Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

slashy

by slashy

good catch. indeed the synapse is using the SAVE bar (like on the Supersix) and the systemsix is delivered with the KNOT bar. I've seen KNOT bars available aftermarket, SAVE bars not yet, but probably possible via your shop.
indeed looks like a much nicer stem, but won't hide the cables. I guess at that point you are as good off (or better) with a regular bar and stem of choice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

slashy wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:52 pm
good catch. indeed the synapse is using the SAVE bar (like on the Supersix) and the systemsix is delivered with the KNOT bar. I've seen KNOT bars available aftermarket, SAVE bars not yet, but probably possible via your shop.
indeed looks like a much nicer stem, but won't hide the cables. I guess at that point you are as good off (or better) with a regular bar and stem of choice.
Wait, don't the new SAVE bars (for the EVO3) and the KNOT bars (for the SystemSix) hide the cables the same way?
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

refthimos wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:41 pm
slashy wrote:
Wait, don't the new SAVE bars (for the EVO3) and the KNOT bars (for the SystemSix) hide the cables the same way?
Yes the bars do and the SuperSix and SystemSix have the same integrated KNØT stems (only difference is they speced a -6° on the Evo, -17° on the SystemSix). The Synapse eTAP AXS has the same SAVE bars as the SuperSix Evo but a different stem without the cables/hose/wires cover underneath and a less slick shaped steerer clamp, basically a stem without cable integration and made to be used with normal headset covers/spacers on any bike. KNØT stems hide cables, SAVE stem doesn't but both bars have internal cbale routing.

SuperSix Evo's KNØT stem and SAVE bars:

Synapse's SAVE stem and SAVE bars:

S6ED

by S6ED

Dan Gerous wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:08 pm
refthimos wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:41 pm
slashy wrote:
Yes the bars do and the SuperSix and SystemSix have the same integrated KNØT stems (only difference is they speced a -6° on the Evo, -17° on the SystemSix). The Synapse eTAP AXS has the same SAVE bars as the SuperSix Evo but a different stem without the cables/hose/wires cover underneath and a less slick shaped steerer clamp, basically a stem without cable integration and made to be used with normal headset covers/spacers on any bike. KNØT stems hide cables, SAVE stem doesn't but both bars have internal cbale routing.

SuperSix Evo's KNØT stem and SAVE bars:

I wish they'd sell a SuperSix frameset in this silky plain black colour!

S6ED

by S6ED

I'm pretty sure Simon Clarke is on a 54 (and not 51) size bike in this photo, which is strange given that he's 175cm.

Lawson Craddock, on the other hand, rides a 51 and he's 178cm.
Attachments
Clarke EF squad.jpg
S6E Craddock 2.jpg
S6E Craddock.jpg

hernejj

by hernejj

I'm pondering buying the 105 SS Evo and upgrading it to a Shimano Ultegra crankset with 4iiii powermeter. Since the SS frame uses PF30a (right??) which is 73mm by 46mm, that means I'll either need an adpater:
https://wheelsmfg.com/products/bb-crank ... ranks.html

Or I'll need a new bottom bracket:
https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/c ... black.html

The bracket adds 50g of weight. Not a ton, but I'm going out of my way (and spending some good cash) to reduce weight on this build. So I hate to add the weight if I can do without it. Does anyone know if the 158g wheels PF30 Shimano BB is lighter than the stock Cannondale BB + 50g adapter?

While we're at it, does anyone have any advice on either one of these options? Things to watch out for? Pros/cons? :) Other BB's or adapters to consider? Am I even doing this right?? I'm not new to wrenching but I'm no where close to a pro either. Thanks! :-)

bet1216

by bet1216

hernejj wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:45 am
I'm pondering buying the 105 SS Evo and upgrading it to a Shimano Ultegra crankset with 4iiii powermeter. Since the SS frame uses PF30a (right??) which is 73mm by 46mm, that means I'll either need an adpater:
https://wheelsmfg.com/products/bb-crank ... ranks.html

Or I'll need a new bottom bracket:
https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/c ... black.html

The bracket adds 50g of weight. Not a ton, but I'm going out of my way (and spending some good cash) to reduce weight on this build. So I hate to add the weight if I can do without it. Does anyone know if the 158g wheels PF30 Shimano BB is lighter than the stock Cannondale BB + 50g adapter?

While we're at it, does anyone have any advice on either one of these options? Things to watch out for? Pros/cons? :) Other BB's or adapters to consider? Am I even doing this right?? I'm not new to wrenching but I'm no where close to a pro either. Thanks! :-)
Why not a used Hollowgram set up that is native to the bb30 with a stages PM? You can find decent deals on the hollowgrams on ebay. The hollowgram bb30 set up will be lighter than that Ultegra and it won't require any adaptor.

hernejj

by hernejj

bet1216 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:53 am
Why not a used Hollowgram set up that is native to the bb30 with a stages PM? You can find decent deals on the hollowgrams on ebay. The hollowgram bb30 set up will be lighter than that Ultegra and it won't require any adaptor.
Stages seems to only support Shimano for their dual sided power (a must for me). Also, a quick e-bay search shows no 50/34 options for hollowgram chainsets. Not sure if I can change the rings or not.

nooski

by nooski

Hollowgram cranks are modular with direct mount ring so you can use them on road bike, mtb or even fat bike. There are spiders for 130 (QC694), 110 BCD (QC693) 5 arm chainrings and 4 arm spider 120/90 BCD (K22118) as well as direct mount spiderings. 2 different versions are available: 10 arm (lighter) 8 arm (heavier and cheaper). For 10 arm version there are this combinations: 53/39 (KP244), 52/36 (CU4042SI52) and 50/34 (KP245). For 8 arm version the combinations are: 52/36 (KP408), 50/34 (KP407) and new 46/30 (CP2319U10OS)
Dum spiro spero
my bike: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130302

slashy

by slashy

S6ED wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:03 pm
I'm pretty sure Simon Clarke is on a 54 (and not 51) size bike in this photo, which is strange given that he's 175cm.

Lawson Craddock, on the other hand, rides a 51 and he's 178cm.
agreed. it is strange. all the more since he was on a 52cm SS evo 2 before. Michael woods on a 51 too I think (around the same height).
Clarke has short(er) legs. his saddle height is 71.5-72 if I remember correctly. (you can guess i'm the same height, but 73.5 saddle height for me, I also did some research on this :-) ).
I think it showcases if you are around this size you can go both ways. I think the inseam length, wingspan and your flexibility will be determining here. (seems you are very flexible given the drop you have on your 54).

PS to give you a bigger headache : I think both Craddock and Clarke are on a 54 systemsix (when they ride that bike).

slashy

by slashy

also have a look at Bettiol's setup (he is 180cm) . maybe also interesting to you.
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26368 ... nging-tour

what I also see is that Uran used to be on a 50 SS2 and now is on a 51 SS3 (seems he also upsized like Clarke).

Discodan

by Discodan

On the Crankset discussion, can anyone confirm that the cannondale 1 Crankset on the 105 model is compatible with a spider ring? The lbs I've ordered the bike from tells me it is but wanted to confirm, if so I think I'll go this path rather that the kforce light Crankset I have as I can get some 8 arm spider rings at a good price

Cheers,d

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slashy

by slashy

I did not actually try it , I can tell you the lock ring is identical . I'm 99% sure it works. the imprint on the crank also seems identical.

S6ED

by S6ED

slashy wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:24 am
also have a look at Bettiol's setup (he is 180cm) . maybe also interesting to you.
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26368 ... nging-tour

what I also see is that Uran used to be on a 50 SS2 and now is on a 51 SS3 (seems he also upsized like Clarke).
Frame sizing can be mind bogling if you fall between sizes :shock:

Here's what BMC recommend for their similarly designed Teammachine bike:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 16.32.12.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nooski

by nooski

Ring are fully compatible. There are a few photos where you can see spidering on cheapest cranksets.
Dum spiro spero
my bike: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130302