Finally Gumwall Tubeless Tires!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ancker

by ancker

From Challenge, no less...

https://bikerumor.com/2019/09/03/challe ... -tubulars/

I'm pretty stoked about this. I miss the look of gumwall tires, but not the flats associated with clinchers.
$80/ea is pretty steep, but I'll probably pay it for purely asthetical reasons. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Compatible with enve wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:24 am

who cares.. I wouldn't use challenge if there were the only gumwalls on earth, :D
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
My guess is yes, judging by the black rubber around the bead.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

And tubeless tubulars - that's the exciting part for me - having the tube and the tyre as one layer should massively increase the chance of a seal, and enable plugging.

Bit concerned about the rolling resistance implications of a bead to bead butyl coating. Anyone know what Vittoria are using for their coating?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

petromyzon wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:41 am
And tubeless tubulars - that's the exciting part for me - having the tube and the tyre as one layer should massively increase the chance of a seal, and enable plugging.

Bit concerned about the rolling resistance implications of a bead to bead butyl coating. Anyone know what Vittoria are using for their coating?

Vittoria's coating is supremely thin, it looks and feels like it's been lightly sprayed on. You can see lots of little imperfections in the coating and it damages easily.

sychen

by sychen

spdntrxi wrote:
VTR1000SP2 wrote:

who cares.. I wouldn't use challenge if there were the only gumwalls on earth, :D
Lots of people seems to like challenge tires.. I've never used them before. What's so bad about them?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Etienne

by Etienne

sychen wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:32 am
spdntrxi wrote:who cares.. I wouldn't use challenge if there were the only gumwalls on earth, :D
Lots of people seems to like challenge tires.. I've never used them before. What's so bad about them?
I used Challenge Gravel Grinders during the last winter ... for both off-road and on road, and was surprised by the low rolling resistance on tarmac but still very good confort off-road :idea: ... only downside was a lack of grip on muddy terrain, but nothing very surprising for a file thread tire.

Considering going back to Challenge for my next gravel tires ... the new offer seems interesting.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There's nothing bad about Challenge tires... It's just that tires are mostly a fungible commodity so a good tire needs at least one exceptional measure. Challenge tires aren't the fastest rolling, aren't the lightest...both easily quantifiable values. They are, however, pretty supple and decently grippy according to anecdata.

I have too many tires in my queue so I won't be trying Challenge tubeless anytime soon.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I used Almanzo 30mm gravel tyres, no problems at all.

Marin

by Marin

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:53 am
There's nothing bad about Challenge tires... It's just that tires are mostly a fungible commodity so a good tire needs at least one exceptional measure. Challenge tires aren't the fastest rolling, aren't the lightest...both easily quantifiable values. They are, however, pretty supple and decently grippy according to anecdata.

I have too many tires in my queue so I won't be trying Challenge tubeless anytime soon.
It seems the Strada Bianca is the fastest Gravel / 36mm Tire though.

ancker

by ancker

Who said anything about them needing to be good? They just bring the gumwall goodness.

JoO

by JoO

I also struggled with getting the strada bianchis 36 on the rim. After some profanity, youtube, a brush and some brown floor soap I mounted them without levers.😀

mattr

by mattr

sychen wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:32 am
What's so bad about them?
Nothing.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:53 am
Challenge tires aren't the fastest rolling, aren't the lightest...both easily quantifiable values.
That's basically it. I used to get mocked for my choice of "standard" tyres on the MTB. They did everything with a resonable level of competence, would handle any terrain fairly well. Would deal with changes in weather, rocks, roots, ups. downs and so on. Weren't too heavy, fairly durable, not too expensive........ you get the idea.

I could go pretty much anywhere in the UK or europe and know that they wouldn't let me down.

Then i got a second and third set of wheels. So i ended up with about 9 different sets of far less flexible tyres.

I mean, a lot of people raved about conti GP4000SII. Which fall apart (threads out of the sidewall), usually before the tread is even half done. (Round here anyway). Put me off for life.

The (many) challenge tyres i've had, i've only had an issue with one pair, where the tread started to lift, fixed that in no time at all, and carried on using the tyres until the tread was dead. Think the damage was done by leaving them in the back of a parked car in spain!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

ancker wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:17 pm
Who said anything about them needing to be good? They just bring the gumwall goodness.
This. Proper gumwall tlr tires! yes pls!
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10