Is Tubeless really all its cracked up to be?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
arcatern
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:43 am

by arcatern

mr2scott wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:59 pm
I've flatted exacly zeros flats this year on tubeless road (minus the exploded wheel where the spokes shot through the rim tape). I have had numerous holes that the selant plugged. I've been on tubeless road since the day the alpha 340 came out and would never go back to tubes.
I have these rims on my ssevo himod and wondering what tubeless tires you've used and how easy or hard they've been to mount.
Short list for summer (dry) training and racing are rubino pro TLR or corsa TLR (not control or speed, just standard) or gp5000tl or maxxis padrone tl

thanks!

willmac
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:33 am

by willmac

Had a moment today when a friend and I, me on tubeless and him on standard clinchers, went through a bunch of broken glass. Ended with him swapping a tube out and while I was waiting for home to do that, I noticed a shard of glass stuck in my tire. Pulled it out, spun the hole to the ground and let the sealant do its work. Didn’t even bother putting any extra air in and rode away.

by Weenie


mr2scott
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:39 pm

by mr2scott

arcatern wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:23 pm
mr2scott wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:59 pm
I've flatted exacly zeros flats this year on tubeless road (minus the exploded wheel where the spokes shot through the rim tape). I have had numerous holes that the selant plugged. I've been on tubeless road since the day the alpha 340 came out and would never go back to tubes.
I have these rims on my ssevo himod and wondering what tubeless tires you've used and how easy or hard they've been to mount.
Short list for summer (dry) training and racing are rubino pro TLR or corsa TLR (not control or speed, just standard) or gp5000tl or maxxis padrone tl

thanks!
Knot rims like I have now or alpha 340s ?

I've never had an issue mounting any tubeless tire on the alpha 340 or almost any other tire on any rim. I've also installed 10's of thousands of tires and have thumbs of steel. That being said holy crap getting a GP5000TL on a Cannondale knot rim is hella hard, all other tires are easy as can be. I think it's because the bead on the 5000TL is HUGE and both beads don't fully fit inside the inner channel in a lot of rims. So you don't get quite as much slack to get the 2nd bead on, than would be ideal.

tinozee
Posts: 716
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:53 am

by tinozee

willmac wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:47 pm
I noticed a shard of glass stuck in my tire. Pulled it out, spun the hole to the ground and let the sealant do its work. Didn’t even bother putting any extra air in and rode away.
I became so used to tubeless with stans 340s that I stopped carrying anything tire related. Only had one moment like the one you describe, and it was the same thing, just rolled the hole to the bottom and it sealed. I think it was only because I had stopped and that the hole was at the top that I even noticed it, and that it must have happened before where it just sealed while spinning. I had over 20k miles on road tubeless and never once had to change a tire on the road. This was 2010-2014, so I'm sure the stuff is way better now. I'm curious how well it works on the carbon rims with no spoke holes. No tape needed? Those non drilled LightBicycle rims look pretty cool if the tubeless works well on them.

arcatern
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:43 am

by arcatern

mr2scott wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:05 am
arcatern wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:23 pm
mr2scott wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:59 pm
I've flatted exacly zeros flats this year on tubeless road (minus the exploded wheel where the spokes shot through the rim tape). I have had numerous holes that the selant plugged. I've been on tubeless road since the day the alpha 340 came out and would never go back to tubes.
I have these rims on my ssevo himod and wondering what tubeless tires you've used and how easy or hard they've been to mount.
Short list for summer (dry) training and racing are rubino pro TLR or corsa TLR (not control or speed, just standard) or gp5000tl or maxxis padrone tl

thanks!
Knot rims like I have now or alpha 340s ?

I've never had an issue mounting any tubeless tire on the alpha 340 or almost any other tire on any rim. I've also installed 10's of thousands of tires and have thumbs of steel. That being said holy crap getting a GP5000TL on a Cannondale knot rim is hella hard, all other tires are easy as can be. I think it's because the bead on the 5000TL is HUGE and both beads don't fully fit inside the inner channel in a lot of rims. So you don't get quite as much slack to get the 2nd bead on, than would be ideal.


apologies, your stans alpha 340's.

arcatern
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:43 am

by arcatern

tinozee wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:05 am
willmac wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:47 pm
I noticed a shard of glass stuck in my tire. Pulled it out, spun the hole to the ground and let the sealant do its work. Didn’t even bother putting any extra air in and rode away.
I became so used to tubeless with stans 340s that I stopped carrying anything tire related. Only had one moment like the one you describe, and it was the same thing, just rolled the hole to the bottom and it sealed. I think it was only because I had stopped and that the hole was at the top that I even noticed it, and that it must have happened before where it just sealed while spinning. I had over 20k miles on road tubeless and never once had to change a tire on the road. This was 2010-2014, so I'm sure the stuff is way better now. I'm curious how well it works on the carbon rims with no spoke holes. No tape needed? Those non drilled LightBicycle rims look pretty cool if the tubeless works well on them.
what tubeless tire have you been using for big mileage and training?

User avatar
kytyree
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:55 am
Location: US

by kytyree

I'd think the nondrilled rims would be fine if they're otherwise designed for tubeless. I recently started riding a pair of the Ritchey Zeta wheels on one of my bikes. They're alloy but same idea, there aren't any holes, no tape and I'm liking them run tubeless so far.

User avatar
Valy
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:16 pm

by Valy

willmac wrote:Had a moment today when a friend and I, me on tubeless and him on standard clinchers, went through a bunch of broken glass. Ended with him swapping a tube out and while I was waiting for home to do that, I noticed a shard of glass stuck in my tire. Pulled it out, spun the hole to the ground and let the sealant do its work. Didn’t even bother putting any extra air in and rode away.
That does sound a very inconsiderate thing to do. At leat on our rides, it's mutual to wait if someone has puncture and you don't. Close to home or not.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk


willmac
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:33 am

by willmac

Valy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:15 pm
willmac wrote:Had a moment today when a friend and I, me on tubeless and him on standard clinchers, went through a bunch of broken glass. Ended with him swapping a tube out and while I was waiting for home to do that, I noticed a shard of glass stuck in my tire. Pulled it out, spun the hole to the ground and let the sealant do its work. Didn’t even bother putting any extra air in and rode away.
That does sound a very inconsiderate thing to do. At leat on our rides, it's mutual to wait if someone has puncture and you don't. Close to home or not.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I think you misinterpreted what I wrote. I meant I rode away in the context of sealing the hole without having to resort to any further work to repair it. Not that I rode away from my friend and left him on the side of the road

User avatar
Valy
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:16 pm

by Valy

willmac wrote:
Valy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:15 pm
willmac wrote:Had a moment today when a friend and I, me on tubeless and him on standard clinchers, went through a bunch of broken glass. Ended with him swapping a tube out and while I was waiting for home to do that, I noticed a shard of glass stuck in my tire. Pulled it out, spun the hole to the ground and let the sealant do its work. Didn’t even bother putting any extra air in and rode away.
That does sound a very inconsiderate thing to do. At leat on our rides, it's mutual to wait if someone has puncture and you don't. Close to home or not.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I think you misinterpreted what I wrote. I meant I rode away in the context of sealing the hole without having to resort to any further work to repair it. Not that I rode away from my friend and left him on the side of the road
Glad to hear. Thanks for explaining.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk


Ettore
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:44 am

by Ettore

Over 4000k on tubeless in the past two years, zero flats. Had two flats in one week prior to switching to tubeless. Same roads.

User avatar
WinterRider
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm

by WinterRider

Took #2 bike down the other eve.. front was zero psi.. aired up and left. Noticed 2+ miles later the front again down.. stopped and added O Endurance which now from memory was long due. Had only one C02 inflator and that one had been used giving much less psi than required. So I starts for home... given the dryness of the bead was some minor seepage. Did make it though.. not on the rim but likely as far as could be pushed. Simply inflated .. got a drink and left.. go to go.

Try that w a tube.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 2 yrs from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

zefs
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:40 pm

by zefs

How did you re-use a co2? do you leave the regulator installed?

Marin
Posts: 3534
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:48 am
Location: Vienna Austria

by Marin

Why not bring a mini pump? Better resource usage too

by Weenie


User avatar
Alexbn921
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 pm

by Alexbn921

I couldn't bring myself to ride without a pump on my bike, even with CO2. My last bike I had a full-size frame pump on. I personally hate fixing flats with a crappy mini pump. Always got some jokes on group rides until someone gets a flat and who do you think they look at first for help. :)

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post