2019 Sram Force ETAP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

The force brakes use the same caliper as the new 2020 Sram Level ultimate and TLM. They use a center pin brake pad that is not the same as all the other road calipers.
Pad number 00.5318.024.000. Not available in the USA and not shippable to the USA. No compound or backing plate choices.

Even though the outline is slightly different, I believe that this older Sram pad will work.
https://www.amazon.com/Sram-Elixir-Brak ... R39TQ7XR96

Compatable with:
Trickstuff Piccola and Cleg 2
Magura: MT 8/6/4/2
Campagnolo: H11, Potenza, Chorus, Record, Super Record
Avid: DB1, DB3, Elixir 1, Elixir 3, Elixir 5, Elixir 7, Elixir 9, Elixir C, Elixir R, Elixir CR, Elixir CR Mag, Elixir Carbon
SRAM: VIA GT, DB5, X0, XX, XX World Cup, Level, Level T, Level TL, Force ETAP AXS HRD
Ride fast Take chances

zinedrei

by zinedrei

Alexbn921 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:34 pm
Garmin integration has gear, battery, power and cadence. All work as they should.
thanks for the review
i am still waiting for mine since the LBS doesn't have 165mm crank arm in stock and i was told it will take 60 days to arrive

a query about the garmin integration.
i use a forerunner 935 (triathlete wannabee). would i need to install any addons to see the gears on my garmin? (this is my first elec gs so i have no ideas)

tia...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Question: why are they offering all those upgrade kits?
With the old 11sp Etap, upgrade kits made sense: you could still use your old cassette, chain and crankset. Now, with 12sp ETAP, this is not possible. You need of course a 12sp casette, chain and (thats the worst part) a new dedicated crankset.
Or did I miss something?
If I'm right it is impossible to use an exisiting Quarq for example.
So, why the upgrade kits?

zinedrei

by zinedrei

Daniel1975 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:59 am
Question: why are they offering all those upgrade kits?
need to add the freehub body as well.
the one for CK costs 309usd and even if you are willing to spend that amount, it's out of stock :shock:

https://chrisking.com/products/r45d-xdr-conversion-kit

AnkitS

by AnkitS

@zinedrei what are people expecting when they buy from CK? It's a boutique "bling" product and therefore they can charge what they want. The axle itself is 100$ drive shell, drive shell bearings and small parts make up the rest of the difference. It is the buyer's responsibility to research replacement part pricing before committing to a hub. 309$ is not unreasonable for Chris King and people purchasing their hubs should know that.
Novatech xdr freehub is 60$
DtSwiss xdr freehub is 100$
Mavic xdr freehub is 80$
Zipp 177/nsw xdr freehub is 70$ // 120$ respectively
Pricing for all of these brands is standard and close to what they have charged for replacement/alternative freehub bodies in the past. New standards are obviously going to be expensive but saying that the xdr freehub is more expensive than other freehubs is blasphemy...

zinedrei

by zinedrei

@icantaffordcycling i completely get it that manufacturers can charge whatever they want.
it's just interesting to note that a convertion kit costs more than the actual front hub itself

blasphemous or not, i cant recall anyone here mentioned about the freehub costs compared to other models' freehub.

those that have bought the hub before the axs groupset was released have no way to foresee that a sram freehub will cost more than a campy one :)

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Understood. I misunderstood what you were trying to say in your previous post.

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

But the question remains: why the upgrade kits?

gbrnole

by gbrnole

zinedrei wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:08 am
@icantaffordcycling i completely get it that manufacturers can charge whatever they want.
it's just interesting to note that a convertion kit costs more than the actual front hub itself

blasphemous or not, i cant recall anyone here mentioned about the freehub costs compared to other models' freehub.

those that have bought the hub before the axs groupset was released have no way to foresee that a sram freehub will cost more than a campy one :)
CK engagement design doesn't use anything that remotely resembles a traditional freehub body. The conversion kit is about fifty percent parts of the overall rear hub and the price is about 66% the price of a new CK rear hub so there is a decent markup but a lot more going into this conversion than for traditional hub designs. I really wish it was less expensive but that basically, instant engagement comes at a pretty hefty price.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Daniel1975 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:19 pm
What upgrade kit? Nothing is compatible with 11 speed. You need a whole new group.
Ride fast Take chances

zinedrei

by zinedrei

Alexbn921 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:14 pm
Daniel1975 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:19 pm
What upgrade kit? Nothing is compatible with 11 speed. You need a whole new group.
i think what he is asking is why are upgrade kits being offered when in fact, you basically need to buy a whole groupset plus the compatible freehub to use the system.

perhaps in the future, there will be third party manufacturers who will make separate parts like a chainset and cassette

jlok

by jlok

Upgrade kits to mix and match between Red and Force?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

zinedrei

by zinedrei

jlok wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:20 am
Upgrade kits to mix and match between Red and Force?
this makes sense as well.
i am contemplating on this setup since i really dont like the idea of having a disposable power meter so i planned on getting the Red AXS with Force crank with pm but decided to go Force all the way instead.

Discodan

by Discodan

jlok wrote:Upgrade kits to mix and match between Red and Force?
That would be too sensible. At least in Australia you could only buy Red AXS as upgrade sets without cranks and cassette and that was before Force was released, god knows what the logic was

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

zinedrei wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:16 am
i think what he is asking is why are upgrade kits being offered when in fact, you basically need to buy a whole groupset plus the compatible freehub to use the system.
This :-)

This is the main reason why i don’t like the AXS. Nothing is compatible with anything else.
And Campy only EPS on the way overpriced SR groupset.
I wonder what Shimano is going to do with the new 12sp groupset.