2015 SuperSix EVO 5.37kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

refthimos

by refthimos

bruno2000 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:22 am
Very nice and true weightweenie's bike.
Nevertheless one big question fo rme, why building such a light bike and opting for the carbon q ring.
I have both the carbon and the 'open' alloy. Carbon might look cool but they are heavier and I do not believe mortals like we can feel any difference in stifness.
For shifting performance, just to be safe, I only run the heavier solid "aero" Q-Rings on all my bikes. I think at this point I'm also married to the solid chainring aesthetics. Maybe it's a bit more aero as well!
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 Coming soon! [6.35kg]
SystemSix | 8.01kg
TCR Advanced SL Disc | 7.35kg SEE CLASSIFIEDS
P5 | 9070 Di2 | SISL2 SRM | Enve 7.8 | Roval 321
T1 | P2Max Type S | Rolf Prima FX58/Zipp Super 9 Disc

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I've watched over the progress of this build since the beginning, lurking here and there. Impressive weight, nice work!

No judgement inteded here, I'm simply curious about the decision to put your stem so low on your steerer tube with minimal spacers, yet run what appears to be a +12 deg Extralite stem? Was that to save weight in the spacers and steerer tube, yet still get you in a position you need?

by Weenie

refthimos

by refthimos

Bianchi10 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:37 pm
No judgement inteded here, I'm simply curious about the decision to put your stem so low on your steerer tube with minimal spacers, yet run what appears to be a +12 deg Extralite stem? Was that to save weight in the spacers and steerer tube, yet still get you in a position you need?
That's a great question! I wish my answer was as you state it, but the honest answer is that I used to run my stem slammed with this bike, but I got fit a few years ago and among a number of changes, he brought my bars up. But my steer tube was already cut for a slammed stem. So flipping the Extralite stem upside down got me the same stack that I would normally get with spacers.

I know my position is decidedly "uncool," but it seems to work. When I get in the drops, I am plenty low enough. I came out of retirement earlier this year for a one hour crit and did the whole race probably 95% in the drops. Felt great, went (sorta) fast.

BTW: This was my old position - while my bike certainly looked a lot cooler, I'm pretty sure I'm faster with my "Fred" position:

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 Coming soon! [6.35kg]
SystemSix | 8.01kg
TCR Advanced SL Disc | 7.35kg SEE CLASSIFIEDS
P5 | 9070 Di2 | SISL2 SRM | Enve 7.8 | Roval 321
T1 | P2Max Type S | Rolf Prima FX58/Zipp Super 9 Disc

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

refthimos wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:13 pm
Bianchi10 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:37 pm
That's a great question! I wish my answer was as you state it, but the honest answer is that I used to run my stem slammed with this bike, but I got fit a few years ago and among a number of changes, he brought my bars up. But my steer tube was already cut for a slammed stem. So flipping the Extralite stem upside down got me the same stack that I would normally get with spacers.

I know my position is decidedly "uncool," but it seems to work. When I get in the drops, I am plenty low enough. I came out of retirement earlier this year for a one hour crit and did the whole race probably 95% in the drops. Felt great, went (sorta) fast.
Ahh gotcha! that makes sense. I'm not looking forward to the day when I will have to either buy a new fork or get a new stem to accomodate my older age lol. Im good for a while on the bike, but hard efforts with anything past 60 miles and I can start to feel my back tighten up a bit. Id say within the next 2 years, I'll be having to decide something similar.