New Specialized Tarmac 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

okimy

by okimy

One of the employees at my LBS told me when asking him about the new Cannondale SupersixEvo that he'd wait about buying a new bike. Apparently there is a new Specialized Tarmac coming this fall. Has anyone heard something similar or does anyone know something about this rumor?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

The only thing i can imagine is a rolling update to run the cables internally on the current frame to keep up with the Joneses.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I imagine it will have updated tube shaping from the freefoil library and internal routing. Probably launch in time for Worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Anything is possible, but I would say it is highly doubtful.... the timing would not fit the usual launch of any new Specialized products in the last 6 years or... new fraes are luanched on a 3 year rotation from Specialized (with few exceptions). This year was the Roubaix (as a 2020), announced and launched at Roubaix. The Tarmac would be due for a new update next summer, just before the TDF, as a 2021 bike. I would expect to see new colors at the end of the summer, to be 2020 bikes.... maybe some sort of update to the current model for hiding cables, but maybe not.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

A friend joked with me a new Tarmac would be available before my EPS 12 internal was installed on my still in the box SL6 frameset.. Im stil waiting for my EPS 12, and I'm still staring at the box.... LOL

okimy

by okimy

I really hope the D shaped seatpost is coming to the lower end models aswell. It just looks much better with that.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

okimy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:52 pm
I really hope the D shaped seatpost is coming to the lower end models aswell. It just looks much better with that.

Probably not. It would be difficult to make a D-shaped alloy seatpost that wouldn’t get crushed.

okimy

by okimy

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:21 am
okimy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:52 pm

Probably not. It would be difficult to make a D-shaped alloy seatpost that wouldn’t get crushed.
Even the lower end models have a carbon seatpost rn. So it would probably be carbon (see Cannondale). But yeah, probably not happening because they want to keep the price down. I still hope they do though.

ichobi

by ichobi

It could explain why there is no new tarmac color since its launched in 2017. But that would still be way too soon.

alwaysupgrading

by alwaysupgrading

Yes, there is in fact a 2020 Tarmac SL6 Di2 disc brakes coming out. A friend of mine just ordered it and should arrive in a week or two. It has a new unfinished carbon look. Bike shop worked directly with Specialized as special order crash-replacement. My understanding is that nothing has changed besides the paint finish. I can't wait to see it!

ill principe

by ill principe

Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (not yet built) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

AW84

by AW84

The next Tarmac will have an integrated stem and kamm foils on the backside of the head and downtube like the Venge, to which Specialized marketing will claim, "the fastest Tarmac ever, saving you one full hour over a 10-mile time trial."

Then, because they'll be completely out of ideas to evolve the bike, the next iteration after that will have storage for your sammiches inside all of said kamm foil tubes, which Specialized's marketing team will spin to convince dentists and doctors that the new 19 lb. Tarmac is the best ever.

If any bicycle manufacturers are hiring frame designers or marketing B.S.'er's, my services are available.

dcorn

by dcorn

AW84 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:14 pm
The next Tarmac will have an integrated stem and kamm foils on the backside of the head and downtube like the Venge, to which Specialized marketing will claim, "the fastest Tarmac ever, saving you one full hour over a 10-mile time trial."

Then, because they'll be completely out of ideas to evolve the bike, the next iteration after that will have storage for your sammiches inside all of said kamm foil tubes, which Specialized's marketing team will spin to convince dentists and doctors that the new 19 lb. Tarmac is the best ever.

If any bicycle manufacturers are hiring frame designers or marketing B.S.'er's, my services are available.
Why are you so angry about new bike evolution? I think like cell phones, we're kind of approaching peak bike at the moment where changes are incremental instead of revolutionary. Also, all companies are now using extensive aero testing and coming up with the same data, meaning bike designs are going to converge unless companies start going for style instead of outright performance (which won't happen on pro tour level bikes). So the only thing left to do is market the shit out of your new bike to get people to buy it over the competitor's bike that looks and weighs the same. Specialized clearly does a good job of that.

I bet you ride a steel frame or a Colnago. :smartass:

AW84

by AW84

dcorn wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Why are you so angry about new bike evolution? I think like cell phones, we're kind of approaching peak bike at the moment where changes are incremental instead of revolutionary. Also, all companies are now using extensive aero testing and coming up with the same data, meaning bike designs are going to converge unless companies start going for style instead of outright performance (which won't happen on pro tour level bikes). So the only thing left to do is market the shit out of your new bike to get people to buy it over the competitor's bike that looks and weighs the same. Specialized clearly does a good job of that.

I bet you ride a steel frame or a Colnago. :smartass:
If we're talking speed, we reached peak bike a long time ago, and a whole smattering of world records and near-records that still stand dating back to the 1980s back it up. Are shifters and deraillers and gearing and comfort better? Absolutely. But everything we've been fed about aero frames and wheels and handlebars and hidden cables since, perhaps the 1990s, if not the 80s, have been hollow claims.

I actually own an SL6 Tarmac. Lovely bike. Is it faster than a well-maintained bike from 1989? Not at all, but it looks nice and it rides well. Just because I disagree with Specialized's tactics doesn't make me a grumpy old codger.

But anyway, back on topic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

ill principe wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:56 pm
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0oL0cpoi14 ... syeo8d49h6

All four new colours
There is some more colours for the Tarmac, more fun than those. But was included in the early launch so think we'll have to wait for a redesigned frame.