Disc brakes: your greatest dreams, and fears confirmed.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
nickf

by nickf

I guess if it's pouring down rain and going downhill, sure disc might make you feel better. Road tires can only stop so fast before they run out of usable grip. This debate will never end. The safety argument is a marketers dream come true.

Sure there might not be an off the shelf plastic bike on a shop floor but there will be plenty of custom builders keeping the rim brake alive.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

joejack951 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:56 pm
Calnago wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:38 pm
Well, at least he didn’t use the all too favorite analogy of a paradigm shift... the shift from downtube shifters to STI/ergo shifters, which is perhaps the lamest analogy of all, since that change was accepted immediately and people couldn’t switch fast enough, very unlike the snails pace changeover to discs. Why?... because that change really was a no brainer, whereas the change to discs is far from it.
Yep, no one ever cared about the weight gain with STI...

clip on aerobars.... I dont think it's weight gain Lance is worried about in that pic... chose more wisely. :lol:
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

by Weenie

mendiz

by mendiz

During 1999-2005 Tours Lance wore STI just in right shifter.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup, weight was a pretty big obsession with Lance. Here's a pic I took of him at the Alpe d'Huez Time Trial during the 2004 Tour de France. Excuse the blur, but it was with an old Canon Elph digital camera and I was just pointin' and shootin'...
Kind of on a tangent from disc brakes now, but there's no denying, whether talking about yesteryear or today, that weight has always been the primary constant in high performance bicycles. Disc brakes at the pro level goes against that ethos entirely. And if they can make a safe disc brake at 6.8kg, then there is absolutely no valid reason to not lower the UCI limit by 500g, down to 6.3kg. As long as they're using rim brakes to get to that weight, then the safety margin of frame/fork etc., would not be affected negatively compared to a 6.8kg disc bike. But, that would be so unfair to the boys on discs. Boo hoo. The pressure on the UCI from manufacturers is no longer to reduce the weight limit, it is to not do anything to jeapordize disc brake usage.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

nickf wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:37 pm
I guess if it's pouring down rain and going downhill, sure disc might make you feel better. Road tires can only stop so fast before they run out of usable grip. This debate will never end. The safety argument is a marketers dream come true.

Sure there might not be an off the shelf plastic bike on a shop floor but there will be plenty of custom builders keeping the rim brake alive.
Custom Tin, Alu & Ti bikes will always have a niche market
Don't see my Aeroad DB as dated, but I'm glad I picked it up before they go full disc :thumbup:
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

neeb

by neeb

Restyle wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:47 pm
Disc I love it, it makes me feel safer with all these cars cutting corners. There are no more MTB's with rim, within a few years it will be the same for the road, time..

<3 Disc
I Prefer my Ridley.. :D :(

Good enough for Thomas De Gendt..

rides4beer

by rides4beer

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:53 pm
I am pretty sure they are the exact same shifter. Can you send a photo describing what you mean? Pretty sure only the hoods are different and only the 105 short reach version is different.
It hasn't bothered me enough to look at it, but when I get the gravel bike back from the shop, I'll take a closer look. They might be the same design, but the materials/finish are different, and there is definitely something I can feel when my hands are on the hoods with the 105 shifters that I don't feel on the Ultegra shifters. It's the backside of the small lever, can feel it with my knuckles when my hands are on the hoods, nothing major, but it's there.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Mr.Gib, pointing out the fact that you were way off the mark is far from lashing out. But if thats how you feel you're more than welcome to log out and enjoy your happy little bubble :)

I will say tho SRAM road Hydo do suck from an overall stopping power perspective when compared to their Japanese cousins.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

dim

by dim

bottom line .... disk brakes work far better than rim brakes (fact)

if the slight weight difference bothers you, have a pee before you start your ride
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Nikoras

by Nikoras

rides4beer wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:19 pm
icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:53 pm
I am pretty sure they are the exact same shifter. Can you send a photo describing what you mean? Pretty sure only the hoods are different and only the 105 short reach version is different.
It hasn't bothered me enough to look at it, but when I get the gravel bike back from the shop, I'll take a closer look. They might be the same design, but the materials/finish are different, and there is definitely something I can feel when my hands are on the hoods with the 105 shifters that I don't feel on the Ultegra shifters. It's the backside of the small lever, can feel it with my knuckles when my hands are on the hoods, nothing major, but it's there.
Yep, right at the index knuckle. I went to the LBS and started groping some levers like a crazy person today. The Ultegra/Dura Ace shifters were quite a bit smaller than my 105 hydro shifter. This is making that Canyon Endurace SLX look a lot more attractive.

RossLB

by RossLB

dim wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:50 pm
Yesterday I rode my disc bike. Today I rode my rim bike. Both Cervelo R3s. Same route both days, same hills, same traffic. The braking on my rim bike with Archetype rims and swisstop pads is better than the Dura Ace disc brakes on my disc bike. And quieter. And lighter. And easier to maintain. Fact.

neeb

by neeb

dim wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:50 pm

if the slight weight difference bothers you, have a pee before you start your ride
Compressed air brakes and a parachute work even better. Fact.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Personal opinion isn't fact ;)

And if your disc brakes are making noise then they arent set up/maintained properly, that is actually fact.

Using Tapatalk

flying

by flying

Alexbn921 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:11 pm
flying wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:37 pm
musiclover wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:29 am
There were very similar discussion when for example clipless pedals appeared
Just curious...were you part of that discussion?
How many years had you been using toeclips before switching to clipless?
I used toe clips for close to 10 years. Even did a trip across the USA in them. :) That was on down tube shifters too, with biopace triple rings.
Biopace :lol: :lol: I remember & also had Oval-Techs on one bike :wink:
Last edited by flying on Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Nefarious86 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:46 pm
Personal opinion isn't fact ;)

And if your disc brakes are making noise then they arent set up/maintained properly, that is actually fact.

So help a brother out. My discs are silent in the dry, and silent in the wet but only once they heat up a bit. But when I ride in the wet I tend to choose routes that require only occasional braking. So because they are nearly always cold when roads are wet, they howl whenever I do need to use them. I am not sure what set up changes could be made. Everthing is new, torqued to spec, aligned, evenly gapped, no contamination. Tried various pad types, and could change rotors but that's product change, not set-up/maintenance.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.