2020 Canyon Ultimate

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikefire

by bikefire

I am interested in buying Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0. Right now, prety much all Ultimate bikes are out of stock in their US online store. Chatted with their staff online. He said the 2020 Ultimate will be out when getting close to Dec., and will be in stock for sale in US in Jan. There is no detail about the price (hope it won't go up) and spec of 2020 Ultimate yet.

An one has other info or rumors about 2020 Canyon Ultimate? In the past, was Jan the time when they started selling new model?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

digitalintrigue

by digitalintrigue

I was looking at an Ultimate CF SL 8.0 earlier this summer, May/June. The sales team told me end of July, which became end of August, which then became “out of stock.”

Ultimately (npi) they never actually received any of my size. Now listed as out of stock, which means no longer obtainable.

Glad I didn’t wait, ended up buying a CF SLX warranty replacement frame (new but from the original owner) and building that up, otherwise I’d still not have any Ultimate...

When I spoke to them yesterday they said 2020 models December-ish, but based on this history I don’t have a lot of confidence in their promises...

bikefire

by bikefire

Thanks for sharing your experience, @digitalintrigue. I went to their Geman site (https://www.canyon.com/en-de/road-bikes ... be=RD%2FWH), there they list the bike will be avialable for shipping in many different sizes in Dec and Jan. Not sure whether that is the case for US store or not. They also have a new color called MoviStar Blue in German site which is not avialable in US site.

I saw 2019 Cannodale Supersix Evo is on sale now in LBS. Wondering whether I should take that instead. It is a good bike too, but not as light and stylish as Ultimate.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Blind predictions:
2020 Aeroads seen with teams on training rides and on social media in Dec, official announcement in Jan.

2020 Ultimates raced in Catalunya, Paris-Nice and other 1-week races, maybe even Dauphine. Official announcement before the Giro (or Tour).

M4lukz

by M4lukz

kkibbler wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:31 am
Blind predictions:
2020 Aeroads seen with teams on training rides and on social media in Dec, official announcement in Jan.

2020 Ultimates raced in Catalunya, Paris-Nice and other 1-week races, maybe even Dauphine. Official announcement before the Giro (or Tour).
Don't forget this movistar tweet! They are teasing as "Really soon". I don't think that they mean 2/3 months... but we'll see

kkibbler

by kkibbler

It makes no sense to announce a new road bike in winter with no trade shows on the horizon but it's not farfetched that Movistar might start getting new bikes to train on, leak out photos, etc.

corky

by corky

kkibbler wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:03 am
It makes no sense to announce a new road bike in winter with no trade shows on the horizon but it's not farfetched that Movistar might start getting new bikes to train on, leak out photos, etc.
On the contrary, it makes much more sense to do it in a quiet period. It’s not like Canyon need the publicity, indeed there is less chance of it being overshadowed by something else. It’s not a regular release or a season thing, the websites are craving new product and info....

Just my humble etc......

madik

by madik

M4lukz wrote:this movistar tweet[/url]! They are teasing as "Really soon". I don't think that they mean 2/3 months... but we'll see
You think it's relevant to new Ultimate frame as there is hash tag #CanyonUltimate and pictures of old Ultimate? Could by just a hint for a new batch of new frames for Movistar with new paintscheme maybe.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

M4lukz

by M4lukz

madik wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:45 pm
M4lukz wrote:this movistar tweet[/url]! They are teasing as "Really soon". I don't think that they mean 2/3 months... but we'll see
You think it's relevant to new Ultimate frame as there is hash tag #CanyonUltimate and pictures of old Ultimate? Could by just a hint for a new batch of new frames for Movistar with new paintscheme maybe.
Considering all the hype around the "New Aeroad" that MVDP was spotted using a week before worlds, my best guess is that the 2020 Aeroad will have all the cable integrations and stuff as it was seen. Regarding the Ultimate, they either go the "full cable integration" route and indeed do release a new model (since they need to re-do cable routing for fully internal cables), or they keep the current frame design, give them new colors, and maybe start ditching the rim brake models, since "discs are the future".

NordicSal

by NordicSal

M4lukz wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:42 pm
madik wrote:
Considering all the hype around the "New Aeroad" that MVDP was spotted using a week before worlds, my best guess is that the 2020 Aeroad will have all the cable integrations and stuff as it was seen. Regarding the Ultimate, they either go the "full cable integration" route and indeed do release a new model (since they need to re-do cable routing for fully internal cables), or they keep the current frame design, give them new colors, and maybe start ditching the rim brake models, since "discs are the future".
Movistar riders like Valverde is not going to ride discs, so a rim brake model will be available. My guess would have been 2021 Ultimate to be the new one.

M4lukz

by M4lukz

NordicSal wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:44 pm
M4lukz wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:42 pm
madik wrote:
Movistar riders like Valverde is not going to ride discs, so a rim brake model will be available. My guess would have been 2021 Ultimate to be the new one.
For what I've seen, the riders ride what they are provided. If the bike manufacturer provides a rim and a disc frame, the riders are allowed to choose the one they prefer, if the manufacturer only provides disc frames, the riders will have no option rather than using discs.

IMO bike brands are most likely to start developing disc only frames, since it helps not having to design an entire frame with disc +rim "limitations" combined. A good example of this is the new Scott Addict RC, discs only... Specialized are also only provide disc frames...

NordicSal

by NordicSal

M4lukz wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:24 pm

IMO bike brands are most likely to start developing disc only frames, since it helps not having to design an entire frame with disc +rim "limitations" combined. A good example of this is the new Scott Addict RC, discs only... Specialized are also only provide disc frames...
IIRC Cannondale has their current rim brake SuperSix just to cater to some of the pros. The frame is developed with discs in mind, but it isn't hard to make it rim ready for the pros, that's what I think will happen if they offer a new Ultimate in 2020. I still think model year 2021 is more likely.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

bikefire wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:45 am
Thanks for sharing your experience, @digitalintrigue. I went to their Geman site (https://www.canyon.com/en-de/road-bikes ... be=RD%2FWH), there they list the bike will be avialable for shipping in many different sizes in Dec and Jan. Not sure whether that is the case for US store or not. They also have a new color called MoviStar Blue in German site which is not avialable in US site.

I saw 2019 Cannodale Supersix Evo is on sale now in LBS. Wondering whether I should take that instead. It is a good bike too, but not as light and stylish as Ultimate.
We also have Movistar Ultimate in the USA
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes ... roesse=2XS
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

bikefire

by bikefire

Yes, US site has MoviStar Blue color for Ultimate CF SLX Disk 9.0, not for CF SL 8.0. In German site, they have this color for CF SL 8.0

I hope they still have rim break in 2020 model. I don't race downhill or ride in bad weather. Rim break is good enough for me, easy to maintain, lighter and cheaper.

Do you guys know how to identfy the model year of the bikes listed in the online store? They don't show the model year as other manufacturers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NordicSal

by NordicSal

bikefire wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:15 pm
Yes, US site has MoviStar Blue color for Ultimate CF SLX Disk 9.0, not for CF SL 8.0. In German site, they have this color for CF SL 8.0

I hope they still have rim break in 2020 model. I don't race downhill or ride in bad weather. Rim break is good enough for me, easy to maintain, lighter and cheaper.

Do you guys know how to identfy the model year of the bikes listed in the online store? They don't show the model year as other manufacturers.
I don't think you can. All models with the "new" tag are their 2020 offerings. The rest is 2019. Their "CF" bikes are older frames, while the CF SLX and SL are the newest available.