Narrow fit Shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

welchy

by welchy

Struggling to find something that fits as well as my Sub 6 shoes. I’ve tried the Sub 7 but I’m just fed up of buying outrageous Spesh shoes which last zero time.

My current lineup is:
Fizik R1B 46 - touch too big and wide
Sub 6 - 46 perfect
Sidi Wires - 46 good but will go 45.5
Bont Vaypor - 46 - too wide (could try narrow fit)

Anybody else got a good narrow shoe, was thinking lakes but can’t find anybody that stocks them round here.
Attachments
52CBCA19-81DB-4ABA-9D82-4A54EC0891A9.jpeg
DF4711C0-FD62-4EB1-BF91-291ED8CADD5A.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Any Giro. Empire, Imperial, Factor Techlace. Fit and finish is not on par with fi'zi:k, Sidi or Bont. Roughly on par with Specialized.

My Bontrager XXX seem to fit my low-volume feet pretty well, but I use a medium thick footbed in all my shoes.

welchy

by welchy

I tried giro empire and the toe box bunched up too much which I was surprised at. Think like yourself I’ve got low volume feet..

velov

by velov

Definitely not Lake, they're the exact opposite of what you're looking for...

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Narrow Toe box and low volume instep.................Sidi Wire and above, Gaerne G-Stilo.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Karvalo

by Karvalo

velov wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:38 am
Definitely not Lake, they're the exact opposite of what you're looking for...
Lake are very well known for their wide fit options but they make standard/narrow shoes too. The normal CX332 or CX402 are worth trying.

Suplest are a good narrower fit. Traditionally Mavic (the old Zxellium line were fantastic) but I think their new Cosmic SL shoe has moved to a slightly wider last.

hlvd

by hlvd

Bontrager shoes are good for my narrow feet, they're a bit smaller in size though, I usually take a 46 but too short in length, 47 fits perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Gaerne G.Stilo+ indeed have a very low volume fit. Almost too low volume in the toebox for my liking. Instep is good. Ankle is a bit weird. I had to cinch down the top Boa dial on my G.Stilo+ quite bit.

As for the bunching described in Giro shoes...that's more a function of how lightweight they are. My Prolights and Imperials bunch up. My Factor Techlace has a stiffer upper and doesn't bunch up. My Bontrager XXX gets a little wavy around the balls of my feet, but doesn't bunch up around the middle of the toebox. The G.Stilos bunch slightly even though they are a pretty heavyweight shoe.

The Bontrager XXX is my goto shoe right now for max comfort. I've relegated my Prolight Techlaces to indoor trainer use. Imperials for the hottest race days.

The next shoe I try will probably be those prismatic Supacaz shoes...hopefully they forgo the Specialized Body Geometry ankle/heel pad.

kevinw

by kevinw

I have narrow feet and shimano are a perfect fit for me. Currently on shimano RC7s but other previous shimano shoes had the same fit.

welchy

by welchy

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:15 am
Gaerne G.Stilo+ indeed have a very low volume fit. Almost too low volume in the toebox for my liking. Instep is good. Ankle is a bit weird. I had to cinch down the top Boa dial on my G.Stilo+ quite bit.

As for the bunching described in Giro shoes...that's more a function of how lightweight they are. My Prolights and Imperials bunch up. My Factor Techlace has a stiffer upper and doesn't bunch up. My Bontrager XXX gets a little wavy around the balls of my feet, but doesn't bunch up around the middle of the toebox. The G.Stilos bunch slightly even though they are a pretty heavyweight shoe.

The Bontrager XXX is my goto shoe right now for max comfort. I've relegated my Prolight Techlaces to indoor trainer use. Imperials for the hottest race days.

The next shoe I try will probably be those prismatic Supacaz shoes...hopefully they forgo the Specialized Body Geometry ankle/heel pad.
This is useful feedback. I seem to get bunching on most, the S Works have been surprisingly good but I think maybe I need to supplment with a medium volume footbed. Been reluctanct to use footbeds in the past due to adding stack and altering alignment. I put the Sidi's on again last night and was pleasantly surprised at how comfy they are, just a touch too roomy. I may go for 45.5 rather than 46 next time.

I have looked at the Lake in narrower fits, but again bit expensive to then get wrong. Suplest shoes look great but hard to find - think Sigma in the UK do them. I loved the Empires for aesthetics but felt the durability wasn't too good. I think I'd be willing to sacrfice say 30/40gs per shoe for added durability. I think Sidi have it right here!

Thanks for all the feedback so far :)

welchy

by welchy

kevinw wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:30 am
I have narrow feet and shimano are a perfect fit for me. Currently on shimano RC7s but other previous shimano shoes had the same fit.
I'm sure you're right but banging on Shimano shoes with a italian campy setup just messes with my head, stupid I know as they would probably be a superb contendor!!! :noidea:

kevinw

by kevinw

welchy wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:15 am
I'm sure you're right but banging on Shimano shoes with a italian campy setup just messes with my head, stupid I know as they would probably be a superb contendor!!! :noidea:
ha no worries - I would point out that the logos on shimano shoes tend to be very subtle though. I would have thought that as long as you don't get a "shimano-blue" pair the velominatti would be fine?

I am at the complete other end of the spectrum to you... my bike has campy wheels with shimano groupset and rotor cranks so didn't give much thought to brand of shoes :D

PaulJ

by PaulJ

I have narrow feet, been using Mavic Cosmic Pro shoes for the last couple of years now and love them, never given me any reason to look for alternatives.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

When I tried the Suplest Edge 3 Pros, the ankle opening / tongue (wrap style) really bothered me. Same with fi’zi:k R1 and the shortlived DMT RS1. Frankly I was surprised the Bontrager XXX worked for me since it also has a wrapped tongue.

sooni

by sooni

welchy wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:15 am
kevinw wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:30 am
Don't worry, Shimano are not particularly narrow anyway.

Fizik were too narrow for me so I went Shimano rc7 and it worked out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com