What’s your favorite saddle?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:35 am
I wish there were a synthetic black option for the SMP saddles...the leather cover isn’t as durable as the microtex.
The leather feels sticky which I dont really care for so I took some silicone wax wash too it and it felt better. Guess the next one will be in Italian Green if the leather doesnt hold out too well. Or peel off the leather once it wears out.
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"-Albert Einstein
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

alber84

by alber84

It is clear that having a good culotte helps to support any type of saddle. I've been a carbon lupine berk for a couple of months and there's a lot of difference between wearing a good culotte to one of the bad ones

by Weenie

trimenc

by trimenc

addictR1 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:18 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:36 am
addictR1 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 pm
What about Dash Cycle strike saddle? Anyone tried that before? If so how was it?

I do long rides like 50-100milers so looking at alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the TTsaddle... pretty much looks like the same saddle to me online anyways... generally I dont do anything long with it since it's on my TT bike... so 2 hours max. It's pretty comfy but I kinda doubt it's a 4-5hr kind of saddle.
yea i'm kinda tempted to give their demo program a try... but if it don't fit.. that's $50 down the drain. but if it fits well, then i may just swing for the fences and get the seat+seatpost combo and drop some more weight on my TMR02.
I did in fact swing for the fences and have the seat+seatpost combo, but don't use it much as I spend time on my TT bike more than my road bike. I would consider letting it go if you want to chat.

addictR1

by addictR1

trimenc wrote:
addictR1 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:18 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:36 am
addictR1 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 pm
What about Dash Cycle strike saddle? Anyone tried that before? If so how was it?

I do long rides like 50-100milers so looking at alternatives.

I have the TTsaddle... pretty much looks like the same saddle to me online anyways... generally I dont do anything long with it since it's on my TT bike... so 2 hours max. It's pretty comfy but I kinda doubt it's a 4-5hr kind of saddle.
yea i'm kinda tempted to give their demo program a try... but if it don't fit.. that's $50 down the drain. but if it fits well, then i may just swing for the fences and get the seat+seatpost combo and drop some more weight on my TMR02.
I did in fact swing for the fences and have the seat+seatpost combo, but don't use it much as I spend time on my TT bike more than my road bike. I would consider letting it go if you want to chat.
Pm sent

sfo423

by sfo423

I was riding an Arione and switched to a Arione Open and on a 3+ hour ride I get numb and need to stand a lot to get the flow going. Was reading up on some saddles and was curious if anyone has a comparison to a Prologo Nago Evo PAS, Prologo Dimension and a PRO Turnix Ti AF Saddle.

Saddles are personal; I know. But I think I'll try to buy some used ones to test.

gbrnole

by gbrnole

Favorite is the Bontrager Serano. I can comfortably use that on road or MTB. For time spent in the tuck on the road bike I also like the Bontrager Montrose but I find it pretty brutal in a more upright position.

Specialized saddles kill me as do newer selle italia. Fizik Arione I find ok until I go numb then it has gotta go!

willmac

by willmac

sfo423 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:44 pm
I was riding an Arione and switched to a Arione Open and on a 3+ hour ride I get numb and need to stand a lot to get the flow going. Was reading up on some saddles and was curious if anyone has a comparison to a Prologo Nago Evo PAS, Prologo Dimension and a PRO Turnix Ti AF Saddle.

Saddles are personal; I know. But I think I'll try to buy some used ones to test.
Switched from Arione to prologo dimension and really happy. I have around 10/11cm saddle to bar drop and ride in the drops regularly. I’m not sure if she has something to do with it but I found myself getting a bit numb recently on 100km + rides. Each to their own and I was a bit reluctant due to the width but it works ok

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

willmac wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 pm

Switched from Arione to prologo dimension and really happy. I have around 10/11cm saddle to bar drop and ride in the drops regularly. I’m not sure if she has something to do with it but I found myself getting a bit numb recently on 100km + rides. Each to their own and I was a bit reluctant due to the width but it works ok
Saddle fit is extremely personal, but...

Being able to reach a fairly large drop like you have involves several parts of your anatomy. When you bend over to reach your toes, your body primarily hinges at two points...your hip sockets and the base of your lower back. A lot of people with poor hip flexion compensate by bending the lower back more. People with good hip flexibility and aggressive drop tend to find perineal relief by dropping the nose of their saddles or using ISM, Dash, Cobb, ISM or other stub-nosed saddles. People with less hip rotation and more lower back bend sit more squarely on the flare and are usually better off with a level saddle.

Sounds to me like you have decent hip flexibility so the Dimension with its stubby, but wider nose and cutout supports your pubic rami while also providing relief for your soft tissue.

sfo423

by sfo423

I have a lot of drop as you do (~10cm). Did you run your Arione flat or nose tilted down?

My max hip flexion is pretty good; recently measured at 62d and a trunk tilt at 43d. Sounds like from a textbook perspective a Dimension may be a good candidate.

willmac wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 pm
sfo423 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:44 pm

kdawg

by kdawg

I’ve had the same style of Specialized Phenom on 4 bikes but they’re getting worn out and they don’t make them anymore. Tried another one and it was like sitting on an axe after just a few miles.

I’ve been thinking about it for a while but decided to try a Brooks B17 (although a team pro may be better). Only rode about 5 miles today but it was like sitting in an old armchair. I’m hoping it will improve with time.

Once I’ve decided I might try and get a titanium one but so far the weight penalty is worth it for me.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

willmac

by willmac

I ran my Arione with the front section level. Made it look like it was slightly nose down.

CLEAR

by CLEAR

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:22 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:35 am
I wish there were a synthetic black option for the SMP saddles...the leather cover isn’t as durable as the microtex.
The leather feels sticky which I dont really care for so I took some silicone wax wash too it and it felt better. Guess the next one will be in Italian Green if the leather doesnt hold out too well. Or peel off the leather once it wears out.

Funny, that we feel the same. I also didnt care for black leather stickyness. Been using them since 2012, luckily all black leather covers held up fine, been using silicone wax, or pledge spray. Almost all my smp are black leather, except 2 white dynamic and composite. Of course the full carbon lasted the longest without wear

Speedman

by Speedman

sfo423 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:46 pm
I have a lot of drop as you do (~10cm). Did you run your Arione flat or nose tilted down?

My max hip flexion is pretty good; recently measured at 62d and a trunk tilt at 43d. Sounds like from a textbook perspective a Dimension may be a good candidate.
Can you explain me your method to mesure your flexion ?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Just guessing, but his method was likely going to a fitter who then measured with a goniometer.

by Weenie

dim

by dim

I'm back to the Brooks C17 Cambium Carved .... I have not had a more comfortable saddle than this, and I don't even need padded bibs .... I don't care if it weighs a bit more .... it's comfort on long rides that is most important for me
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand