mm, maybe. A michelin pro4 25mm measures 27,7mm, in the same rim... Teh vittoria corsa cx 25 measures exactly the same as the velovlex master 28.
Veloflex Master 28 on 20mm internal wide rim, stretch to 29mm. On 15mm intern, they reach hardly 27mm.

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

jeanjacques wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:41 am
InDustWeTrust wrote:
My veloflex 28 measure 27,5mm now, if they strecht they will measure 27,9mm, maybe. A michelin pro4 25mm measures 27,7mm, in the same rim... Teh vittoria corsa cx 25 measures exactly the same as the velovlex master 28.
Veloflex Master 28 on 20mm internal wide rim, stretch to 29mm. On 15mm intern, they reach hardly 27mm.
Yes, and in a rim with internal width X, they will reach Y mm, obviously. But still, a michelin 25 is wider than a veloflex 28, in any given rim. And a vittoria 25 is exactly the same as the veloflex 28. So long story short, if you want a "28" tire, forget about veloflex because they do not have it. Veloflex calls a "25" tire 28. And 23 they call it 25.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Or other manufacturer sell wider tire than advertised (or just inadapted to modern rim, there 28 are 28mm on 13mm rim), this leads to tire clearance problem, incomprehension about tire size, etc.
Veloflex are spot on, a 28c tire have to be 28mm on the average rim, 17mm intern and Veloflex 28 are exactly 28mm.

1415chris

by 1415chris

kgt wrote:+1
The first Veloflex Master 25 I bought like 8-9 years ago weighted 190gr
Did they have 25 in those days? I remember starting with Veloflex with 22mm both clinchers and tubs.

kgt

by kgt

Yes, they had 23mm and 25mm

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Given the choice, I’d rather they make the edges on offending carbon rims smoother, rather than tire manufacturers having to add material to protect the tires from cutting against a sharp carbon edge. If a carbon clincher is known for having sharp edges, I’d just avoid it entirely. Because a sharp edge or one with exposed open fibers due to rough finishing still has cutting potential. And I’d rather keep the performance of a supple sidewall than thicken or toughen it up to resist a poorly finished carbon clincher.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

jeanjacques wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:39 am
Or other manufacturer sell wider tire than advertised (or just inadapted to modern rim, there 28 are 28mm on 13mm rim), this leads to tire clearance problem, incomprehension about tire size, etc.
Veloflex are spot on, a 28c tire have to be 28mm on the average rim, 17mm intern and Veloflex 28 are exactly 28mm.
Ok then, so veloflex tires are spot on, and any other single tire manufacture in the world is completely wrong...

One thing is for sure, tire size is already stablished for many years ago, and it's completely rim width independent, otherwise it would be crazy. Tire size is measured on the tire, unfolded, flat, period. For both mtb and road. Do your homework.

Etienne

by Etienne

InDustWeTrust wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:00 pm
jeanjacques wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:39 am
Ok then, so veloflex tires are spot on, and any other single tire manufacture in the world is completely wrong...

One thing is for sure, tire size is already stablished for many years ago, and it's completely rim width independent, otherwise it would be crazy. Tire size is measured on the tire, unfolded, flat, period. For both mtb and road. Do your homework.
Inconsistency in road tire sizing among brands is a fact ... just read here on this very forum all the threads about the sizes of Schwalbe, Conti etc. even on relatively narrow (by today standards) 17-19mm rims :idea: ... Conti even changed completely the sizing when going from the GP4K to GP5K ... and yes, Veloflex seem to be one of the rare brands that gives a true size for a standard road rim, what's the problem ?

So yes, the best way to predict tire size on a specified rim is probably to measure the tire's width when flat ... but for that you are supposed to have the tire in hands and that is not always possible unless you have very deep pockets full of cash, so please don't be so dismissive :roll:

alanyu

by alanyu

InDustWeTrust wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:00 pm

The tyre size is dependent on rim width. The old etrto defines the tyre width on 14/15c inner width rim, while the new one defines that on 18c inner width rim.

by Weenie

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

InDustWeTrust wrote:

- The nice thing is that all shops are now DISCOUNTING THE CURRENT VELOFLEX MODEL. So I just received today 2xVeloflex master 28mm for 64€ VAT and shipping included!!!
Where did you grab them from? And what is your internal width of your wheels?