Water bottle recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moyboy

by moyboy

Yes! I have one from a grand fondo i did and tried it the other day finally and now it's in the trash. Self closing while trying to drink.... horrible!
guyc wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:56 am
The Fly bottles are absolute shit. They crinkle after a few decent squeezes and half the time the spouts self-close as you’re drinking.

Purist all the way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:51 pm
For (Specialized) Purist bottles,
there are 3 cap style top to choose from.
MoFlo (pull to open, push down to close)
Fixy (squeeze to release water)
Watergate (squeze to release, with also push to close cap)

Rather than purchasing all three caps to test, I think i should just ask here.
I wonder if there is a different hand force required to get the water out?
Does MoFlo let out more water with less squezing force?

I have not noticed a difference. My Watergate caps are easier to keep clean, but the flaps on the cap now get stuck open after multiple cleanings. The MoFlo caps have a very inconsistent stream. Rather than a straight jet of water, they have what can only be described as a turbulent/messy flow.

madik

by madik

The Purist bottles got me interested as people seems to like it a lot. However having a specialized branded product on my bike would be very unpleasant and the bottles are quite expensive. So to my surprice the Purist bottles are not exclusive to Specialized. From my quick search in few shops I found some bottles from Wolftooth (only MoFlo and Fixie valve tho), Enve, Crankbrothers and Fox which has Purist in the product name and looks alike.
Anyone knows who is the original manufacturer or what is Purist with Watergate valve alternative to Specialized?
Functionality > Performance > Weight

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Purists are made by Specialized...they even have their own building at the headquarters in Morgan Hill. They're popular with other brands because 1) they're easy to customize and 2) they're just a no-nonsense standard shape that fits in any bottle cage. The same can't really be said for CamelBak 2.0 and 3.0 Podiums, Tacx bottles or Elite bottles.

Almost any shop-branded bottle here will be a Purist. Even the local chain Trek dealer uses custom Purists.

jwalther

by jwalther

Any recommendations for stainless bottles? My wife can't stand the taste of water out of plastic.
2023 Capitol Bicycles Custom Ti
2019 Felt Breed 30
2013 Co-Motion Supremo when the wife wants to ride

madik

by madik

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:47 am
Purists are made by Specialized...they even have their own building at the headquarters in Morgan Hill. They're popular with other brands because 1) they're easy to customize and 2) they're just a no-nonsense standard shape that fits in any bottle cage. The same can't really be said for CamelBak 2.0 and 3.0 Podiums, Tacx bottles or Elite bottles.

Almost any shop-branded bottle here will be a Purist. Even the local chain Trek dealer uses custom Purists.
Ok thanks for the info. I can only buy someting here. And the here is Europe :) Thinking about the Wolftooth MoFlo but the valve is worse than the Watergate valve so not sure if its the right choice :) . https://r2-bike.com/WOLFTOOTH-Bottle-Gr ... ack-750-ml

quick google searching for Purist Watergate found a few but that would require an expensive shipping from ebay or amazon.
https://shop4-h.org/products/22-oz-purist-water-bottle
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... e&_sacat=0

Also looking at the new CamelBak Podium 3.0 as it appears to be improved in several ways: easier to clean and lighter (around 40g less than 2.0). Right now I am almost happy with 2.0 but it stinks a little in hot weather and the membrane is impossible to clean. Yeah and its super heavy (around 115g for 750ml model).
Functionality > Performance > Weight

addictR1

by addictR1

Are the elite or purist bottles 40mm wide? I bought some lightweight bottle cage but limited to 40mm wide. So my camel or polar at 42mm won’t fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouisN

by LouisN

I like Purist from Specialized but can't have them for decent price here.
I bought Camelback Podium's latest versions this year (after my daughter showed me how to dismantle the top :oops: and put it in the dishwasher).
I like them a lot !! Never had any problems with it in my Arundel Dave-O cages, very tight !!
Once you get the hang of how and where to press them they are fine. And durable :thumbup: !!

Louis :)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The gradual taper of the Podium 3.0 makes them more likely to wiggle out of bottle cages. Not a problem on most roads, but if you ride backroads that haven’t seen repaving in many years, they absolutely will eject if you don’t constantly push them down again. This has happened with my Blackburn Cinch, Bontrager Pro and XXX cages.

Podium 2.0s are less likely to eject because they bulge out in the center...but that also makes them a tight fit in cages with a fully enclosed loop. Also the lack of a true neck makes them sit awkwardly against the retainer tab on most cages.

Stick to Purists or other bottles with the traditional shape.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

LouisN

by LouisN

Nah. I have the right combo, and will keep using these Camelbacks, I love them, better than the V2's !!
Most of eastern canadian roads are totally destroyed by very cold winters and poor road construction QC.
If they weren't held fine, they would have flown off many times a while ago.

LOuis :)

sfo423

by sfo423

Any suggestions for bottles for 74mm cages ( other than Elite)?

kgt

by kgt

Why did Camelbak change the diameter of their bottles?
My new podium (first photo) has like a 2-3mm smaller diameter than the older one (second photo). In practice it is unusable. Are they serious?

Unniti

by Unniti

I like the dimensions of the new design much more. Also the cap works much better and is much easier to clean.

guyc

by guyc

Agreed - the old ones were very fussy about which cage you used. I suspect the redesign is partly based on that feedback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

The cap is better but the diameter is too small IMHO. Which cages are you using?