Hunt limitless VS Roval CL 50

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

otnemem

by otnemem

FWIW, Hunt's testing had those wheels besting or matching the world's best with 28mm tires.

jacobeh

by jacobeh

Campervan wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:29 am
Wookski wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:41 pm
Have Hunt’s rim designs changed since Hambini’s aero test where their 50mm design only tested 3W better than a mavic kysrium?
No Rovals on that report either. If Hunt 50's are so bad, why they they been on the podium on the tour de Britain last year?
You seriously think that wheels are making you win bike races?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Campervan

by Campervan

jacobeh wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:01 pm
Campervan wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:29 am
Wookski wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:41 pm
Have Hunt’s rim designs changed since Hambini’s aero test where their 50mm design only tested 3W better than a mavic kysrium?
No Rovals on that report either. If Hunt 50's are so bad, why they they been on the podium on the tour de Britain last year?
You seriously think that wheels are making you win bike races?
No, it's the rider, but I often see people quoting the report saying the hunts are rubbish. TBH, they is very little in the difference between most of the wheels at 30kph which is about 5%
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

hambini

by hambini

If anyone believes wind tunnel tests conducted in steady state are valid. You need to go outside and shoot yourself.

Wind is neither parallel nor is it at constant speed in the real world.

This has been pointed out and none of the wheel manufacturers that have bothered to give an answer - that should speak for itself.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

AJS914

by AJS914

Campervan wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:03 pm
TBH, they is very little in the difference between most of the wheels at 30kph which is about 5%
When people are paying thousands of dollars for wheels they want to know they are getting that last 5%, Otherwise, you could buy a nice set of $300 wheels.

pmprego

by pmprego

hambini wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:18 pm
If anyone believes wind tunnel tests conducted in steady state are valid. You need to go outside and shoot yourself.

This has been pointed out and none of the wheel manufacturers that have bothered to give an answer - that should speak for itself.
Thus my question in the first place. Should I then go for the lighter one? How much difference in drag am I getting if I ride in the middle of the pack? Assuming this "riding style" wouldn't the wheel weight be more important (as in the climbs I'll still have to push through regardless of air resistance)?

pmprego

by pmprego

hambini wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:18 pm

Thus my question in the first place. Should I then go for the lighter one? How much difference in drag am I getting if I ride in the middle of the pack? Assuming this "riding style" wouldn't the wheel weight be more important (as in the climbs I'll still have to push through regardless of air resistance)?

AJS914

by AJS914

The 65 gram difference you are talking about between two wheelsets is almost meaningless. Plug a 65 gram difference into any calculator and you are talking about saving one second on a hill.

You are way better off optimzing rolling resistance, aero, tire/rim aero, etc. And don't worry about drag when you are sitting in the pack. Aero wheels come into play when you are taking pulls, attacking off the front, negotiating a crosswind, or sprinting.

pmprego

by pmprego

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:37 pm
The 65 gram difference you are talking about between two wheelsets is almost meaningless. Plug a 65 gram difference into any calculator and you are talking about saving one second on a hill.

You are way better off optimzing rolling resistance, aero, tire/rim aero, etc. And don't worry about drag when you are sitting in the pack. Aero wheels come into play when you are taking pulls, attacking off the front, negotiating a crosswind, or sprinting.
Thanks!!

MediumSizedMonster

by MediumSizedMonster

Dannnnn wrote:Having recently got the Rovals, They are brilliant.

I went for the them becasue A. they match my specialized bike and B they have DT hubs.

My only gripe is that the freehub is silent. Whereas the hunts will have a redicloulously loud freehub.
Upgrade the star ratchet on the rear hub to the 54t version. If you like noise, you will be very happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

MediumSizedMonster wrote:

I went for the them becasue A. they match my specialized bike and B they have DT hubs.

My only gripe is that the freehub is silent. Whereas the hunts will have a redicloulously loud freehub.
Upgrade the star ratchet on the rear hub to the 54t version. If you like noise, you will be very happy.

I was planning on going up to the 36T first and see what it's like.
They've got a bit louder now they've good a few hundred miles on. Obviously they come with loads of grease in the ratchet

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

hlvd

by hlvd

Roval lifetime warranty changes things I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Campervan

by Campervan

Dannnnn wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:01 am
MediumSizedMonster wrote:

I was planning on going up to the 36T first and see what it's like.
They've got a bit louder now they've good a few hundred miles on. Obviously they come with loads of grease in the ratchet

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Is that on the 64's? Let me know if it's worth the upgrade?
The hunt's I also have are LOUD.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:54 pm
Campervan wrote:
TBH, they is very little in the difference between most of the wheels at 30kph which is about 5%
When people are paying thousands of dollars for wheels they want to know they are getting that last 5%, Otherwise, you could buy a nice set of $300 wheels.
There is NO way the different between carbon wheels will make you 5% faster. The difference between a shitty set of alloy wheels and carbon is probably closer to 1%

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

waltthizzney wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:18 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:54 pm
Campervan wrote:
There is NO way the different between carbon wheels will make you 5% faster. The difference between a shitty set of alloy wheels and carbon is probably closer to 1%
Unless you assume many youtube videos from people like GCN or CyclingWeekly are just lying to your face, there are videos out there showing how difference in wheels can have a 2kmh improvement for the same rider and power. That's way more than 1 or 5% actually.