Tubular Corsa G+ Black Walls Latex or Butyl inside?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

Few months ago i ordered 4 tubular tires Corsa G+ black sidewalls, with part number 111.1.cx.00.25.111tg

Now time to install some of them, and i was a bit suprised that there is almost no air loosing while streching on the rim...

Googling around i realized that there is an offer of Corsa G+ black sidewalls with Butyl instead of Latex inside..

So how to know for sure if my 4 tires are Latex or Butyl version, beside expectint to loose air overnight if they are latex inside?

And what's the story beside this Butyl version? I did not even know that there is that kind of Corsa G+ version...

Declared weight on the label is 290 gm

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I can't help you but....

A while ago Vittoria used to make a triathlon variant with butyl tubes so that athletes could rack their bikes overnight without too much pressure loss.

Josh Poertner stated on one of his podcasts (I think) that Vittoria are adding graphene to latex tubes to improve air retention.

I truly hope they aren't switching wholesale to butyl - one of the last key selling points of tubs would be lost.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

My clincher Vittoria Corsa G2.0 tan wall also reduce pressure loss rate of my latex tube.

I pulled out Continental GP5000 and replace with Corsa G2.0 re-using same old latex tube.
At first the pressure loss was almost normal. Then after a rain ride, i noticed that the latex tube loss pressure much less than usual.
I'm curious so i inspect and found out that the latex tube kinda stick into the Cotton. And, unlike Corsa G+, the Corsa G2.0's cotton appear to have some extra coating on top. I think that coating is some what airtight. Then what happen when tire is somewhat airtight, and rim is almost airtight (except at the valve)? I almost create a pseudo tubeless set-up...

I'm curious, on tubular set-up, can't they just make it air tight without any tube inside the tire, using the same coating that they use for tubeless version?

joejack951

by joejack951

petromyzon wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:47 am
A while ago Vittoria used to make a triathlon variant with butyl tubes so that athletes could rack their bikes overnight without too much pressure loss.
Seems like they still do: https://www.vittoria.com/us/triathlon-s ... -race.html

JerryLook

by JerryLook

69847A18-25AD-49D9-B563-8AA510619F2A.png
On Merlin they offer some different versions. Looks like the butyl version is 290 grams. Here is a screenshot of the page.

My vittoria tubs with latex tubes leak air like crazy. They are flat within 4-5 days.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

robertbb

by robertbb

JerryLook wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:18 pm

On Merlin they offer some different versions. Looks like the butyl version is 290 grams. Here is a screenshot of the page.

My vittoria tubs with latex tubes leak air like crazy. They are flat within 4-5 days.
You're lucky they hold on that long. Mine would lose 10PSI after a long day in the saddle. Never going with Latex-tubed-tubulars again.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I have better luck with latex tubes in clinchers. They take over a week to go flat. Probably because they are thicker than the tubes in tubs.

I don’t mind pumping my tires up before every ride. It’s just something that’s part of my pre-ride check now.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

Denavelo

by Denavelo

robertbb wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:11 am
JerryLook wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:18 pm

You're lucky they hold on that long. Mine would lose 10PSI after a long day in the saddle. Never going with Latex-tubed-tubulars again.
Riding a tubular with a butyl tube sounds backwards. The benefits of tubular tires are the soft/plush ride from the latex inner and sew up construction. The only time I opted for a butyl tube, was when I got a bunch of tubular tires repaired by Tire Doctor in FL. This was to make these repaired tires spares, in the event I got an on road flat.. This is the reason why I'll never run GP4000 tubular tires or conti gatorskins tubular tires. What's the point of riding crappy tubular tires on good wheels. You don't buy a sports car and put Nankang tires on it!

Pumping your tubular tires up before a ride, when they lose air is actually a good thing. This way you can pre-check your tires for gashes or cuts before you ride..
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

robertbb

by robertbb

I wouldn't call the Continental competitions "crappy" by any stretch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Does a small amount (15-20mL) of sealant help retaining air in latex inner tube?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10