Aerofly bars Di2 Wiring

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Ferret99

by Ferret99

Hi,

I'm trying to work out how to wire some Aerofly II bars with Di2 with a bar end junction box. I've managed to get the Y piece to come out of one end of the bars for the junction box, and to come out of the lever port at the other. However this is with the wire briding outside of the bars across the stem between the two facing port holes. Is that correct, or should it be possible to fully internally wire it? If so, how did anyone manage that?

Thanks!

rlanger

by rlanger

Yeah, I'd love to know this too.

I have a bar on order, and I have to route the cable that runs between the shifters, under the stem on my current bar (alloy Deda Superzero).

But, I'd certainly prefer the cleaner look of internal routing for the Aerofly.

by Weenie

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Run a 1200mm wire from the BB to the bar and hide the EW-WU111 unit inside the bar for a clean look.Image

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

blehargh

by blehargh

You can run a wire thru the center of the bar. From the shifter to the bar end you'll have to run the wire on the outside of the bar under the bar wrap.

rlanger

by rlanger

blehargh wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:12 am
From the shifter to the bar end you'll have to run the wire on the outside of the bar under the bar wrap.
Really? You can't go internally from the bar-end? That kind of sucks.

I want my junction on the left side and there's no hole on that side.

blehargh

by blehargh

rlanger wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:41 am
blehargh wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:12 am
From the shifter to the bar end you'll have to run the wire on the outside of the bar under the bar wrap.
Really? You can't go internally from the bar-end? That kind of sucks.

I want my junction on the left side and there's no hole on that side.
I guess I'll say that is the "official" way to route the wires since there is a hole drilled on the right side for the bar end. But that probably means that the clamp area is filled in. I haven't tried to wire it thru the clamp area for what it's worth.

You can always drill your own hole on the left side. Obvi based on your own risk level there, but I hardly ever use the ends.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I run di2 cable from shifter to bar end junction internally on my Aerofly2.
di2 cable go into the bar behind shifter clamp, then it has to make a very hard turn in tight space into the bar curve. This can cause problem to some internal cabling guide tools which probably is why this is not an official way to route it. But once you can get the di2 cable into the curve, then it's a clear path to bar end. Nothing fill or blocking in the clamping area.
Last edited by Hexsense on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cerro

by cerro

Why drill when it's all internal?

The Y-cable with the shortest in one lever, the other cable going the same direction in the junction internally and then the 3rd end going the other way inside to the other lever. Take the cable from the stem/frame inside the handlebar where the brakecables go out and down to the junction. All internal and nice.
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)

rlanger

by rlanger

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:36 pm
I run di2 cable from shifter to bar end junction internally on my Aerofly2.
Ok, this is great to hear, thanks.
cerro wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:38 pm
The Y-cable with the shortest in one lever, the other cable going the same direction in the junction internally and then the 3rd end going the other way inside to the other lever. Take the cable from the stem/frame inside the handlebar where the brakecables go out and down to the junction. All internal and nice.
That's exactly how I intend to do it!

Now, I just have to wait a month to get the damn bar. :evil: :cry:

TheRich

by TheRich

cerro wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:38 pm
Why drill when it's all internal?

What's the lengths on that?

Until this thread I'd assumed the bar end junction had three ports...now I'm really confused as to why it doesn't.

rlanger

by rlanger

TheRich wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:18 am
What's the lengths on that?

Until this thread I'd assumed the bar end junction had three ports...now I'm really confused as to why it doesn't.
The bar end junction only has 2 ports, but I only use one currently, and my Y-cable doesn't actually connect to my bar-end junction.

I have a short cable running internally from the junction to the left shifter. Then the Y-cable runs from the left shifter to the right shifter, and the short end is connected to a longer cable via a Di2 wire-to-wire connector which is hidden inside the bars, which runs all the way down the frame to the 4-port junction in the BB.

I did this because I didn't choose my cables. They were included with the groupset that I bought second-hand, and this was the cleanest wiring solution at the time. Works perfectly fine though.

jmechy

by jmechy

I have aerofly 2 bars with the bar-end junction on the right side. I run one cable from that to the right shifter, one cable from the right shifter to the left shifter, and one cable from the left shifter out the bars and to the bottom bracket junction. No y-cable needed, and all cables inside the bar except for the one that connects the whole setup to the rest of the bike. Di2 doesn't really care what you plug into what, as long as it's all plugged in somewhere. Routing the cables wasn't super easy, but a piece of floss with small weight on it helped me get everything to where it needed to be without too much of a headache.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I ran a bar end junction and all wires internal on my Aerofly. Just using the weird y-wire inside the bars. Much easier to manage than my Pro Vibe bars that are MADE to run all internal - thanks to the larger openings on the bar near the stem.

by Weenie

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I hate to be that guy but take it to someone who knows what they're doing... It's really not that difficult especially with the pic I posted...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk