When will you buy eTap AXS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

The question is when...?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:50 am

Right NOW!
3%
Soon, when I get a better deal.
3%
April, when Force eTap AXS would appear.
6%
Want it, but no plan.
16%
My current groupset is just fine.
69%
Never! Single Speed FTW!
2%

Total votes: 287

mattr

by mattr

zinedrei wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:44 am
you'll then appreciate this when you need to charge it. no need to have the bike near the socket like Di2 :D
Are you living in the dark ages?
I've got multiple sockets in every room in the house, except the sauna.
There's even a double on the wall next to the bike rack and 4 more in the bike room.

If I didn't, I could just go and buy a 5m strip for €10.

zinedrei

by zinedrei

mattr wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:21 am
zinedrei wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:44 am
you'll then appreciate this when you need to charge it. no need to have the bike near the socket like Di2 :D
Are you living in the dark ages?
I've got multiple sockets in every room in the house, except the sauna.
There's even a double on the wall next to the bike rack and 4 more in the bike room.

If I didn't, I could just go and buy a 5m strip for €10.
lol not in the dark ages although we're having "dark times" now.
i live in HK and unfortunately, space is a luxury

good for you if you have a bike room since not everyone has one

either way, wires? in this day and age? (pun intended) :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

zinedrei wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 am
either way, wires? in this day and age? (pun intended) :D
Too right. Won't be seeing a wireless CANbus for any sort of transmission system for a good few years yet. :wink:

Though seriously, a 5m strip and you should be able to charge anywhere, space limited or not, GPS, bike, lights, phone. They all need charging. Or just get a USB chargeblock and you can do most of them!

Restyle

by Restyle

Is it possible to buy Axs with front 48/35t and rear 10/32 or os 48/35 only for 10/28 due to chain length?

gwerziou

by gwerziou

I was stoked about AXS coming up to the release, although as a CX guy I was even more stoked about a 1 x 12 mechanical. When I saw the price of AXS my enthusiasm was curbed somewhat, but the real thing that made it a NO was that crank. To my eyes, the AXS road cranks must be the ugliest cranks I have ever seen. What a mess. Undoubtedly that middle round part in the next generation is going to be able to pivot to adjust chainline, as their patent application suggests, but basically that is a truly foul looking piece of hardware. Also, for some bizarre reason, they just couldn’t be bothered to release the 1 x 12 mechanical group that so many of us were dying for.
Last edited by gwerziou on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

tinozee

by tinozee

How is the shifting on 1x12 AXS road setup with the widest range cassette? Smooth? Does this derailleur have a clutch or strong spring like the Shimano newer one? Sorry for my ignorance, I've been away from buying any parts for about 4 years. Still on a Evo with Sram Red with a Quarq and rim brakes, and it's great. My area is flat and i can get by for 100+ miles in the big ring here, so the 1x looks soo appealing assuming it's smooth and can shift during climbs.

tinozee

by tinozee

gwerziou wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:08 pm
the real thing that made it a NO was that crank. To my eys, the AXS road cranks must be the ugliest cranks I have ever seen. What a mess.
Agreed, that chainring is fugly!

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Restyle wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:59 pm
Is it possible to buy Axs with front 48/35t and rear 10/32 or os 48/35 only for 10/28 due to chain length?
I got a 48/35 and swapped out the 35 for a 33 so I have a 48/33. It's paired with a 10-33 in the back with no chain problems.
Ride fast Take chances

Pinguin

by Pinguin

To be honest,the Axs is nothing better than old Etap

gwerziou

by gwerziou

tinozee wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:37 am
How is the shifting on 1x12 AXS road setup with the widest range cassette? Smooth? Does this derailleur have a clutch or strong spring like the Shimano newer one?
The rear derailleur is actually pretty cool. It has a sealed fluid, light hydraulic clutch - an ingenious design. The shifters are nice too. The crank is hideous and it’s all overpriced is the problem, oh and they did something to the chain/cassette so it’s not compatible with anything else on the market. So you’re totally locked in.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I recently tried to return to wanting to like AXS but all the proprietary aspects are brutal. DUB, crank/power meter, XDR, it only works well for buying a new complete off-the-peg bike. I wish the old eTap 11 would come back in all honesty.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

I really want to like AXS because I have been a diehard Sram guy for the past 13 years, but I'll being switching to DA Di2 for my next build. AXS's compatibility issues and cost turn me off. It's a shame because I currently have 5 Sram equipped road bikes in the house, including an Etap 11 "A" bike.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Pinguin wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:54 am
To be honest,the Axs is nothing better than old Etap
It shifts faster and has an extra cog for more range or tighter spacing. It also has automated shifting modes. How is that not better?
Ride fast Take chances

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

GONE4ARIDE wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:27 pm
I really want to like AXS because I have been a diehard Sram guy for the past 13 years, but I'll being switching to DA Di2 for my next build. AXS's compatibility issues and cost turn me off. It's a shame because I currently have 5 Sram equipped road bikes in the house, including an Etap 11 "A" bike.
So you’re going to buy a complete new set of shimano vs Sram, because it requires you to buy a complete new set? Other than some rear hubs, what compatibility issues?
rollinslow wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:47 pm
I recently tried to return to wanting to like AXS but all the proprietary aspects are brutal. DUB, crank/power meter, XDR, it only works well for buying a new complete off-the-peg bike. I wish the old eTap 11 would come back in all honesty.
Supporting manufactures will step up in very short order with rings, cassettes, chains, cranks......

None of this stuff is ever available right after launch with any new system. Look at XTR 12 speed, it took almost a year just to get chain rings and the freehub is still proprietary with limited options.

Dub is better than GXP and fits most frames. Non spider cranks are more versatile. XD/XDr is an open standard and is lighter/more durable than the HG freehubs.

Shimano's first and second gen electronics are not compatible, electronic and mechanical are not compatible. Every geneation intaduces new standarnds.

I own it and I like it. Front shifting could be slightly better and the cost is way too much. I also wish I could get a gold chain to match my bike. Other than that, it just works like it should with a 480% range.
Ride fast Take chances

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Kjetil wrote:Blurb said chain/sprocket life. Fewer contact points so greater contact area to counter it.
IIRC.
Thanks, that’s exactly the only rationale that I could come up with in my mind as well, but was wondering what marketing spin SRAM was using to justify the new enlarged roller diameter. It’s no secret that when you get down to only 10 and 9 tooth cogs, that the actual chain engagement is so small that rapid wear is inevitable. You can just look back to the days of SunTour’s Microdrive to see that. Super compact drive trains just wore out too fast and are less “smooth” running in actual use. So in an attempt to counter that, they increase roller diameter allowing for more surface contact between chain and cog in the very few teeth that are actually engaged on the smallest cogs. The whole 1x for the road is just ridiculous imo and there’s no way I’d want any smaller cog than an 11 on the rear cassette. It’s just a bad design, period. Small cogs simply don’t run as smooth, the few teeth that are engaged wear faster, and the potential for skipping during a sprint goes up with fewer teeth engaged and a little wear. Not something a sprinter would ever want. Then changing a completely satisfactory and industry standard roller diameter for the sake of being better able to accommodate poor chain engagement on tiny cogs... I’ll just never understand SRAM’s strategy, at least for road. They should just try to make a front drive train that works instead of trying to say a front shift between two chainrings is a “catastrophic event” and thus 1x is the way forward. Seriously, how stupid do they think people are. Shimano and Campy’s front shifting is effortless. I think they must be backing off the whole 1x push on the road by now. They’ve been embarrassed enough already by its failings at the pro peloton level. Sure for some applications it may have merit (rear suspension mountain bikes), but not on a performance oriented road bike.
But even forgetting about 1x for a moment, changing the roller diameter for their 2x systems as well so they can use the tiny 10 tooth cog?... just seems so stupid and pointless. That extra surface contact they deem necessary for those tiny cogs has also got to increase friction when on the larger cogs as well. No big deal in my mind but in today’s world if a company can show the slightest friction gains on their super sensitive testing machines, they will talk about it, even though it means nothing from a practical standpoint. But friction losses, nary a mention.
Sorry, but every now and then I just have to ask “WHY?”, and SRAM continues to leave me shaking my head as to their road strategy. They need to get their heads out of the mud.
Last edited by Calnago on Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ