Moving hoods inwards - possible, recommended?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

Hi all,

When I ride my bike, 90% of the time I am between the drops and the "sphinx" position, which I can both hold for a very long time thanks to my monkey arms. The latter is comfy (once my triceps warm up, the initial minutes are torture!), but I cannot help but think that I'd be even comfier if the hoods were slightly tilted inwards. Kinda in a Campagnolo-esque way. My hands also get numb and I wonder whether it's because I keep my wrist at an angle.

I thought about switching to narrower handlebars but a) it would be a pain b) it would be expensive since I have an aero carbon handlebar and c) it's not guaranteed that I'll like how it feels.

Now, not sure if relevant, but I run Di2 Disc.

So, is it possible to do this, and is there any potential negative side effect? Is it easy* to do, or would I be better off going to a LBS for it?

*I am mechanically inept and very clumsy.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Many of us do this already. If you look at your idle hand in a neutral position, your grip is naturally curved inward a little bit

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

Minor adjustments on hood position can be done even without removing the bar tape, because even a small change in hood angle produces a tremendous effect. In my opinion everybody should think about it and adjust accordingly, because it increases control and safety as well as comfort. Classic "levers straight ahead" may not be the best position.

If you have a delicate handlebar, just take care not to over-tighten them once you have them as desired. If you don't have a torque wrench available, a good approach is to try tightening the bolts first to get a feel of how tight they should be when finishing the job. Also, take care to have good purchase on the bolt's head as usually those are at a difficult angle on the lever's upper side.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

"mechanically inept" and "carbon aero bar" in the same sentence worry me. If it's a small adjustment your local bike shop will probably just do it for free.

robeambro

by robeambro

Thanks guys. Good to hear that not only it is possible without compromising eg. shifting/braking, but it is also recommended!

I don't really have a relationship with a LBS at the moment, so I'll see. I may leave this to a later date.

However, if I were to try by myself, I assume that there is no specified torque for those screws, and upon doing my changes I should re-tighten by feel according to how tight it was?

Jugi

by Jugi

The levers most likely have a 6Nm torque recommendation. Check your handlebar's installation manual for it's torque limits, which may be less than 6Nm.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

This:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 am
Many of us do this already. If you look at your idle hand in a neutral position, your grip is naturally curved inward a little bit
in all honesty. this is the answer to your question. I have my shifters setup a little inward as well. If you'd ask me, shifters pointing straight forward is a sign of a lazy mechanic, or one not in the know.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Pierre86

by Pierre86

I've had mine inwards for quite a while, gives a good aero wide arm pursuit position if you just grab the tops of the shifters and rest your forearms on the tops
S6 Evo
S5 Aero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Canting levers even slightly inward also helps prevent fall damage.