2020 Schwalbe Pro One

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
refthimos

by refthimos

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:46 pm
ENVE basically needs to test to see if the Schwalbe Pro One TLE beads stretch over time enough to blow off a hookless rim at rated and over rated pressures. It requires more than one tire as well.
Well if that's the case (that the testing requires significant time), then that certainly explains things. I haven't heard any details regarding their testing protocol other than they "do something" and then note whether or not the tire gets blown off their test rim. For "major" tire releases, it would be nice to know that compatibility would be announced "approiximately X-Y weeks after release," where X-Y is the expected range of testing time needed.

I get that the testing takes time, I just have no idea what that is and right now not sure if we are closer to one day or one year to hearing from ENVE.

With that, I agree that it's more likely than not that ENVE will put the Pro One TLEs on the compatible list.

FWIW this morning I mounted the Pro One TLEs on CLX50s and it was crazy easy, both to get the tires on as well as getting them seated. I was thinking this was my new "go-to" tire until the BRR data was released.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Easy to put on. 246g and 251g. Inflate with floor pump. Ride very very well, supple and grippy. Might be a little tough to put on the first time but they stretch out quite a bit after that.Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yeah, all of those pros for me far outweigh the "cons" of not being the fastest tire on the market. We are just a couple years removed from the benchmark tire being ~13w. 10w is still completely solid IMO. I've yet to ride a tire that's "faster" than that and gives me much ride confidence.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Agreed, not a fan of GP5000s. It's either the new Pro Ones or Rapid-Airs for me. Hutchinson Fusion 5 performances coming close but probably significantly slower than the Schwalbes or rapid airs.

robeambro

by robeambro

I’m considering switching, since my current rear tyre (Corsa Control) is painfully slow (at least feeling-wise) and to be honest I didn’t perceive any grip benefit vs GP5000..

Considering that everyone is raving about ride quality, my only concern is RR. How would those RR figures compare to a Corsa Control tyre, can I be confident that the Schwalbe will feel faster? I cannot stand the current feeling of being glued to the road while accelerating. Yeah, first world problems, I know.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

robeambro wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 am
I’m considering switching, since my current rear tyre (Corsa Control) is painfully slow (at least feeling-wise) and to be honest I didn’t perceive any grip benefit vs GP5000..

Considering that everyone is raving about ride quality, my only concern is RR. How would those RR figures compare to a Corsa Control tyre, can I be confident that the Schwalbe will feel faster? I cannot stand the current feeling of being glued to the road while accelerating. Yeah, first world problems, I know.

Yesterday I rode my Emonda with 202s and 30m Corsa Controls up a ~1% false flat in a very slight crosswind. I averaged 275W at 23mph. Later in that ride I also hit 52mph while strictly coasting down a 7% grade. They are not slow tires, especially if the road surface isn't perfect. A tire that "feels slow" is often pretty fast. Yes I would have been faster on my Madone + 5.6s + 25mm GP5Ks, but road season is over.

You mention you can't perceive an improvement in grip over GP5Ks, but then you say they feel glued to the road while accelerating. Odd.

By all accounts the Schwalbe Pro One TLE seems to be roughly equivalent to a Hutchinson Fusion 5 11Storm TLR or Mavic Yksion Pro UST. It's competent in every category. Which one I'd buy comes down to sale price.

e: Just checked MyWindsock to see if the crosswind gave me a speed boost. +14W net effect, which comes close to the numbers Bike Calculator spits out.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

kevinw

by kevinw

I wish Jarno would test the new hutchinson and Vittoria tyres - only previous generation data available for both.

I assume that the new hutchinson perfomance TLR tyres will be similar to the mavic tryes for rolling resistance but not sure what difference the addition of the protective layer would cause? Really interested in the new vittoria corsa G2 as well.

Shame that these schwalbe tyres aren't a little closer to the GP5K RR wise - would make choosing my next tyre easier.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kevinw wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:32 am

Shame that these schwalbe tyres aren't a little closer to the GP5K RR wise - would make choosing my next tyre easier.

Yeah, but even based on Schwalbe's own marketing we knew it was going to be nominally slower from the beginning. The TT version of the tire should be about GP5K TL level, but it's going to be one of those raceday-only deals. Anyway I'm not a TTer so RR is a lower priority to me than grip, comfort, endurance, ease of install and puncture protection, especially if it's just 1-2W per tire.

robeambro

by robeambro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:02 am
robeambro wrote:

Yesterday I rode my Emonda with 202s and 30m Corsa Controls up a ~1% false flat in a very slight crosswind. I averaged 275W at 23mph. Later in that ride I also hit 52mph while strictly coasting down a 7% grade. They are not slow tires, especially if the road surface isn't perfect. A tire that "feels slow" is often pretty fast. Yes I would have been faster on my Madone + 5.6s + 25mm GP5Ks, but road season is over.

You mention you can't perceive an improvement in grip over GP5Ks, but then you say they feel glued to the road while accelerating. Odd.

By all accounts the Schwalbe Pro One TLE seems to be roughly equivalent to a Hutchinson Fusion 5 11Storm TLR or Mavic Yksion Pro UST. It's competent in every category. Which one I'd buy comes down to sale price.

e: Just checked MyWindsock to see if the crosswind gave me a speed boost. +14W net effect, which comes close to the numbers Bike Calculator spits out.
Admittedly I rode in the Netherlands on pristine roads until now (also, no descents) so can’t quite judge grip too much, but will be in Scotland going forward so maybe my opinion will change.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

robeambro wrote:

I've ridden Corsa Control tubular, clincher and TLR now. Agreed they don't feel slow. Definitely prefer the feel of the Schwalbe though.

"Glued to the road while accelerating" seems like you've got some other crap going on. The Controls always felt surprisingly not sluggish to me. Can't say the same for the standard Corsa 2.0!

fizzaz

by fizzaz

I've raced the Controls in pissing rain at a gnarly crit at over 28 mph. Yeah, they aren't slow, especially considering what you get in return for a slight loss in speed over a pure race tire.

riochang

by riochang

*edit* reposted
Last edited by riochang on Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

1w faster then the old, but still ~2w slower then the 5000TL..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yeh, repost.... From a page ago.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

kevinw wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:32 am
I wish Jarno would test the new hutchinson and Vittoria tyres - only previous generation data available for both.

I assume that the new hutchinson perfomance TLR tyres will be similar to the mavic tryes for rolling resistance but not sure what difference the addition of the protective layer would cause? Really interested in the new vittoria corsa G2 as well.

The new Vittoria tyres have been tested.....