2020 Schwalbe Pro One

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
refthimos

by refthimos

I really wish there were some 3rd party rolling resistance data for these. It seems like BRR and others take a long time from when a tire is available to when data is presented. I get it, the data are free so maybe we get what we pay for, but I would be happy for a Friction Facts type model where testing of new "contender" tires (GP5000, Pro one TLE, Corsa variants, etc) was done right at release for a fee of $2.99 or something like that per report. Sure the data would get out, but I would be happy to fund testing if it meant we could get timely data.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Imaking20 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:48 pm
Yes.

I thought the first Pro Ones sucked (in terms of ride quality and grip). Which makes me even more surprised by the new ones. They definitely don't feel "supple" in the hand, but ride has been killer. Not far off the comfort of the 28mm cotton tires and latex I just took off - and handling is excellent.
That's good to know. Let's see how they hold up in the longer term now, by then I'll have worn out my current stock of tires. :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Perhaps Jarno from BRR should have a donations page where people could pledge a small amount towards him buying the latest tyres.
However, I suspect it is probably a time limitation as well - doubt that website is his full time job.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Orlok wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:38 am
TLR or latex?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
TLR AND Latex.!
You knew what I meant lol

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Imaking20

by Imaking20

First puncture on these today. Took a bit longer to seal than I would have expected (probably lost 3x as much sealant is it would typically take me to seal a tubular) but it eventually sealed and I went about my merry way for another 50 miles (even snagged a KOM from Travis McCabe!)

Using orange seal because it's what I had (and it's awesome). Also where I got these tires didn't have the recommend Schwalbe blue stuff.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Imaking20 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:10 pm
First puncture on these today. Took a bit longer to seal than I would have expected (probably lost 3x as much sealant is it would typically take me to seal a tubular) but it eventually sealed and I went about my merry way for another 50 miles (even snagged a KOM from Travis McCabe!)

Using orange seal because it's what I had (and it's awesome). Also where I got these tires didn't have the recommend Schwalbe blue stuff.
Would be great to hear what caused the puncture?

Also, how does the tread look after riding? Do you see cuts to the tread from chipped stone?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'd also love to know what caused the puncture :)

With a couple hundred miles on them so far (including a fair bit of roadside debris and some jaunts on gravel) there are no cuts at all. In fact, there are still little bits of rubber from the moulds (at the seems, don't know what to call them) that haven't worn off.

I'm planning to rotate the tires after 1k miles. Coincidentally, that's what I was thinking about on Saturday right before getting sprayed with sealant.
Last edited by Imaking20 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Doc Blue is just Stan’s...

Sjazzzzy

by Sjazzzzy

I swapped from the previous generation of pro ones to these new ones for a long ride over the weekend. It was a new route but within the first mile I could tell they are much more "supple" than the previous generation. They also mounted much easier than the old ones. I mounted the first tire with a booster pump but the second I used just a regular floor pump. I was able to seat the bead no problem. Only issue I ran in to is that near the end of the ride I lost a lot of air. When I stopped to find the puncture/leak, all I could find was a small pin hole on the sidewall with a little bit of sealant bubbling out. I suspect my stash of 5 year old stans needs to be replaced or I need to put more than an ounce of sealant in per tire. I pumped up the tire with my frame pump and it's been holding air since. I'd definitely recommend these.

robeambro

by robeambro

We need an enthusiastic user of GP5KTL/New Spesh TLR to try these out and draw a comparison. And of course, we also need BRR to give us figures. Possibly, all this before I will need to replace my rear tyre..

AnkitS

by AnkitS

robeambro wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:46 am
We need an enthusiastic user of GP5KTL/New Spesh TLR to try these out and draw a comparison. And of course, we also need BRR to give us figures. Possibly, all this before I will need to replace my rear tyre..
No pro ones yet but I have ridden the spec rapid-airs for 400mi or so.
They ride like a mix between turbo cottons and the non rapid-air tubeless turbos.
I mounted the gp5000s but decided that the weight and difficulty to take them on and off wasn't even worth riding them.

My experience with the outgoing pro one tubeless was short-lived with a sidewall gash (glass or metal shard i think?). If I was paying full retail for rapid-airs, I would prefer fusion 5 performances.

robeambro

by robeambro

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:28 am
robeambro wrote:
No pro ones yet but I have ridden the spec rapid-airs for 400mi or so.
They ride like a mix between turbo cottons and the non rapid-air tubeless turbos.
I mounted the gp5000s but decided that the weight and difficulty to take them on and off wasn't even worth riding them.

My experience with the outgoing pro one tubeless was short-lived with a sidewall gash (glass or metal shard i think?). If I was paying full retail for rapid-airs, I would prefer fusion 5 performances.
Nooo you should have ridden the GP's! :lol:

I mean, the 50g (?) weight penalty shouldn't be a factor. In no way, shape or form would that be even remotely important when compared to rolling resistance benefits. When picking a tyre, IMO it should all be about RR + Grip + Puncture Resistance.
But I understand the difficulty about taking them on and off can be a turn off.

If the Rapid-Air's aren't such a formidable tyre (otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned that at full retail you'd rather go for the Hutchinsons), then the only hope for a king tyre is these new Pro One..
Last edited by robeambro on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

Will they come in different color options like other Schwalbe tires have in the past?

If so i'd pick them over the GP5000s anyday :D

kevinw

by kevinw

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:28 am
Worth mentioning that the GP5Ks do stretch over time so removal and re-fitting "on the road" was not an issue for me even after a nightmare fitting them originally.

Both my GP5K tyres dies within 1000km though - one with a massive gash and the other the sidewall went. Currently running fusion performance until something comes along definitely better or enough GP5ks are sold that I can be sure mine were a bad batch.

These new pro ones look great though - not going to rush into anything this time though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

robeambro wrote:
LOL. I went from the old newest Pro Ones regular to the 5000GP TL, both in 28. I felt the pro ones had more feel at the limit but am getting used to the 5000GP TL with 900miles on them. over all they are a great tire. I too am interested in trying out the new offerings from Specialized and Schwalble. I don't think either one will roll better though.
I’m willing to give up some RR for grip.
Ride fast Take chances