130mm 29er trail bike @ 25-26lbs?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jcrr

by jcrr

@anykarthik- Now I will have to check out Preston, but Grand Ridge, Raging River, Olallie, Tiger are all good examples of long climbs I prefer. And while the downhill is fun and worth it after all the climbing, I am much more into going up. No problems admitting my sense of mortality is also pretty high, so some stuff on OTG @ Tiger but more-so on No Service @ RR is the top end of my comfort zone, and I find the amount of travel I have adequate. I should also say I'm a lighter rider, both in weight and riding.
Last, I'm going to say 40k feet of vert sounds insane, like getting-Ti-bolts-and-nylon-washers-and-using-dremmel-and-drill-on-stuff insane.

@LeDuke- Would you mind sharing what makes that Intense Sniper your next choice & how much travel you are considering? That thing looks serious
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Sure.

It’s a light weight, very efficient bike with modern, aggressive geometry.

The frame can be run at both 108mm and 120mm with the removal of a spacer in the shock. So, with 10 minutes of work you can have both a pure XC bike and something that used to be described as a “marathon” bike. Meaning, a light, longer-than-XC travel bike that will rarely if ever hold you back.

Having taken one out on a good demo ride, it’s one of the few bikes I’ve ridden that had no bob at all in the “trail” (“open”, “trail”, “lock”) setting. Just turned energy into forwards and upwards progress with minimal waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

anykarthik

by anykarthik

Wow that Intense is seriously light! 4lb frame according to Intense.

What's surprising is that the next bike (i.e. more travel) is the Primer (130/140mm) and that frame is apparently 6.1lb. Two pounds!

That said, Intense still claims their GX-level build is 27lbs with that frame. I find that dubious since no other manufacturer hits 27lbs with 6lb frames (very common). Maybe 27lbs for their smallest size?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

anykarthik wrote:Wow that Intense is seriously light! 4lb frame according to Intense.

What's surprising is that the next bike (i.e. more travel) is the Primer (130/140mm) and that frame is apparently 6.1lb. Two pounds!

That said, Intense still claims their GX-level build is 27lbs with that frame. I find that dubious since no other manufacturer hits 27lbs with 6lb frames (very common). Maybe 27lbs for their smallest size?
I’d start here:

Intense Sniper
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

I have a 2015 Santa Cruz 5010 (yeah it's 27.5) but it's right at 25lbs with totally trail worthy components. 140mm Pike fork, DVO topaz shock full 11 speed XX1 and 38mm wide carbon rims. It's the lttle things.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

LeDuke wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:07 am
I’d start here:

Intense Sniper
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
I'd start here:

Maximum Recommended Rider Weight 200lbs

I only mention it b/c I'm looking for a "marathon" (50-100mi) bike and ruled out the Sniper b/c I'm right on the line (210 this winter :D ) and a people have mentioned the flex on the rear. (some in the MTBR thread even)

I'm thinking Tallboy or OizTr, but I think that will still be 26-28lbs, depending on build. If anyone has anyother suggestions, I'm all ears.

Sammy

by Sammy

A bit late here but I have a 28lb alloy Fuel EX that I reckon I could get down to 26 if I went all in and had a carbon frame. It's 130 front and back.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

scant

by scant

its shorter on travel than you've asked for, but take a demo test ride on the santa cruz blur (with the step cast fox 34 120mm fork). its surprisingly capable / stable & 24lbs is fairly easily even with bigger tyres & dropper seatpost

anykarthik

by anykarthik

Sammy wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:33 pm
A bit late here but I have a 28lb alloy Fuel EX that I reckon I could get down to 26 if I went all in and had a carbon frame. It's 130 front and back.

Yea the Fuel Ex is one of the easiest I think to get down to 25-26lbs if you start with the carbon frame. The 2017 9.9 model was 25.xx lbs stock in a size medium I think.

scant

by scant

I had a fuel ex9.9 about 45ears ago & with a rigid post it was 23.5lb if that helps... & that was triple crankset era!

anykarthik

by anykarthik

I pulled the trigger on a bike - 2019 Scott Genius 900 Tuned (Large). Frame weight is supposed to be 2400g with shock and is one of the lightest out there.

I made the following mods:
- DT Swiss XMC1200 wheels in place of stock alu wheels = -300g
- KS Lev Carbon dropper in place of Fox Transfer = -150g
- Front tire is Maxxis DHF 29x2.6 3c/exo/tr = +200g (rear is still the stock Rekon 29x2.6 which is light at ~760g)

Setup tubeless with 4oz of sealant per tire and with Crank Bros Candy pedals, bike came in at 28.5 lbs. This is for a 150/150 bike. So not bad. Only scope for further weight loss without loss of all-mountain/trail capability is to switch out the 6-bolt rotors that came with the bike with centerlock ones. That would be:
- Centerlock rotors = - ~50g
- No CL adapters required = -80g

If I truly want to make it marathon-ready, I do the following:
- XC tires = ~ -400g
- rigid seatpost = ~ -200g

So at best, about 27lbs.

That's more than I was hoping (25lbs), but it is probably the best one-bike solution for my normal riding with the potential for a marathon event. The suspension tuning is fairly efficient for pedalling. And with Twinloc, it becomes a very capable climber.

Sammy

by Sammy

Might not be the lightest but with 150/150 you'll be having more fun for sure!

TheRich

by TheRich

Definitely switch to centerlock rotors in order to use the Shimano Freeza-or-whatever-they're-called-now rotors.

joeg26er

by joeg26er

jcrr wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:56 pm
@anykarthik- Now I will have to check out Preston, but Grand Ridge, Raging River, Olallie, Tiger are all good examples of long climbs I prefer. And while the downhill is fun and worth it after all the climbing, I am much more into going up. No problems admitting my sense of mortality is also pretty high, so some stuff on OTG @ Tiger but more-so on No Service @ RR is the top end of my comfort zone, and I find the amount of travel I have adequate. I should also say I'm a lighter rider, both in weight and riding.
Last, I'm going to say 40k feet of vert sounds insane, like getting-Ti-bolts-and-nylon-washers-and-using-dremmel-and-drill-on-stuff insane.

@LeDuke- Would you mind sharing what makes that Intense Sniper your next choice & how much travel you are considering? That thing looks serious
I've had my eye on this bike - $2999 Carbon horst link 29er and claimed sub 24lbs!! ? The one in the middle - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/29e ... carbon29er

anykarthik

by anykarthik

joeg26er wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:41 pm

I've had my eye on this bike - $2999 Carbon horst link 29er and claimed sub 24lbs!! ? The one in the middle - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/29e ... carbon29er
Well they are just gaming the numbers in their comparison against Trek and Spesh. For one, no dropper post. That's a pound. Second, 345 gram Maxxlites?? Which trail style rider uses a tire like that? A normal set of tires for regular trail riding will weigh about 2-3 lbs more.

So when you equip it for actual trail riding, add 3-4 lbs without pedals. That's actually not bad, but with the kind of games they seem to be playing, I wouldn't trust that number either. I mean that's the weight for what size for example?

I prefer to look for frame weights and go from there since the other components can be equalized more or less. That's why I ended up with the Genius. Lighter frame than a yeti sb100, ibis Ripley, trek fuel ex for example. And for a more aggressive geometry with 150mm travel. That said, it's no 4lb xc frame (which will also have lighter tires, fork etc attached to it).

A more skilled rider will probably get away with the new crop of "downcountry" 120/100 bikes being made, on the trails I ride. I sacrificed about 2-3 lbs to get that higher safety margin.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com