K Edge SRM with EPS FD

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Ive seen the thread from the past, but wondering if anyone has come up with any other solutions to make the K Edge Chain Catch with magnet work with an EPS FD shy of cutting some threads... The K Edge instructions state that an adapter for EPS would be available, but I think those instructions are as old as the catcher!

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Sooo I beleive I have come up with a very simple solution, and all it involves is a piece of heatshrink!
I tested this on an odd piece of metal laying around just to confirm it would work.
Needed - Campagnolo chain catch, K Edge SRM chain catch (had one laying around I was sent a long time ago for testing by K Edge)

The Campagnolo chain catch has a spine down the back side of it which pretty well eliminated any plans of drilling/tapping it out to fit the K Edge moveable magnet assembly...
So I took the Magnet piece off and discovered that it conveniently snugs up pretty nice along the spine with hardly any overlap to the front edge.
Im not one for permanent glueing , so I thought heatshrink!
Like I said I put the magnet mount against another piece of metal and used about a half inch long piece of heat shrink, slid it over the magnet attachment point and metal, took the gun to it and shrunk it... there was no way the two are coming apart, and then there is no need to grind any bolts or cut EPS derailleur threads to make an SRM crank work with an EPS setup!
Im lucky I have the 2 pieces in hand, otherwise it would cost you the price of both catchers which aren't exactly cheap..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

ParisCarbon wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:23 pm
Ive seen the thread from the past, but wondering if anyone has come up with any other solutions to make the K Edge Chain Catch with magnet work with an EPS FD shy of cutting some threads... The K Edge instructions state that an adapter for EPS would be available, but I think those instructions are as old as the catcher!
Why do you need a magnet?
Or why do you need a magnet on the chain catcher?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

The srm needs a magnet to activate the reed switch. . No cadence .. no power data...