Help me pick a climbing bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wookski

by Wookski

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:53 am
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:05 am
jmfreeman535 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:27 pm
Ok...I'm starting to get a headache trying to work this all out...

I just heard back from a seller, and he is offering a brand new TCR SL frame and a lightly used DA di2 groupset for a very enticing price. BUT from what I've been able to find, 28c tries (more specifically, GP4000's) don't really work. I had to run 25c on my Orca, but I'm back to 28c on my R3 and definitely prefer them (handling wise).

So it looks like the TCR may be a no go...
Climbing bike with 28s... I'm sure you have a great reason for this but help me understand why the weight penalty of a 28mm for a climbing bike?
What spadntrxi said, for decending. At 40+ mph, confidence outweighs weight (that's why I prefer disks breaks, as well)...I'll gladly trade the extra weight for the added traction.
I doubt you’re finding anywhere near the limit of traction on a 23 let alone a 25. Unless you’re super heavy or riding Roubaix stick with 25’s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cveks

by cveks

Argon 18 Gallium Pro.

800g frameset

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Climbing bike: one with a lightweight rider aboard. Anything else, and you're wasting your money.

Wookski

by Wookski

NickJHP wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:09 am
Climbing bike: one with a lightweight rider aboard. Anything else, and you're wasting your money.
Why are you on this forum then?

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Wookski wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:13 pm
NickJHP wrote:
For amusement. Bike weight is only relevant for acceleration and very steep mountains. Aero is far more significant in all other situations. And if the climb is so steep that aero doesn't come into it, then my original statement above comes into effect.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

NickJHP wrote:
I do agree with this...to a point. Yes, losing another 5kg+ (which I'm working on) would be far more benifical than buying a new bike. But, I'm not looking to buy a climbing bike solely becuase I want something lighter. I'm looking to buy one, because I'm after a certain feel.

Will it make me any faster? Maybe, maybe not. Will it make climbing more enjoyable? That's the goal.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

cveks wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:18 am
Argon 18 Gallium Pro.

800g frameset
I did consider it, but the geometry doesn't work for me...and it's a little than I'd like to spend

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

With its head tube adjustment system, I would've thought the Gallium Pro would be easy to dial in a good fit compared to most other bikes. I found an European site selling the frame for €2500, you can get it for less if you buy from outside the EU.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dim

by dim

Trek Emonda SL6
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Kayrehn wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:50 am
With its head tube adjustment system, I would've thought the Gallium Pro would be easy to dial in a good fit compared to most other bikes. I found an European site selling the frame for €2500, you can get it for less if you buy from outside the EU.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
It's the reach that is too long...I have a very short torso/arms compared to my legs, so it kind of limits my options.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

NickJHP wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:41 pm

For amusement. Bike weight is only relevant for acceleration and very steep mountains. Aero is far more significant in all other situations. And if the climb is so steep etcpp
aha, ähm.... interesting..Image

dim

by dim

NickJHP wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:41 pm
Wookski wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:13 pm
NickJHP wrote:
For amusement. Bike weight is only relevant for acceleration and very steep mountains. Aero is far more significant in all other situations. And if the climb is so steep that aero doesn't come into it, then my original statement above comes into effect.
an aero bike ridden with your hands on the hoods defeats the whole purpose, so unless you ride in the drops, you might be better off with a lighter climbing bike IMHO
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

BmanX

by BmanX

an aero bike ridden with your hands on the hoods defeats the whole purpose, so unless you ride in the drops, you might be better off with a lighter climbing bike IMHO
WRONG! There have been several wind tunnel tests done that show riding with your hands on the hoods and arms parallel to the ground is more aero than having your hands in the drops.

You should always buy the most aero bike you can afford and make it as light as possible.

AERO and LIGHT is RIGHT!
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

reedplayer

by reedplayer

aha, and especially on long, fast downhills in the mountain area, lets say the alpes, under windy conditions, you will "love" your aero bike.

"From hors categorie climbs to cut-throat classics, this is the choice for top pros like CCC Team leader Greg Van Avermaet who need one machine to do it all"

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes ... ed-sl-2020

exceptionally i quote marketing. from "giant" promoting the TCR Advanced SL 2020. and they are right. this, fo example, is an appropriate bike for the mountains.

aero embellishment wont help in the slightest in this area, on the contrary.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I don't know about the rest of you, but descending my long climbs, aero is of no consideration to me. My non-aero bike goes down the grades plenty fast enough!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com