Carbon railed saddle repair

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Leviathan

by Leviathan

Ive a Fizik Aliante with carbon rails. Im pretty sure the rails have unbonded from the saddle shell at the nose as every time I press the nose it creaks
Two questions
1) Given the rails rest within the nose of the saddle with this design, Im thinking my weight will keep it all together, and its unlikely to suffer a critical failure? Anone had a saddle explode at the nose?
2) Was thinking about just dropping in some araldite to reglue the carbon rails- would this work? It has a plastic cover at the bottom of th nose which I havent removed yet but guess I coudl just rip off?
Many thanks

hlvd

by hlvd

I believe Fizik saddles have a two year guarantee, is it older?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've "reglued" my rails on my berk lupina ... it's ugly but nobody sees the underside anyways.. I used copous amounts of JB-weld for plastics.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

hlvd wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:56 pm

Its less than a year old, not but not sure I can be bothered to ship it back to italy and wait.

hlvd

by hlvd

Leviathan wrote:
hlvd wrote:

Its less than a year old, not but not sure I can be bothered to ship it back to italy and wait.
You have to return it back to where you purchased it, then they deal with the warranty.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

hlvd wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:15 am
Leviathan wrote:
hlvd wrote:

You have to return it back to where you purchased it, then they deal with the warranty.

Indeed. which would be Italy, given I bought the custom colour option direct from Fizik.

hlvd

by hlvd

Leviathan wrote:
hlvd wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:15 am
Leviathan wrote:
hlvd wrote:

Indeed. which would be Italy, given I bought the custom colour option direct from Fizik.
It’s not that difficult to send it to Italy.

I had a faulty Kurve saddle and I’m sure I sent it to Italy for a warranty case.
I got a new saddle in return and I’m sure it only took around two weeks.

Marin

by Marin

Use strong liquid epoxy. I have fixed Tune saddles with UHU Plus Endfest 300 (should be able to find it on ebay). 300kg / cm² max rating.

It gets thinner after mixing and flows into cracks. Cure under moderate heat for best strength.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Leviathan wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:42 pm
hlvd wrote:

I had to replace a Tundra. I sent them a photo of the break and a copy of my receipt, and they sent me a new saddle w/o having to send the original one back. Reach out to them and see what they tell you.
Madone 9 - https://bit.ly/2Nqedbn
Emonda SLR - https://bit.ly/2UK5FP8
Crockett - https://bit.ly/2Xem4sk

Madone 5, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Marin wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:34 pm
Use strong liquid epoxy. I have fixed Tune saddles with UHU Plus Endfest 300 (should be able to find it on ebay). 300kg / cm² max rating.

It gets thinner after mixing and flows into cracks. Cure under moderate heat for best strength.
thanks Im goona try just that. I cant send them a photo as you cant see it, only hear it...

by Weenie

simoncx

by simoncx

I fixed my slr with liquid epoxy a couple months ago because it also separated at the nose. Not sure how the fizik aliante is but I had to drill a small hole in the base of the seat just in front of the rails so I could inject epoxy in the cavity the rails sit in to get a better bond. It looks a little odd but only if you look under the saddle.