Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TomSte

by TomSte

Looks fantastic 👌
Love it... Even with the lower rims.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

ianeire wrote:BikeRadar on point this morning with an up to date review of the 105 model

"The SuperSix Evo proves that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, and continues to deliver"

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... 05-review/

:wink:
Don't forget to mention its SSE2 though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ianeire

by ianeire

Yes, the irony of them doing a new review, on the previous generation bike, and saying if it ain't broke don't fix it wasn't lost on me :wink:

tothemax

by tothemax

slashy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:15 pm
@ tothemax what size frame is this and did you change vs previous SS disc or did you simply pick the same size ?
It's a 54. I've ridden 54's in past SS's too but with some spacers under the stem. This bike fits great so far.
GrumpyOldPizza wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:50 pm

Any reason you went with the 8 arm spider ring over the 10 arm ?
TBH, I didn't even know the difference until now. Looks like the 10 arm spider is a bit lighter, damn. I went from a 50/34 10 arm, to a 52/36 last year, and this was the one the shop ordered for me. Either way, it's a ligher setup than stock.

Dilbert

by Dilbert

Spinnekop wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:52 am
2019-08-15.jpgThe bike looks not too bad.

7.8kg.
Still waiting on the new rotors from SRAM.
Nice, and those Zipps look great :thumbup:
It would look even better with a stealthy chainring.

alexgodmar

by alexgodmar

floriansantana wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:38 am
Down to 7,2 kilos.

That thing rides like a charm. And is really light.

And the paintjob is crazy cool, because the grey part is not just grey but shines in rainbow glow in different angles.

Please make a build page! The 105 colorway is so much nicer than the ultegra. Looking forward to see more of your build!

floriansantana

by floriansantana

alexgodmar wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:07 am
Please make a build page! The 105 colorway is so much nicer than the ultegra. Looking forward to see more of your build!
Will do. Need to make a build list and a couple of pics first. But I’ll try my best.
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana

GrumpyOldPizza

by GrumpyOldPizza

ianeire wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:50 am
Yes, the irony of them doing a new review, on the previous generation bike, and saying if it ain't broke don't fix it wasn't lost on me :wink:
Makes me wonder whether this is the counter review to Mr. All-Cannondale-does-is-great Rossiter ...

Patto

by Patto

ianeire wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:50 am
Very happy I bought a 2019 himod frame for an excellent price.

refthimos

by refthimos

Disclosure: Our team is sponsored by Cannondale, though if I don't like a bike Cannondale makes, I am willing to buy outside the brand. Example: Last year, I wanted an "all-round" road disc bike. Cannondale's EVO2 Disc still used a quick release for the rear wheel. That was unacceptable to me, so I went with a Giant TCR.

After reviewing the "lighweight aero disc" bikes now out on the market, I think the EVO3 Disc is the best of all of them. Let me explain by noting the deficiencies in the others:

Tarmac: Front end not integrated, cables visible, this is now a non-starter when other bikes (like the EVO3 Disc) hide all the cables. Note: I only run electronic, so this allows for all hidden cables.

Canyon Ultimate: Same as Tarmac, cables are visible.

BMC Road Machine: Integrated front end, but it has all those funky hard edges, which look like they were placed to emulate 1990s stealth fighter aesthetics.

Colnago V3R: I'm not sure I trust the aerodynamics, the seatstays look straight rather than curved like the EVO3 Disc to increase clearance, and then there is the price.

Scott Addict RC: Probably the closest contender to the EVO3 Disc, and the RC's Creston iC Sl integrated cockpit is the leading contender to go on my EVO3 Disc to save weight, but it doesn't appear that much emphasis was placed on the aerodynamics of the tube shapes.

Wilier SLR: Like the RC, I'm not sure the aerodyamics are there, but even without that, the seatclamp tumor inside the top tube/seat tube junction makes this one a non-starter for me.

Last thing I should mention is that I'm not taking into account paint jobs, and that seems to be the source of most of the criticism for the EVO3 Disc. While not 100% certain, I'm most likely going to have the bike custom painted. Though I do think the "Carbon" colorway on the Ultegra HM Di2 bike looks just fine, and better in person.
Last edited by refthimos on Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

Good point on integration, but for those who travel a lot with a bike, it will be complete PITA. Working on all those cables every time you need to travel will be a nightmare. If someone has Slice or Superslice, they know what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SashaJoseph

by SashaJoseph

refthimos wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:04 pm
Disclosure: Our team is sponsored by Cannondale, though if I don't like a bike Cannondale makes, I am willing to buy outside the brand. Example: Last year, I wanted an "all-round" road disc bike. Cannondale's EVO2 Disc still used a quick release for the rear wheel. That was unacceptable to me, so I went with a Giant TCR.

After reviewing the "lighweight aero disc" bikes now out on the market, I think the EVO3 Disc is the best of all of them. Let me explain by noting the deficiencies in the others:

Tarmac: Front end not integrated, cables visible, this is now a non-starter when other bikes (like the EVO3 Disc) hide all the cables. Note: I only run electronic, so this allows for all hidden cables.

Canyon Ultimate: Same as Tarmac, cables are visible.

BMC Road Machine: Integrated front end, but it has all those funky hard edges, which look like they were placed to emulate 1990s stealth fighter aesthetics.

Colnago V3R: I'm not sure I trust the aerodynamics, the seatstays look straight rather than curved like the EVO3 Disc to increase clearance, and then there is the price.

Scott Addict RC: Probably the closest contender to the EVO3 Disc, and the RC's Creston iC Sl integrated cockpit is the leading contender to go on my EVO3 Disc to save weight, but it doesn't appear that much emphasis was placed on the aerodynamics of the tube shapes.

Wilier SLR: Like the RC, I'm not sure the aerodyamics are there, but even without that, the seatclamp tumor inside the top tube/seat tube junction makes this one a non-starter for me.

Last thing I should mention is that I'm not taking into account paint jobs, and that seems to be the source of most of the criticism for the EVO3 Disc. While not 100% certain, I'm most likely going to have the bike custom painted. Though I do think the "Carbon" colorway on the Ultegra HM Di2 bike looks just fine, and better in person.
Thanks for this overview!
I am also in the market for a lightweight aero-optimized bike with full cable integration. I am contemplating the same set of bike plus a few more but my conclusion is different than yours. I thought I would share it to fuel the discussion.

Tarmac: in line with you
Ultimate: in line with you (my current bike by the way)
BMC roadmachine: as this is BMC’s endurance model, I rather took the teammachine into consideration. But it does not look aero-optmized at all with its big round tubes.
Colnago V3R: very light indeed but no wind tunnel data to back the aero claims. And the cables still are a bit exposed at the stem/bar junction.
Scott addict: a serious contender to me but the (absence of) colourway is a deal-breaker for me.
Wilier SLR: frame not aero-optimized + seatclamp « tumor » as you call it
pinarello f12: serious contender but ridiculous price and I am not looking for a status symbol.
De rosa merak: light and gorgeous but frame not aero-optimized.
Cannondale SS evo 3: not 100% convinced because of 1) colourway, 2) some reviewers complain about the cable integration limiting the angle at which the bars can be turned and 3) handlebar/stem combo is said to be heavy (though I have been unable to find actual numbers) and I do not want to use another one.

So, all in all, I think that this new type of frame is not yet fully mature and I may wait another year to see the updated Tarmac, Ultimate, Émonda and Teammachine. Unless someone can convince me that one of the above bike is already the pinnacle of this new breed.

C36

by C36

SashaJoseph wrote:3) handlebar/stem combo is said to be heavy (though I have been unable to find actual numbers) and I do not want to use another one.
Just under 600g for the combo (in the 290s for each piece)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Pinguin

by Pinguin

If it should be a lightweight bike theres only the Addict Ultimate a option
Also its a "cheap" frameset (3000 Euro)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

furiousferret

by furiousferret

I've been conflicted for weeks about 105 Disc vs. Rim. I have a new eTap 22 group on my current EVO which I want to move over, but that means if go disc I have to get new brakes and shifters. Adding to that I have to get a nice wheelset (which can wait til next race season). So that means a disc build will be about $3000 than rim.

It would be nice to get those disc wheels for BWR (which would go on my CX bike) and I do feel like rim brakes will be gone in 3 years. Either I'm going to bite the bullet today or in the future and whatever I wheelsets I buy for this bike I won't be able to carry over.

The only time I ever hit the podium in races is in Hillclimbs or races with Cat 2 climbs or more, so that's important to me. While its not so important I'm willing to spend thousands for a few extra grams, I do want to keep the build under 7.5 kilos. It seems like that's doable.

We're a Giant, Cannondale, Scott, and BMC Shop (where I get nice discounts) so I may hold out for the new Addict but ultimately I believe that's disc brake only.