Durable tubeless tyre

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Hey

Just curious and might want to try tubeless.
The internet is full of reviews... But usually they are all about the "high performance" stuff.

I would like to hear people's opinion (no mud-fight thanks) on a "durable" tubeless tyre. What i mean with durable is a higher puncture protection than the usual "don't worry, the sealent will take care of everything so let's make the lightes tyre possible"...

For reference, the only thing i found that will keep punctures to a minimum are Schwalbe durano plus smartguard tyres (puncture like every second year).

I live in a area with flint (all over the place) so small punctures, but also bigger cuts, are normal here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Road tubeless is not as clearly delineated into 'performance' /'bombproof' categories as road clincher is. Nor are there many really light tubeless tyres: corsa speed, one or two others, that's it, and no-one should be using corsa speed as an everyday tyre. General use tubeless in 25/28 width is usually around 300g, give or take, and I have found such tyres to be robust even though some of them are very, very performant. I live on the edge of the Chilterns in the UK where the predominant geology is chalk with embedded flints. Historically I've had sh*tloads of punctures from little shards of flint. Since I switched to tubeless that category of flat has been effectively eliminated. Not saying there haven't been a couple of disasters, there have been, but that feeling of a tyre going squishy then rolling on the rim, it's not a familiar one in the way it used to be. Even a tubeless fail often leaves you with 20psi or whatever, enough to roll home carefully.

Let's see what others say.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Interessting. Sounds a lot like conditions here.

But yes... That's what i am interested in. The performance/bombproof categories

naylor343

by naylor343

I've had good experience using Hutchinson sectors. Use it on the road, but also performs well on gravel too. Some reviewers complain of lack of wet weather grip, but I have not found this at all. It is possible that their grip issues are due to over inflation. I live in the pyrenees and I am happy on twisting descents, even in the rain, I have not lost grip.

alanyu

by alanyu

Giant AC0, IRC X-guard

willmac

by willmac

Pirelli cinturato velo is what you are after. Tread is 3.6mm instead of the usual 2.7 for gp5000, corsa, pro one. Rolls fast enough for winter. I've been looking for something like this for a while. Thick tread plus sealant should mean winter flats are a thing of the past

alanyu

by alanyu

willmac wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:23 pm
Pirelli cinturato velo is what you are after. Tread is 3.6mm instead of the usual 2.7 for gp5000, corsa, pro one. Rolls fast enough for winter. I've been looking for something like this for a while. Thick tread plus sealant should mean winter flats are a thing of the past
My cinturato on rear wheel only survived around 1400 km. Yes, although cinturato got no punctures, it wore out quickly, ending up with one big bubble on the tread and one small on the side. If there was no bubbling, it could survive maybe 3000~4000km considering only the wearing, but that's still less than 4800km of pro one I rode with on the rear wheel from the late spring to the early autumn, which survived 4800km, with one or two punctures, but the sealent worked.

Sockman

by Sockman

Im running Vittoria Rubino G2.0 tubeless. Not so many miles to report on, but they were as easy to set up on my HED Ardennes rims as a regular clincher, and haven't flatted in about 500km of riding in mostly absolute slop conditions in and around Copenhagen.

The last ride I did with tubes was on corsa g2.0 28c and got 5 flats in 90km.

Marin

by Marin

MaxPower wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:41 am
Hey

Just curious and might want to try tubeless.
The internet is full of reviews... But usually they are all about the "high performance" stuff.
I would still try a regular tubeless tire like the GP5000, with a good sealant like Orange Seal. Chances are you won't notice any punctures at all.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Nice to hear some first hand accounts on durable stuff.

It's not that i don't like high performance stuff, but for me the question of more durable TL is peace of mind and less sealant to remove from lycra and the bike 😁

kode54

by kode54

naylor343 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:41 am
I've had good experience using Hutchinson sectors. Use it on the road, but also performs well on gravel too. Some reviewers complain of lack of wet weather grip, but I have not found this at all. It is possible that their grip issues are due to over inflation. I live in the pyrenees and I am happy on twisting descents, even in the rain, I have not lost grip.
I have also had good experience with the Hutchinson Sectors. Easy to mount and get sealed. no issues with grip in rain, i run mine at 50 psi.
One puncture I had with the Sectors...ran over some debris from a car accident remains...sliced the tire. i'm sure any tire wouldn't have survived that. Made a diagonal cut that was too wide.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

MaxPower

by MaxPower

kode54 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:12 pm
naylor343 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:41 am
I have also had good experience with the Hutchinson Sectors. Easy to mount and get sealed. no issues with grip in rain, i run mine at 50 psi.
One puncture I had with the Sectors...ran over some debris from a car accident remains...sliced the tire. i'm sure any tire wouldn't have survived that. Made a diagonal cut that was too wide.
How did you get home?

gnuehcwc

by gnuehcwc

alanyu wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:22 pm
Giant AC0, IRC X-guard
IRC X-guard +1

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I certainly noticed punctures with the contis.

Irc formula x guard is very durable and gives a pretty good ride. Punctures are far from frequent but being the puncture king I still get them. 6000km ft
Rom a rear tyre with an 88kg rider (kitted) and a heavy loaded bike.

Hutchinson fusion 5 all season last half as long but otherwise are fairly trouble free.

IRC roadlite not as durable or puncture resistant as the formula pro tyres but they are comfortable. Wet grip is not as good but still comparable to many other tyres.

Goodyear eagle. This would be a puncture resistant tyre. It transmits too much road buzz though.

I have yet to try the Victoria's but my expectation is the Rubin will last as along as Hutchinson all.season tyre.

The sector lasts well but lack wet grip.

I care little for how easy a tyre is too mount. IRC tyre levers make easy work of tight fitting tyres.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MaxPower

by MaxPower

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:50 am
I certainly noticed punctures with the contis.

Irc formula x guard is very durable and gives a pretty good ride. Punctures are far from frequent but being the puncture king I still get them. 6000km ft
Rom a rear tyre with an 88kg rider (kitted) and a heavy loaded bike.

Hutchinson fusion 5 all season last half as long but otherwise are fairly trouble free.

IRC roadlite not as durable or puncture resistant as the formula pro tyres but they are comfortable. Wet grip is not as good but still comparable to many other tyres.

Goodyear eagle. This would be a puncture resistant tyre. It transmits too much road buzz though.

I have yet to try the Victoria's but my expectation is the Rubin will last as along as Hutchinson all.season tyre.

The sector lasts well but lack wet grip.

I care little for how easy a tyre is too mount. IRC tyre levers make easy work of tight fitting tyres.
thank you very much for sharing