Retul or similar bike fit before purchase?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

I know their are 2 sides to this debate....just trying to figure out if I should spend $200-300USD on a fit BEFORE buying a Pinarello F10 frame or just compare it to my current bike?

How much of a 'help' or accurate would a bike fit using Retul be for sizing up a frame?

From what I read, I tell the fitter I want a F10 rim size 51.5,
he types it into the computer and the whole rig resets itself to simulate a F10, top tube, reach , stack, seat tube angle, headtube angle, headtube length, stem length, stem angle, # of spacers, etc etc etc?? then I ride it for 10-20mins???
then from his experience, he may say, try a 50 F10...resets....rinse repeat
then try 53 F10.....rinse repeat

Current bike, Colnago C60 size 48S.
2cm spacer
90mm stem, 8deg down.
70cm saddle height, inseam 77cm...if I remember right.
172cm taller

The closest size I can see is a F10 51.5 where the Reach is 3mm shorter, Stack is 1mm shorter but saddle position according to the seat tube angle is 9mm further back.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Definitely worth getting a fit first, I think you would really want to make sure the bike will work for you before you drop that sort of money on it.

Find a fitter that uses a jig, rather than fits on a bike. This way the focus is on the position of the contact points. They can then work out how these positions transfer to the frame.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

i think you got it opposite, he will give you the optimal reach and stack measurements, then you need to match it with a frame

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

The fitter I have used has access to a library of frame geometry and uses this to advise how the position on the jig transfers (e.g stem length and spacers) to a range of bikes you either have or are considering.

A friend of mine is currently working with her on the prospective purchase of a new bike and post fit she has given him a spreadsheet with combo of stem/spacers etc would be needed to achieve the same bar position on three or four frames he has shortlisted.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Retul and other fitting protocols are only as good as the human following them. Make sure you don’t just get a Retul fit at a random LBS. They will likely have put one of their employees through the bare minimum amount of training.

Ask your riding pals, look for online reviews...ask local racers who they use.

Boshk

by Boshk

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:44 am
Retul and other fitting protocols are only as good as the human following them. Make sure you don’t just get a Retul fit at a random LBS. They will likely have put one of their employees through the bare minimum amount of training.

Thanks, will do.

Actually, that is one of the fears I get when thinking about a bike fit, the model they base the fit on and the limited time available, whether it is on the actual bike or a Retul rig.
(had 2 previous fits, 1 was good, 1 was bad...during fit, riding for 10mins, position was good but on actual rides outdoors, gave me knee pains, tried to stick with it but in the end, I reset everything to default)

fitting an elite 20yr old racer vs me (40+ who rides 2-3 times a week) is very different.
Last edited by Boshk on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

zinedrei

by zinedrei

Boshk wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:13 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:

Actually, that is one of the fears I get when thinking about a bike fit and the limited time available, whether it is on the actual bike or a Retul rig.
(had 2 previous fits, 1 was bad...during fit, riding for 10mins, position was good but on actual rides outdoors, gave me knee pains, tried to stick with it but in the end, I reset everything to default)

I mean fitting an elite 20yr old racer same height and inseam as me who competes vs me (40+ who rides 2-3 times a week) is very different.
i am on a similar boat. i got the bike built according to the fit results but i feel numbness on the groin (maybe due to saddle) and arm wrist pain.

i have scheduled a fit with another fitter and hopefully i can get better results.
holding off the saddle purchase until then since the 2nd one i will go to has pressure mapping which can at least help ease the numbness.

also, it's not just on the jig itself. the first one i went to didn't even measure my legs to see if there is length discrepancy.
or perhaps i am just blinded by social media and youtube videos which made me expect more from my fit.
although i really liked bikefit james from francis cade's channel :D

DaveS

by DaveS

Comparing stack and reach should tell the story. If the same bars, stem and saddle are used, all that's needed to match the saddle position is a measurement from the saddle tip to the bars. Saddle setback can also be measured roughly, with a plumb bob. Getting the brake hoods in the exact same position is always a bit of a challenge.

silvalis

by silvalis

zinedrei wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:21 am
also, it's not just on the jig itself. the first one i went to didn't even measure my legs to see if there is length discrepancy.
or perhaps i am just blinded by social media and youtube videos which made me expect more from my fit.
although i really liked bikefit james from francis cade's channel :D
You probably have been watching too many videos and thinking about LLD too much. The real question is, if LLD isn't showing up as torso imbalance, hip rocking, pressure imbalance, knee pain (not caused by something else), etc, then should the fitter compensate for it?
Chasse patate

zinedrei

by zinedrei

silvalis wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:10 am
You probably have been watching too many videos and thinking about LLD too much. The real question is, if LLD isn't showing up as torso imbalance, hip rocking, pressure imbalance, knee pain (not caused by something else), etc, then should the fitter compensate for it?
my point is that the fit experience would've been better if this was checked by my fitter.
hip rocking - highly probable that this wasn't checked also since he kept on looking from drive side view only. no rear view and no dots/sensors placed on the hip

no pressure mapping as well.

here's where watching fit videos come in. if i didn't watch those vids, then i wouldn't even know that leg length is to be checked from BOTH sides nor would i know that a tool for pressure mapping exists

silvalis

by silvalis

You mean, while you were on the bike the fitter never walked around behind you?
Yeah... i'd find a new fitter.
Chasse patate

zinedrei

by zinedrei

silvalis wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:44 am
You mean, while you were on the bike the fitter never walked around behind you?
Yeah... i'd find a new fitter.
unfortunately, no space for him to walk behind me since the jig is very near the wall.
since i have seen on some vids wherein sensors are placed on the hips and a software shows/captures the movement whilst pedalling, i believe the fit i had has some lacking points which i hope to get from the next one i booked a schedule with

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

How about fit? None of you guys changing back/ forth during off season (riding trainer or very seldom outside) to "in fit" riding often and perhaps, more in line with small changes (lowered handlebar). How about riding with different shoes (stack height).

Personally, i prefer my saddle further forward outdoor. No matter how great i feel on a trainer, it's just not same if i ride outside.
I think i use my core much more aswell as the wind helps (pushes upper body up), like when you ride a motorcycle but to a lesser degree.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Found this bike fitter browsing YouTube today and thought it was good as he is not relying completly on lazers and equipment. If you have not seen it I think its a good watch.

https://youtu.be/ewQ3FI_u5nY
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

g32ecs

by g32ecs

TobinHatesYou wrote:

This.

I got 3 fits: 1 Retul, 1 from my coach, 1 Guru just right after they got bought out

The Retul experience was good. It was from a bespoke bike shop here in Toronto. I think it put me in a good position despite having a bike 1 size too big. I was a relatively new rider back then hence the wrong bike size

Guru fit was from a shop sponsor where they just had someone do the education. It was so by the book but also they said I could do an agressive fit (this was my racing days). I thought it was crazy that the recommendation was to slam my seat forward and go with a 120mm stem (too extreme for my taste, I was fine racing with my current set up back then. It was complimentary)

My coach put me on a jig and eyeballed everything and rode with me to see if his adjustments were good. Honestly, nothing beats a set of eyes and a small ride to see where you're at. That's my issue with these fitting programs like Retul/Guru/etc. I find that they're good recommendations since it's a ball park, but to finish off the job the fitter really needs to see you in action - flat, climbing, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com