Orbea Orca 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

September 5th at 4pm they will release info.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mmeysarosh

by mmeysarosh

The bike being released is teh Orbea OMX. There was an accidental leak with a pretty complete overview and I had a chance to see the entire clip. In short, very much like the New Cannondale Suspersix, Wilier Zero SLR, or Scott Addict RC.

The notable news is room for 32mm tire official with thier free flow bowed fork, greater range of options in MyO, two piece mostly hidden cable aero cockpit, D shaped post, disc only, and your expected dropped stays. Frame weight is competitive, but just in the mix and not class leading. Compliance in the frame wasn't a major point as the option for wider rubber was selected for those seaking greater comfort. You still see the expected integrated fork area.

Still no geometry figures, which has been significant departure for some of the new gen bikes such as the Addict RC or Cannondale Supersix. More notably on small frame sizes sliding to stability over agility. Scott Addict RC and Cannondale SuperSix certainly did so. Wilier Cento SLR stuck to closely to what they have been doing.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Copie-de-OrbeaOrcaOMX2020_Bikechecks-29.jpg
OrbeaOrcaOMX2020_55.jpg
OrbeaOrcaOMX2020_Bikechecks-37.jpg

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Wow, awesome looking bike. Love the top one.

calleking

by calleking

I think the bike looks fantastic. Orca OMX and Orca Aero look very similar to eachother now.

Btw, what was the verdict on the Orca Aero Disc in terms of comfort and weight? A bit stiff and somewhat heavy vs the competition even when it was launched?
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

SashaJoseph

by SashaJoseph

Aero-optimized without aero bars is a miss for me.

xylar

by xylar

Looks great!

Is there any aero data on it or the Orca Aero?

7.5kg for 57cm OMX M10i LTD D model with DA Di2 https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... -d-review/

otnemem

by otnemem

There isn't a whole lot of weight to lose from that configuration.
It looks good and the personalization is a great selling point for many a people but for me, at that price, I'd expect something closer to the Tarmac in weight.

mmeysarosh

by mmeysarosh

A very smart offering from Orbea!

This handlebar solution provides more adjustability than other solutions and if you want something aero, it seams feasible to swap it out for whatever you like and will be easier to travel with. Tire clearences are plentiful with the bowed fork and wide BB and provide a really simple solution for extra compliance. Its still nice to see mechnical support, even though the disc only makes for some huge shifter housings. Ajustable setback on seatpost, easy access seatpost clamp, paint customization options, and the most competiive package prices of the recent releases.

A this point, they have my vote for best release this year.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Geometry from Cyclingtips shows that from 7 sizes, there are 6 different head tube angle. Unless they have 6 different fork with appropriate fork offset to each headtube angle combination for consistent trail value. This would be another bike that handle inconsistently across sizes.

mmeysarosh

by mmeysarosh

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:00 pm
Geometry from Cyclingtips shows that from 7 sizes, there are 6 different head tube angle. Unless they have 6 different fork with appropriate fork offset to each headtube angle combination for consistent trail value. This would be another bike that handle inconsistently across sizes.
Most manufactures have two to three different forks with adjusted rakes to address the size range. The Tarmac has the pretty much the same scenario they use the head tube angle in conjunction with the rake and other parameters to balance bike handling.

No bike manufacture has a consistant handling characteristics among all its sizes. Any rider should compare bikes within the size range of the rider. What they all claim to be using is differing tube sizes to keep the stiffness/compliance aspects more simialr than different.

Looking at the OMX geo, its setup to be race bike and should handle fairly quick steering. Maybe a tad less sharp as compared to the Tarmac, but certianly not a slow handler. The new SuperSix EVO is a notable departure from its predecessor and went for a bit more stability. Works well on high speed descents, but also would need a little bit more of push in somehting like a tight crit corner. It will come down to the rider preference and fit in addition to the type of riding one finds themselves in more often.

xylar

by xylar

otnemem wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:26 pm
It looks good and the personalization is a great selling point for many a people but for me, at that price, I'd expect something closer to the Tarmac in weight.
Tarmac Pro/Expert in 58 is around 7.8kg. So this is lighter than Expert/Pro but heavier than S Works. Would be interested to see how frame weight compares.

mmeysarosh

by mmeysarosh

xylar wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:33 pm
otnemem wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:26 pm
Tarmac Pro/Expert in 58 is around 7.8kg. So this is lighter than Expert/Pro but heavier than S Works. Would be interested to see how frame weight compares.
GCN has a video on it and weight was 7.35kg with no pedals and with a computer/camera mount on in a 55cm size. Competitive, but not a superlight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com