icantaffordcycling's 1x Allez Sprint

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

AnkitS

by AnkitS

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:15 pm
I am by no means suggesting racing on 19's, but with 30's, you've gone way too far in the other direction. I've done my fair share of racing, but for sure, I'm always learning and observing, paying attention to what the fastest people do and I've never seen anyone fast on 30's. Comfortable, yes... but fastest, no.
I could site a podium picture with the caption "30c tires were the right choice" or link 4 road races on the calendar with unpaved/gravel sections. You don't cite numbers or facts, just that 25mm tires feel fast and are the current choice of racers. I will be choosing 28c tires for most crits and road races with 30c tires for some races next year, as I said before, you don't know the roads I race on.

They are the fastest option for certain races, you are welcome to disagree but you would be wrong.

Edit: Grammar for dudemanppl
Edit 2: Spelling for tonytourist
Last edited by AnkitS on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

CAR would still win

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

*cite

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Grammar* :smartass:

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I give up. You two deserve each other. :roll:

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:24 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:15 pm
I am by no means suggesting racing on 19's, but with 30's, you've gone way too far in the other direction. I've done my fair share of racing, but for sure, I'm always learning and observing, paying attention to what the fastest people do and I've never seen anyone fast on 30's. Comfortable, yes... but fastest, no.
I could site a podium picture with the caption "30c tires were the right choice" or link 4 road races on the calendar with unpaved/gravel sections. You don't cite numbers or facts, just that 25mm tires feel fast and are the current choice of racers. I will be choosing 28c tires for most crits and road races with 30c tires for some races next year, as I said before, you don't know the roads I race on.

They are the fastest option for certain races, you are welcome to disagree but you would be wrong.

Edit: Grammar for dudemanppl
Edit 2: Spelling for tonytourist
I'm not saying bigger tires are never the answer.. sometimes they are. When I raced Battenkill I stuffed 27c Vittoria Open Paves onto my bike and would have gone bigger if I thought they'd safely fit. There are definitely some races that those 28's or 30's are the right choice, but in my experience, those races are infrequent. There's some information that says that larger tires are beneficial for decreased rolling resistance, which in theory equals more speed, but my research shows that those gains are most often offset by decreases in aerodynamic efficiency because of the wider tire and the interaction between the tire and rim width. If you tire is wider than your rim, resulting in a light bulb cross section, then you're giving up a fair bit in aero. The optimum tire/wheels width is usually one where the width of the wheels is 105% of your tire width... If you want to run 28's then optimally, you should be running a wheel that is 29.4mm in width. More often than not, the slight increase of rolling resistance from a smaller tire can be offset by better, more supple tires. The tires you're talking about using, though are all pretty good for racing purposes. If you're looking for specifics, check out the podcast from Josh Portner of Silca (former aero engineer with Zipp), I beleive he's the one that developed the 105% rule. If not, he's the first one that I heard mention it. You can also check out Hambini's latest video on aero. The other thing to be aware of is that bigger tires weigh more and they can be more difficult to accelerate, so if you're riding routes that involve slow corners that you have to accelerate away from or if you're climbing a lot, then larger tires will be slower. and mroe difficult to accelerate.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:31 pm
With the right rim, 30c tires can be fast.
I know...
It is the first thing I said.

It's a sub-1400g wheelset that I am building, acceleration will not be a problem.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I like big tires and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung, want to pull up tough
'Cause you notice that Tire was stuffed
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring.

😆😎
Ride fast Take chances

AnkitS

by AnkitS

S-works crankset and dura ace pedals. 7.78kg. sub uci limit when I get some race wheels on this thing. Waiting for my 130 bcd garbunk chainring cuz the absolute black one is hella ugly. Back on the toupe; berk didn't work for me.

ImageImage

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

That's a good looking bike, for sure. It looks a little funny with the 1X, but I understand you're handicapped with the junior gearing... that stinks.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

At least he's got the junior gearing as an excuse for his handicap...

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Imaking20 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:33 pm
At least he's got the junior gearing as an excuse for his handicap...
that's true... some of us aren't so lucky.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I agree, small chainring and no fd doesn't look that good on this bike. The bottle cage looks too high and there is too much space between the bottle cage and chainring. 1x is wayyy better than 2x for what I am using it for however. I'll be switching to an 11-30 cassette because I haven't touched the 32 yes and I miss the 15T.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Of course short torso and long legs (relatively), doesn't help the way this bike looks either. Short stem and too much seatpost showing, but that's just imo. 110 or 120mm stem would be ideal.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I don't think the seatpost/stem look bad... a 110mm stem might look better, but I wouldn't fault the current set up. It is deifnitely an awesome bike thought and you've set the bar high for your first build. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com