Which inner tubes are best in terms of weight v durability?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prebsy

by prebsy

IvanZg wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:16 pm
Do tubolitos pack smaller then latex inner tubs?
definitely the pack size is insane.

Also for buying in the did 365cycles for $26 a peice

froze

by froze

I know this is a weight weenies forum, but you do have to use some logic, and logic told me that those lighter Tubolito tubes were trouble just waiting to happen, and now we know. So sometimes you have to have something a bit heavier to hold up for the long haul, or pay for the hassles of having the lightest thing possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

There are light options that are fine to use with zero troubles. Butyl, Latex, the Tubolito's.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

RTSM

by RTSM

jencvo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:23 pm
Where do you guys buy Tubolito's in the US? Amazon?
REI has them but at full price, I usually order mine through European webshops when I buy something..
Good luck!

RTSM

by RTSM

I have been using Tubolito S-Roads for about 6 months now and I had two flats, however one was a carpet tack and the other was construction staple, both went straight through my Conti 5k's so I don't blame the Tubolitos. The older Tubolitos, leaked at the valve stem. I found out on the first set I purchased, however this was easily fixed by running a small bead (screw in the stem about 1/2 the way first) of crazy glue gel, worked for me. One thing I like about the Tubolitos is that in my experience when they puncture they let air out slow, not like latex that pretty much explodes. In both of the above cases I the air came out slowly so I had time to react.
Yes they are expensive, but it you glue the stem properly and buy their patch kits they seem to last (so far) and the S-Road version has a great road feel and is light weight.
I'll keep using mine, I have two new spares and keeping the two repaired ones. I'll keep everyone posted over the next year to see if these deteriorate or if I experience any issues but so far, love them.

chupster98

by chupster98

Here's my experience with Tubolito's to date:

Bought 2 pcs, installed them overnight & both of them were low the next morning, 1 of them flat to the floor. Took them off the bike.....
Wrote to Tubolito reporting that both valve cores were leaking. Tubolito sent 2 new pieces & confirmed new ones will have glued valve cores.
While waiting for the 2 new ones, I tightened the cores & crazy glued the valve cores. They worked OK
(Note: 1 off the valve stems cracked when re-attaching the core, added more glue & it worked)
They feel great on the bike, actually they feel amazing . All good so far....

Received 2 replacement tubes, removed the old ones & install the new ones.
1 works OK, 2nd one looses pressure during the ride....Now I'm starting to get frustrated...
Check both valve cores, both of them are leaking.....Crazy Glue the cores & installed them back.
One of them goes flat over night.... Checked the valve again & the valve stem it's separating at the base.

Wrote to Tubolito again reporting the new issue, they send a 3rd replacement.
Try & glue the valve stem, nothing sticks to TPU ( Thermoplastic polyurethane).....
Realize that the Tubolito patch kit is actualy 3M VHB tape. Try & patch over the valve stem with a large section of tape , it slow leaks....
Will try & see if I can find a specialty 3m adhesive that works with TPU.

Tubolito's response has been exceptionally good, the product works great (when it works) & the ride feeling of lighter wheels is amazing.
Then I realized that I've spent more time fixing 5 Tubolito tubes since April, than the actual amount of flats I've experienced in the last 2 years.....

I just placed an order for 6 Conti Supersonics.....
2020 Giant Revolt Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2014 Santa Cruz 5010 CC

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I really like Maxxis Welterweight, just light enough, but tough enough for every day training at 80g without collar and cap. Lose air fairly slowly and good quality. The Maxxis flyweight might work better for some at 53g, at least I use them as a back-up tube. Welter-weights in the tires and a spare welterweight then an emergency flyweight for endurance rides. Butyl is my tube of choice, I need to keep things economical and simple.

Don't use latex, they lose air too quickly as sometimes I have nights out bikepacking or in a hotel. Tubeless have worked well for me, but I dislike the prices of the tires, being a high mileage rider.

Flasher

by Flasher

I've been using the Bontrager Race X Lite's for a few years now combined with Michelin Pro 4 Service Course tyres, year round on the UK roads and get maybe 1-2 punctures a year!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

zinedrei wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:15 am
RocketRacing wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:37 am
zinedrei wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:25 am
RocketRacing wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:20 am
My issue is one of reliability of the superlight version... especially related to rim brake generated heat.
is there a reliability issue for the superlight version?
if there is, is it only for those used bikes with rim brakes?
Who knows, but the s-tubo road (that performs close to latex, better at low pressures if you trust the data) is advised for disc brake only. Tubolito states: “.Specifically made for disc brakes (not suitable for rim brakes).” In my mind suggesting the product does not like heat.

The regular version is still pretty light, but vs latex, the inferior crr in the realm of 4-5w is just a no go if overally performance is your goal (and it is for me).

They would be great for instagram weight weenie bikes however, and make a solid spare. My spare is the lightest of all... my cellphone, as life limits my ability to go that far from home. And for the few rides i do requiring a spare, i take latex so when i swap, i can just leave it in until the next replacement. I am going to test some superlight challenge latex tubes however. But i suspect they will be another “too close to the sun” option.
if the description says "not suitable for rim brakes", then it's not a reliability issue at all.
it just means that it's not designed and made for rim brakes

same as a normal road bike that says "not suitable for jumps over 1 meter", it doesn't mean that there's a reliability issue or a disc brake specific rim and then used on a rim brake bike

it will be a reliability issue if there is significantly more punctures compared to other tube types when used according to manufacturers specifications
The issue is the heat. Simply put, it can be dangerous.
You should also know that all hollow carbon rims deflect as you apply brakes. This is not an issue with disc brakes
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:20 pm
You should also know that all hollow carbon rims deflect as you apply brakes. This is not an issue with disc brakes
your name suite very well to your answer.
If the wheel is on fire, i don't think any tube will survive.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:29 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:20 pm
your name suite very well to your answer.
If the wheel is on fire, i don't think any tube will survive.
Haha.... that's why i ride on rope
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

chupster98

by chupster98

Just received the Conti Supersonics.

Here’s how they compare to regular Conti Race & Tubolito’s.

All measured as 42mm stem & w. Valve cap

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Giant Revolt Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2014 Santa Cruz 5010 CC

rlanger

by rlanger

chupster98 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:54 pm
Just received the Conti Supersonics.

Here’s how they compare to regular Conti Race & Tubolito’s.

All measured as 42mm stem & w. Valve cap
I've been using Supersonics for the past year and have had only one flat, but that was more due to riding on a too worn tire than it was the fault of the tube.

For a 9g penalty over the Tubolitos, hassle-free use and about half the price, I'll take that everytime.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Many is using Tubolites (incl. me and couple of friends) without problems or hassle with newest glued valve cores. Installation is easier than latex. Meantime one user get all the bad ones. Maybe there is user error or pump head is causing it? Example it's possible to unscrew valve core with Lezyne style pump head if you screw it too tight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com