Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Imaking20 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:06 pm

I'd venture a "yes". The Reynolds Aero profile is the most stable aero wheel I've ridden by a hefty margin. I now own a couple of the new Bontrager XXX setups and they're the closest I've come (and would rate the Bontrager braking higher). Just looking at the profile, I'd expect the WTO to behave similarly.
Bora braking performance with red pads is the gold standard though :beerchug:
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lugan

by Lugan

Has anyone run tubeless tires on these wheels? What brand and size, and what are your impressions of setup and ride quality? Thanks!

Imaking20

by Imaking20

mpulsiv wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:19 pm
Imaking20 wrote:

I'd venture a "yes". The Reynolds Aero profile is the most stable aero wheel I've ridden by a hefty margin. I now own a couple of the new Bontrager XXX setups and they're the closest I've come (and would rate the Bontrager braking higher). Just looking at the profile, I'd expect the WTO to behave similarly.
Sure, as long as you don't ride or consider several other wheels that brake better.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Imaking20 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:07 pm
mpulsiv wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:19 pm
Imaking20 wrote:

Sure, as long as you don't ride or consider several other wheels that brake better.
Please do share which wheels brake better. I don't remember anyone on this forum make this statement :wink:
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

How about sharing what other top rated wheels you've ridden to decide Boras are superior? ;)

In my opinion, people who like (or get along with) Campy stop looking. That's all fine and dandy - but not the most objective. I've spent at least a thousand miles on Bora 35 tubulars with red pads (dry mostly but a few wet rides) and they're very good. Reynolds ctg brake surface is extremely close (I think better). Textured Enve absolutely have more initial bite. FSE have more initial bite and more absolute power. Knight Composites have more absolute power (least experience with these). Aeolus XXX have more bite and power. New 9100 tubulars have more bite, more absolute power, and arguably smoother feel.

Boras are still very good. I'm not throwing shade at them... Let's just remember you were the one who threw down the "OMG best evaaaar" line to open this door ;)

gwerziou

by gwerziou

The only online retailer I’ve seen who is offering the Bora WTO 45 DB right now seems to be Cicli Mattio, https://us.ciclimattio.com/s/campagnolo ... gKhB_D_BwE

Does anyone have any experience with this company? I’ve had a recent terrible experience with a sketchy online shop and am wary of trying anything new, but starbike and bike24 don’t have these in stock and seemingly won’t for a while.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

Chris3g

by Chris3g

gwerziou wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:59 pm
The only online retailer I’ve seen who is offering the Bora WTO 45 DB right now seems to be Cicli Mattio, https://us.ciclimattio.com/s/campagnolo ... gKhB_D_BwE

Does anyone have any experience with this company? I’ve had a recent terrible experience with a sketchy online shop and am wary of trying anything new, but starbike and bike24 don’t have these in stock and seemingly won’t for a while.
I ordered a saddle from them last week, with free shipping which turned out to be overnight UPS express. Got it the next day from Italy to US, and it was the wrong model. I contacted them and didn't hear back after 2 days so was starting to get nervous, but on the 3rd day they responded with an apology and tracking for a replacement, also overnight UPS express. Got the correct model the next day and they told me to just keep them both for the inconvenience. Good experience overall and definitely not a shady operation.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Chris3g wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:23 pm
gwerziou wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:59 pm

I ordered a saddle from them last week, with free shipping which turned out to be overnight UPS express. Got it the next day from Italy to US, and it was the wrong model. I contacted them and didn't hear back after 2 days so was starting to get nervous, but on the 3rd day they responded with an apology and tracking for a replacement, also overnight UPS express. Got the correct model the next day and they told me to just keep them both for the inconvenience. Good experience overall and definitely not a shady operation.
Hey that's great news, thanks for your response! I notice their prices on Campy wheelsets tend to come out $120 USD higher or so than Bike24 for example, but that’s not too bad.

Lugan

by Lugan

Lugan wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:27 pm
Has anyone run tubeless tires on these wheels? What brand and size, and what are your impressions of setup and ride quality? Thanks!
Did it myself. I installed Schwalbe Pro One 23c tubeless on WTO 60s. They measure 26.0 mm inflated. Install went perfectly, including tires not being too hard to mount, beads seating easily, and the system holding air immediately. Rode the wheels briefly, and wow, they are stiff and responsive, though the tubeless tires pumped to a little less pressure than with tubes take the edge off nicely. Great initial experience in every way.
Last edited by Lugan on Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

According to Xentis, they're superior?
Anyone riding Xentis care to chime in?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Any thoughts on WTO 45 wheels in a rainy climate? I live in the Pacific Northwest and I ride right through the rainy, rainy winter. Do Bora WTO hold up reasonably well in the wet? I’m also looking at the Easton EC90SL disc wheels with the Vault hub, which are probably well set up for wet riding but may have a lot of drag from the heavy seals.

guyc

by guyc

Disc version I assume?

They haven’t been out long enough for anyone to have ridden a proper wet winter with them but no reason why not.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

guyc wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:53 pm
Disc version I assume?

They haven’t been out long enough for anyone to have ridden a proper wet winter with them but no reason why not.
Yes, disc version. Although I’m assuming that the hubs on all of the WTO wheels are the same in that regard.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

gwerziou wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:27 pm
guyc wrote:
Disc version I assume?

Yes, disc version. Although I’m assuming that the hubs on all of the WTO wheels are the same in that regard.
If I were you, I'd save $1200 and ride Scirocco DB wheels in foul-weather www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Wheels/scirocco_disc_brake
Rim profile has been updated in 2019 to 19mm internal and 24mm external.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:34 pm
gwerziou wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:27 pm
guyc wrote:
Disc version I assume?

If I were you, I'd save $1200 and ride Scirocco DB wheels in foul-weather www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Wheels/scirocco_disc_brake
Rim profile has been updated in 2019 to 19mm internal and 24mm external.
Thanks for your thoughts! ...but if I were me, I’d be most interested in deciding between the WTO 45 DB and the new Easton EC90SL for my one nice wheelset for all year round.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com