2017 Ridley Helium SLA

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
djnzt48

by djnzt48

Hi everyone.

I'm interested in getting a Ridley Helium SLA (in black/red/white) in the next couple of days but can't seem to find any review on this except for 1 site.

I will be swapping all my parts (105 R7000, new wheels coming soon) from my Spesh Allez 2018 (not Sprint) to this frameset. Reason for getting this frameset is because the Allez is too "relaxed" for me and I'll be starting racing crits next year and needed something fast & nimble. This frameset is currently on clearance sale at my LBS and it fits my budget.

If you've ridden one, please let me know; what do you think about it? What other model/bike would you compare it to?
If you own one, please share with me some pics. What's the weight of your bike?
Is this frameset better than my Allez for crit racing purpose?

Thank you in advance!
Specialized Allez Sprint 2020

by Weenie

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Are you sure that you couldn't make the Allez work better by slmming the front end and running a -17 stem and maybe narrower bars? The bikes are fairly comparable, except with less stack on the Ridley. The Ridley is a good frameset as it has race DNA and easy to live with seat post size and threaded BB. If you are thinking about crit racing wouldn't you prefer an Allez Sprint and save up a bit longer?

I doubt you'll notice a massive difference, but take my advice with a pinch of salt as I haven't ridden either bike.

djnzt48

by djnzt48

Thanks for the reply @Lewn777

My Allez is already on a -17 degree stem with 38cm bars. But my saddle to bar drop is only 5cm. Plus I think it looks weird showing up to a crit on an endurance bike -_-

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

I have the Helium SLA 2019 version, but I guess it's just a different color from the older version.

In short I am really happy with this bike. It is quite stiff, very nimble and a blast to ride. Size M built with Ultegra and Dura Ace mix, Zipp cockpit and Caden carbon clinchers weigh 6,9kg.

I had the Allez E5 dsw before and rate the Ridley higher in terms of weight, stiffnes and snappiness in the steering and sprinting. I also have a Ridley Fenix sl frame with almost identical components. The Fenix is better at shock absorbtion but less so than you would think. IMO Ridley has really made a great frame, which just happens to be aluminium frame and easily rivals many carbon frames.

For your intended purpose I think they SLA will be great and given the purchase price probably cause less grief should you ever crash it. It doesn't have any particular aero qualities, but it will be snappy, fast and fun to ride. The standard BSA bb is easy to work with and Ridley has no proprietary parts or dimensions.

Also it just looks great :D
Attachments
DSC_0141.JPG

djnzt48

by djnzt48

Thank you for your feedback @happyon2wheels. That's a good looking bike!

I checked out the frameset I wanted to buy earlier today and found some scratches on the downtube. I guess its been in the store's floor for awhile now. I guess "Project Helium SLA" has to be scrapped. What a bummer.

kevinw

by kevinw

djnzt48 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:14 am

I checked out the frameset I wanted to buy earlier today and found some scratches on the downtube. I guess its been in the store's floor for awhile now. I guess "Project Helium SLA" has to be scrapped. What a bummer.
What size was it? And where is it? I'll buy it :-)

djnzt48

by djnzt48

kevinw wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:09 pm
djnzt48 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:14 am

What size was it? And where is it? I'll buy it :-)
LOL its in Malaysia buddy. Not sure if you're from around here.

kevinw

by kevinw

djnzt48 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:56 am
LOL its in Malaysia buddy. Not sure if you're from around here.
Couldnt be much further away from me in the UK.

by Weenie