2020 Michelin Power Road ... now available tubeless

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

I haven't ridden Michelin tires in a long time so I'm not sure if these are interesting compared to the new Pro One, GP5000, Corsas, Specialized... They honestly claimed the GP5000 will have lower RR but that theirs are grippier especially in the wet, tougher and lighter but also quicker than previous Michelins, obviously. Apparently both the clincher and the tubeless ready tires weigh 230gr in 700x25, nothing special for a clincher but quite light for a TR if this proves true and preformance is good... surprising weight given the TR has 4x120tpi plies (most have 3, Pro Ones have 2.5 plies) plus a sealing layer.

They use the not-yet-official ETRTO / Mavic Road UST specs so should be pretty easy to mount as well.

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26723 ... oux-french

https://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post ... cyclocross

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

Seems interesting as the claim of the weight and the grip. GP5k TL is deadly fast but the grip doesn't satisfy me. Now I'm running old pro one front and 5kTL rear instead of both 5k TLs to compromise. The new pro ones are still in box so far.

dcorn

by dcorn

How do you guys judge the grip on road tires? What makes you say you aren't impressed with it? Have you actually slid out or wrecked on a corner? I have gone through a bunch of different brands of road tires over the years and railed corners on all of them without ever losing traction or feeling like the tire wasn't grippy enough. That's including my current Hutchinson Sectors that are damn near gravel tires that I have road raced on.

I had good luck with Pro3 tires back in the day, glad to have another choice for tubeless race tires. I'm going to need some soon and I like the sound of grippy, puncture resistant, and easy to mount.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dcorn wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:10 pm
How do you guys judge the grip on road tires? What makes you say you aren't impressed with it? Have you actually slid out or wrecked on a corner? I have gone through a bunch of different brands of road tires over the years and railed corners on all of them without ever losing traction or feeling like the tire wasn't grippy enough. That's including my current Hutchinson Sectors that are damn near gravel tires that I have road raced on.

Yes, I have slid out while cornering. You can also recover rear slides and you can also perform a static grip test by leaning your bike at an angle and pushing against it until it moves.

mentok

by mentok

About time, Michelin. I was running various pro 4 and service corse tubed rubber for a few seasons before I moved everything over to tubeless and was pretty happy with them

dcorn

by dcorn

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:08 pm
dcorn wrote:
you can also perform a static grip test by leaning your bike at an angle and pushing against it until it moves.
I mean sure, but that doesn't tell you much of anything without your weight on the seat. I guess you can compare the unweighted static test of those tires, but I wouldn't necessarily extrapolate those results to line up with an actual riding test.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

dcorn wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:23 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
dcorn wrote:
you can also perform a static grip test by leaning your bike at an angle and pushing against it until it moves.
I mean sure, but that doesn't tell you much of anything without your weight on the seat. I guess you can compare the unweighted static test of those tires, but I wouldn't necessarily extrapolate those results to line up with an actual riding test.
Well if you push your weight at the saddle and bar at an angle, it is weighted. Some of your force push the bike to the ground not just to the side.
Still only static state though. Grip while rolling can be different.

AGB

by AGB

I liked the Michelin Power Comp -a lot EXCEPT:

- wear rate was too fast for the price. ( I hear this a lot at the local bikeshop)
- fragile sidewalls
- seemed to puncture more than the GP4000's I eventually converted over too.
+ supple feeling on the road
+ felt fast.

I'll be staying with Latex until this technology has been perfected!
2017 Giant TCR SL1 | 6.80kg sans
2019 Giant Propel SL0 | 7.00kg sans - WinSpace Hyper 50mm wheel upgrade

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

dcorn wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:23 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
dcorn wrote:
Well thats pretty much how you test for the coefficient of friction.

jasonh

by jasonh

I ran Michelin power endurance for a couple years and thought they were pretty good. The treads center contact patch appeared triangular because it’s extra thick, presumably for longer wear. Kind of weird when looking down on the front wheel.
I wonder if their new versions will have this.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 pm

Grip while rolling can be different.

A rolling tire is an infinite static contact patch along the road surface. I can’t really imagine a scenario where ranked order would differ.

anykarthik

by anykarthik

dcorn wrote:

I had good luck with Pro3 tires back in the day, glad to have another choice for tubeless race tires. I'm going to need some soon and I like the sound of grippy, puncture resistant, and easy to mount.
I too have slid out unexpectedly. Tire in question was a set of new Pro Ones on a damp patch at ~30-35 mph mid bend. It hurt.

But that is not a repeatable test, so it is hard for me to say for certain from just that incident that grip was lower than the gp4k2 set it replaced.

However, one way I DO get a decent sense of traction levels is while braking hard. The Pro Ones consistently locked up earlier (especially in the wet) compared to the gp4k2s and also the current hutchinson 11storms I am running. Of course, there are a ton of caveats - tire compound is not uniform across the center and shoulders, braking friction is different from cornering friction etc etc.

Side note: My experience with Schwalbe in general (Pro One, G-one speed, nobby nic mtb tires), is that grip on wet pavement is noticably lower compared to equivalent tires from other brands like Conti, Hutchinson, Maxxis etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PeytonM

by PeytonM

The power comps (old tube type) are my favorite tires. More then another tire Michelin have some funny compounding across the tire. They give me the most confidence in corners with the bike lent over, yet more lock ups under brakes and wheel spin in sprints and steep wet hills.