2019 Sram Force ETAP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

timmerrr

by timmerrr

The new sram groupsets just seem to be loud. I was riding behind a local bike shop employee (who is probably the best mechanic in the area) in a pace line and he was on a bike with force axs. It was increadibly loud the whole ride, going slow or fast. I was really surprized.
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Mine has quieted down over the last 1000 miles but is still louder than I would like. Stripping the chain and using dry lube made a noticeable difference. There are a couple teeth on the cassette that move the chain causing noise too.
Everything is perfect on my setup from derailleur hanger and alignment to chain length. The main contributing factor to the noise seems to be the clutch and extra tension from the rear derailleur on the chain. Even a little relief on the derailleur cage takes away most of the noise.
Ride fast Take chances

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

The noise certainly isn't the chain. Using the axs chain on a Campy 12 drivetrain is a little quieter

g32ecs

by g32ecs

timmerrr wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:56 pm
The new sram groupsets just seem to be loud. I was riding behind a local bike shop employee (who is probably the best mechanic in the area) in a pace line and he was on a bike with force axs. It was increadibly loud the whole ride, going slow or fast. I was really surprized.
Can you explain what is exactly loud? Im assuming it's chain noise

He was probably cross chained and he had that compensating function off (?) It's one thing you barely notice in a group ride unless you're right behind him

Just a guy here knowing the minute details as I'm heavily considering this groupset

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I have force etap
No chain drops here. IS the issue under power (or not) for those that have drops?
Noise... not sure. I have not noted it.
But a clutch will add resistance. Resistance should add noise.

I had FD rub in big rear/small front but adjusted it out. I have just learned that ONLY YOU are the best one to fine tune a drivetrain.

AZR3

by AZR3

Running Red AXS 1x with Force chain and 10-33 cassette with updated Wolftooth 40t oval chainring and it's noticeable quieter than my old Force CX1/KMC setup. I have just over 100 miles but it's smooth and quiet so far.

timmerrr

by timmerrr

g32ecs wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:30 am
Can you explain what is exactly loud? Im assuming it's chain noise

He was probably cross chained and he had that compensating function off (?) It's one thing you barely notice in a group ride unless you're right behind him

Just a guy here knowing the minute details as I'm heavily considering this groupset
he for sure wasnt cross chained as we were going 25+mph for most of the ride. The noise was coming from the back of the bike, so either chain or cassette. it didn't sound like it was out of adjustment, almost like it was a dry chain but the chain wasn't dry...
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

jadedaid

by jadedaid

timmerrr wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:56 pm
Is it noticeably louder than the old eTap? I find that if my alignment is off even a little bit the noise increase is huge with eTap. Would be interested to hear whether this is just bad alignment (just because they're a bike shop employee doesn't mean their setup is good) or if it is just a noisy groupset?

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

A buddy got his new bike with force axs and we went out, was amazed at how loud it was, pretty annoying to be close to it. He dropped it at my place for a check and i found the fd cage was rubbing in the hardest gear. Well done pro mechanic at the shop! The rear looked fine. I started from scratch anyway and played a lot with the fine trim. My conclusion: noisy no matter what. Super easy to install and set, super easy to use and shift, but noisy enough to put me off even if it would cost half as much. I did not try squirt on it, on my campa bike i find regular oil is less noisy than wax.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Even with 11spd, I find noise levels to be worse with SRAM cassettes because of the thickness (or shape) of the teeth, magnified by the monoblock high-end designs.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

If im not mistaken some people complain that 12s campa is noisier thsn 11. Could be the hollow cassette...i wonder about filling with pu foam.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Can anyone take a Youtube video on what noise we're talking about here?

Really thinking it has something to do on how the chain was made. Do the Red owners have the same problem?

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

It happens that the rear wheel had some vertical pulse and i filmed a before and after to show the effect of weighting. Not sure if it is telling enough for the chain sound but anyway: https://youtu.be/oUrgAKyTITM

DaveS

by DaveS

g32ecs wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:45 pm
Can anyone take a Youtube video on what noise we're talking about here?

Really thinking it has something to do on how the chain was made. Do the Red owners have the same problem?
The force axs chain is certainly quiet on a Campy 12 drivetrain, where it's not supposed to work.

Hapatron

by Hapatron

I just found this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCNxq69wuPc
This guy has the same issues as I do, super loud chain noise.

It would be pretty cool if someone else who has SRAM Force AXS and don't have a loud chain could post a similar video simply to compare.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com