New Specialized Tarmac 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

citrusparty wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:36 am
AMGRoadster wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:10 am
It is time for a new road bike. The S Works Tarmac Disc is currently at the top of my list. Can anyone confirm the differences between the 2019 & 2020? Besides color options. I am probably making a bigger deal about it than I should but the untidy brake lines & wires really bothers me. Yes, it can be cleaned up some with different handlebars but it is still not great. I really wish the cockpit was as clean as the one on the Venge.
Next year's model is fully integrated if you can wait that long. There were pictures in this thread about a month ago but have since been deleted
Last edited by ome rodriguez on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

xylar wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:44 pm
What do you think would be the maximum discount on 2019 Tarmac SL6? Found one at 21% off. Worth holding out?
In one thread it was stated that a 25% discount is very achievable if you have a good relationship with your bike shop. Not sure if you can do better on a model year old bike or not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Of all the new frames that are coming out it's Ridley who really tried hard to avoid the dropped stays (theirs is just a little bit dropped) and hidden cables.

Sort of disappointed with Specialized. This can be mistaken to a SS Evo, SLR01 or Addict. Just slap the correct logo on.

I cant wait to see how they package their new bikes though. I find Specialized to be a bit pricey at full retail but the componentry makes sense past the $5k mark with Roval wheels

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

g32ecs wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:44 pm
I cant wait to see how they package their new bikes though. I find Specialized to be a bit pricey at full retail but the componentry makes sense past the $5k mark with Roval wheels
Normally I would get a frame and build up the bike but with the pricing on the S Works and the selected components I end up better off buying a complete bike. Then I have to swap in some new parts. Like different handlebars.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

Do you reckon they'll get the weight down for 2021 model and if so how light will it be?

Can't weight for semi-aero disc brake bikes closing in on 6kg.

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

scapewalker wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:43 pm
Do you reckon they'll get the weight down for 2021 model and if so how light will it be?

My guess is that weight reduction will be at the bottom of their priority list. I would expect them to make the bike more aero and to clean up the cockpit. Plus integrating whatever feedback they have received from the pros concerning the ride quality. Maybe a small weight reduction but given UCI rules I would not expect it to be much if any.

bastosboi

by bastosboi

scapewalker wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:43 pm

During the past four weeks, I was shopping for a new roadbike.
Since I ride a Canyon Aeroad already, the new Venge did not make sense in my stable as a second aero bike.
Instead, I wanted more of a complimentary bike, i.e. a mountain goat for climbing.
However, I'd take the weight penalty for disc brakes. I ride in the alps and dislike the unpredictable braking behaviour of carbon rim brakes in the wet.
Goal: achieve sub-6.5kg for disc brake bike incl. pedals, size 52.

I talked to my Specialized dealer about the upcoming SL7. He had also seen the prototype as pictured above.
However, he said it won't be released exactly like that, e.g. the integrated cockpit of the higher-tier models is missing on this prototype.

He says that dropping weight for next-generation is not high on Spesh's priority list.
S-Works model will hit 6.8kg easily anyways with right componentry.
Goal is rather to stay around the ~7kg mark and focus on other areas like cockpit integration (to keep up with the Joneses) and compliance.
Integrated cockpit on SL7 with hidden cabling requires more volume from the stem, headtube.
This comes with a weight penalty (see weight of new Cannondale SuperSix Evo cockpit).
Also next-gen Dura Ace will be 12-speed, again with weight penalty.

He therefore expects the SL7 generation to be a tad heavier comp. to SL6, equal at best. Lighter? Highly unlikely.

Weightwise, the 6.8kg UCI limit seems to be appreciated by bike industry. Makes it possible to not only go weightweenie route and only sell the lightest bikes, but also go aero route and sell aero bikes. See how they suckered me into it? :evil: :D

Stiffness in roadbike frames for going fast is pretty much a solved problem. Not much to gain here anymore without compromising on compliance and weight.
I feel the manufacturer's goal is to stay around the 7kg mark and focus on topics like bling-bling (e.g. hidden cabling), disc brakes (sell new wheelsets) and new groupsets with heavier cassettes (but MOAR GEARS!).
Even more so... currently, the manufacturer's research & development efforts primarily go into developing e-bikes... but that's another topic.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

The ancient 6.8kg weight limit again prevents us weekend warriors from having for fun on our local climbs.
It's such a pitty rnd is still limited by UCI rules which don't even apply to most of us. I'd really love to to see Spesh and other manufacturers go all out even if i had to pay a premium.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

I'm torn between a Tarmac/Roubaix and Canyon Ultimate/Endurace.

The thing that stands out on the Specialized models is the threaded bb's.

What do you guys think?

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

NordicSal wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:03 pm

What do you guys think?
For whatever it is worth all the comparison tests I have seen prefer the Tarmac over the Canyon offerings. I can't offer personal experience with any of the bikes. The friend that rides a Canyon loves his bike.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

AMGRoadster wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:55 am
NordicSal wrote:

What do you guys think?
For whatever it is worth all the comparison tests I have seen prefer the Tarmac over the Canyon offerings. I can't offer personal experience with any of the bikes. The friend that rides a Canyon loves his bike.
Aside from looking at completely different types of bike which is a worrying level of indecision (i.e. Tarmac vs. Roubaix), IMO the Tarmac SL6 is better than the Ultimate - it feels faster.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

colagreek

by colagreek

Anyone have the pics of the proto SL7?

rides4beer

by rides4beer

NordicSal wrote:

What do you guys think?
Keep in mind that the threaded BB is only on the Comp/Sport frame, if you go with the S-Works/Pro/Expert then you get a pressfit BB. I haven't ridden an Ultimate, but I'm absolutely loving my SL6 Comp Disc. I've only had it for a couple of weeks and have already done a century and a ton of climbing/descending and it is performing fantastically. Fast, stable, comfortable, couldn't ask for more.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Yes for tarmacs. I built up an S-Works Roubaix last week and it most certainly had a threaded bb. All of the new roubaix's have threaded bbs iirc. The Roubaix is not the same "comfort" or "endurance" bike it was in the last generation, its a completely different machine now.

C36

by C36

colagreek wrote:Anyone have the pics of the proto SL7?
ImageImage

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com