Garmin Edge 530/830 Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

bikeboy1tr wrote:It was recently brought to my attention that the new Garmins have two Bluetooth connections that need to be paired and once I did this I was getting the upload to my Garmin Connect App as soon as I saved the ride well at least most times depending where I am located at that moment. I was having the same issues with my 530 not loading once I saved the ride but not an issue now.
I have two BT connections but I still have the upload issue. When I finish my ride with the phone in the garage, once I come within BT range my phone only shows one of those two BT connections as being connected. The 830 would only upload once I open the GC app., at which point both BT connections will show connections. It’s annoying the heck out of me. My 520 has no such issue. The ride is uploaded as soon as I save it and come within BT range to the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Yesterday I had to power the 530 down and then wait for a minute, power back up, go into History, then rides and select for it to load the ride. I have had to do this with my 510 in the past as well. I know this is irritating and I do have the connection to my Garmin App but still every so often this is what I have to resort too.
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"-Albert Einstein
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

kytyree

by kytyree

Yes, I usually at minimum have the garmin app running in the background on my phone after a ride. But I still have to do something manually either via the phone or Garmin to make sure it uploads. Other times by the time I set my stuff down back inside the house the ride is there. It works but I've yet to figure out why it can be so random.

Early this week I had a first with the 520+, all of my bluetooth connections dropped out mid-ride completely at the same time. Same setup I usually ride with, wasn't doing anything important enough to fool with it much but worked fine the next time I used it.

AJS914

by AJS914

kytyree wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:59 pm
Other times by the time I set my stuff down back inside the house the ride is there. It works but I've yet to figure out why it can be so random.
This happens to me frequently with my 510. Now when I get home I plug in the 510 to charge it and I put my phone (iphone) on it's charger and usually within 10 minutes they sync. Like you said, sometimes it just happens immediately. Sometimes after a few minutes. Sometimes I force it by launching Garmin Connect. Occasionally, I shut down the Garmin and then restart it and it will usually sync after that. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

ryanw

by ryanw

I’m having to disconnect my phone from my 830 (on the 830), and then reconnect for my rides to upload.

Amazing how 3 years ago, my Edge 1000 worked perfectly. Well done Garmin...
'16 Cervelo S5 - 6,650g RIP
'17 Focus Mares Force 1 - 7,170g
'19 Cervelo S5 Disc - 7,460g

IG: RhinosWorkshop - Check it out for all my custom builds :thumbup:

:!: Ride Southern Spain Cycling Holidays *£445 for 7 Nights* :!:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My issue is a bit different from everyone else’s. I don’t carry my phone while riding. I wear an Apple Watch. Upon returning home and within BT range the 830 doesn’t connect to the phone unless I manually open up GC. It looks like if you do carry a phone you’ll have a good BT connection but the ride won’t upload. Good grief.

otoman

by otoman

Juanmoretime wrote:I went in to settings and got it figured out. Had to do the same with autostop. Garmin needs to work on when you have a new unit it transfers the setting from the old unit via Garmin connect.
This would be amazing, including screen setups
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

I was doing nice loop from Zernez (CH) to Zernez with 6 climbs that went up to 2000m. Unfortunately my Garmin 530 somehow failed twice. First it reported an elevation that was 550m too high (it showed 2700m at the Ofenpass which is about 2150). I restarted the unit and it reported something more realistic after that. A few hours later we got into a big downpour that lasted for about 90min and the barometric got clocked up and reported nonse again.

My buddie, who rode with me, had the same problem, but told me that his old garmin 810 had a "recalculate elevation" function. I couldn't find something similar on my Garmin 530 though. Is there a chance, either on strava or the garmin itself to repair the file based on GPS data?

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I was in Chicago visiting family this past weekend. The odometer at some point stop advancing and my avearge speed went down. After about 8 km it starting picking up signal. It seems kind of hard to believe I would loose both regular GPS and Glasnost at the same time.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Juanmoretime wrote:I was in Chicago visiting family this past weekend. The odometer at some point stop advancing and my avearge speed went down. After about 8 km it starting picking up signal. It seems kind of hard to believe I would loose both regular GPS and Glasnost at the same time.
Should have switched to Perestroika then! ;)

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Has anyone any recommendations for screen protectors for Garmin touchscreens? Tia

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Came back from vacation (no bike) and went out for a ride. I guess garmin must've done something with their software/firmware because my phone is connecting to the 830 and text messages were displaying on the garmin screen. Nice feature especially when it's really windy or there's road noise because I don't always hear it in my back pocket.
Speedplay is the devil!

kytyree

by kytyree

The 830 wasn't already doing text messages? The 520+ plus has always had them as far as I know, even Whatsapp works now.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I guess I could read the manual and have played with the settings. Still does not automatically upload to GC. Does anyone know how to turn off the lap feature on the 530? I find it mildly annoying.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

by Weenie

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Juanmoretime wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:53 pm
I guess I could read the manual and have played with the settings. Still does not automatically upload to GC. Does anyone know how to turn off the lap feature on the 530? I find it mildly annoying.

You turn off the auto-lap feature within each activity profile under the menu option for automatic features. You can also turn off sharp turn warnings.

For auto-uploading via BT sometimes I have to toggle BT on the phone. Otherwise WiFi seems to work pretty reliably.